Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Footwear

• 16-05-2021 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭

Coaching a few under 8’s in hurling. Weather has been gammy lately and wet ground etc.
    Only have runners.
    What do the rest of ye wear for this? Most of ye probably have boots I guess… but haven’t played in a good few years so don’t own any now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

obi604 wrote: »
    Coaching a few under 8’s in hurling. Weather has been gammy lately and wet ground etc.
    Only have runners.
    What do the rest of ye wear for this? Most of ye probably have boots I guess… but haven’t played in a good few years so don’t own any now.

A friend of mine swears by golf shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I coach kids rugby and wear a pair of puma boots with molded studs. Went out of my way to find a very cheap pair. I’ve had them a few years now as they aren’t ever kicking a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,457 ✭✭✭obi604

salmocab wrote: »
    I coach kids rugby and wear a pair of puma boots with molded studs. Went out of my way to find a very cheap pair. I’ve had them a few years now as they aren’t ever kicking a ball.

Thanks. Yeah. I’m kinda like you. The boots will never actually kick anything or get much usage. Want to get a cheap pair.
    Would Astro runners be any good I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Only have runners.

Have boots myself for wet days. You would pick up a pair cheap enough. They don't need to be too stylish for what you need them for!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

I'm in a similar position OP. Haven't had a pair of boots in years but am coaching an u-8 team this year. I got a pair of black puma football boots for less than €20 from Sports Direct. They'll do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

+1 for golf shoes. If not a golfer should get a pair for around €40. Waterproof with a decent grip etc.
    Flashy white optional extra :cool::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

+1 for golf shoes. If not a golfer should get a pair for around €40. Waterproof with a decent grip etc.
    Flashy white optional extra :cool::rolleyes:

+1 for me too. lots of options for waterproof & have grips similar to astroturf boots with a bit more comfort

I sometimes cannot get my head around seeing guys with good pair of say asics/nikes on a wet day on a muddy pitch/sideline...

Alternatively a cheap pair of astro/moulded studs, but they're not as comfy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Never worn a pair of golf shoes but use football boots for the teams I help to coach. Granted I'm still playing for the clubs junior side so they get used but you could do yourself an injury sliding around in runners.

Sports direct is the man for the job. Cheapest pair in your size could be got for 20 quid or less

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

dobman88 wrote: »
    Never worn a pair of golf shoes but use football boots for the teams I help to coach. Granted I'm still playing for the clubs junior side so they get used but you could do yourself an injury sliding around in runners.

Sports direct is the man for the job. Cheapest pair in your size could be got for 20 quid or less
    Astro turf boots are quite good too.. and you can walk on concrete and in dressing rooms etc without any trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

A decent pair of waterproof golf shoes will set you back a pretty penny. Might be worth asking any golfers you know, I have pairs in the shed that would still be waterproof but have gotten scruffy and rarely get used.

Cheapest golf shoe on sports direct at the moment afaik, just under €20, designed for summer golf so waterproofing probably not the best. If you're doing any kind of jogging/running the grips won't be much use either.

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/slazenger-casual-golf-shoes-mens-288011#colcode=28801105

I'd get a pair of cheap astro or football boots myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Astro turf boots are quite good too.. and you can walk on concrete and in dressing rooms etc without any trouble

Yeah, I wear the mouldies. Actually can't remember the last time I wore studs. They started digging into my feet years ago so stopped wearing them so I just buy a good pair of mouldies now. They do a fine job.

Thanks for all the replies, good ideas

im guessing golf shoes these days don't look like the old school golf shoes, where you knew straight away it was a golf shoe.

I may go with the astro boots in the end

these dont look too bad:

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/sondico-strike-astro-turf-trainers-268041#colcode=26804140

Is Sondico a brand from lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Thanks for all the replies, good ideas

im guessing golf shoes these days don't look like the old school golf shoes, where you knew straight away it was a golf shoe.

I may go with the astro boots in the end

these dont look too bad:

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/sondico-strike-astro-turf-trainers-268041#colcode=26804140

Is Sondico a brand from lidl?

It is like sports direct internal brand - owned by house of Fraser I think.

Yeah astros would be my second choice over the golf shoes - my main reason for avoiding the ultra cheap astros etc is I've had issues with arch support in the past hence the higher spec golf shoes - they definitely don't look like the golf shoes of old but will cost more that above astro...

It is like sports direct internal brand - owned by house of Fraser I think.

Yeah astros would be my second choice over the golf shoes - my main reason for avoiding the ultra cheap astros etc is I've had issues with arch support in the past hence the higher spec golf shoes - they definitely don't look like the golf shoes of old but will cost more that above astro...

Thanks again.

Are Astro’s ok on actual real grass?
    Presume they are not very waterproof.

Thanks again.

Are Astro’s ok on actual real grass?
    Presume they are not very waterproof.

Yes they're fine, more grip than a runner but wouldn't be suitable for playing a game on grass with them.

For an extra tenner, I'd go with these. Available in white or black. I've had a pair for a few years for astro football and they're bullet proof.

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/nike-majestry-tf-football-trainers-261240#colcode=26124030

You won't be getting waterproof shoes for any real reasonable price but those "resist" water fairly well.

PARlance wrote: »
    Yes they're fine, more grip than a runner but wouldn't be suitable for playing a game on grass with them.

For an extra tenner, I'd go with these. Available in white or black. I've had a pair for a few years for astro football and they're bullet proof.

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/nike-majestry-tf-football-trainers-261240#colcode=26124030

You won't be getting waterproof shoes for any real reasonable price but those "resist" water fairly well.

nice one, thanks

its an extra 20 for my size :(

nice one, thanks

its an extra 20 for my size :(

Ah crap, I hadn't noticed the jump in price. That's poor form imo.

PARlance wrote: »
    Ah crap, I hadn't noticed the jump in price. That's poor form imo.

Depends on the size. Like for other sizes, it’s indeed 33 Euro.

was in town yesterday and out of interest had a quick gander in physical shops, hardly any of them sell astro boots at all and any that do only have 1 or 2 pairs - slack enough

Advertisement