Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

XBox Remote Play

• 15-05-2021 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

First I just want to check if I have this right

With the xBox app and a wireless controller a person can play their xBox game library in their iPhone?

Second, does remote play also work if someone else is using the xBox and the same game at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

With remote play you are essentially turning on your Xbox and using the phone/tablet screen instead of your TV so someone else can't use it at the same time and you can play whatever is on your Xbox. Hope that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    With remote play you are essentially turning on your Xbox and using the phone/tablet screen instead of your TV so someone else can't use it at the same time and you can play whatever is on your Xbox. Hope that makes sense

I should have known it was too good to be true that we could have a second xBox.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

First I just want to check if I have this right

With the xBox app and a wireless controller a person can play their xBox game library in their iPhone?

Second, does remote play also work if someone else is using the xBox and the same game at the same time?
    As a bit of a fudge - If you use XCloud (Xbox Game Streaming) with Game Pass Ultimate, then you may be able to stream on your phone / PC / Tablet. If there's someone with Game Pass Ultimate plays on the Xbox on your TV.

It's a way of getting that couch co-op vibe, even for games without local co-op, with the two of you playing in the same room. We've had great craic with games like Sea of Thieve and Forza Hoizon 4 using this method.

The only catch there is that it requires to GPU subscriptions.

As a bit of a fudge - If you use XCloud (Xbox Game Streaming) with Game Pass Ultimate, then you may be able to stream on your phone / PC / Tablet. If there's someone with Game Pass Ultimate plays on the Xbox on your TV.

It's a way of getting that couch co-op vibe, even for games without local co-op, with the two of you playing in the same room. We've had great craic with games like Sea of Thieve and Forza Hoizon 4 using this method.

The only catch there is that it requires to GPU subscriptions.

I was told elsewhere that Remote Play is only possible when the xBox is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I was told elsewhere that Remote Play is only possible when the xBox is off.

There may be better explanations out there but I'll try and hope I'm not confusing nothings by adding in xcloud.

Remote play.
    You are using a phone or tablet screen instead of your TV screen. It uses your physical Xbox in your house in the exact same way it would if you were playing on your Xbox when connected to the TV.

Xcloud.
    Totally independent from your physical Xbox in your house. Uses Xbox server blades in MS server somewhere. No connection to your Xbox, you don't even need an Xbox to play games on xcloud.

• Advertisement

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    There may be better explanations out there but I'll try and hope I'm not confusing nothings by adding in xcloud.

Remote play.
    You are using a phone or tablet screen instead of your TV screen. It uses your physical Xbox in your house in the exact same way it would if you were playing on your Xbox when connected to the TV.

Xcloud.
    Totally independent from your physical Xbox in your house. Uses Xbox server blades in MS server somewhere. No connection to your Xbox, you don't even need an Xbox to play games on xcloud.

Remote Play - would it make a difference if the xBox was was running under my nephew’s profile and I was using the app with my xBox profile?

XCloud - I look this up and it seems to be an xBox version of Apple Arcade that is in a beta test and not taking new users. The type of game I’m interested in playing is Star Wars Battlefront. Plus xCloud will be Android only.

Remote Play - would it make a difference if the xBox was was running under my nephew’s profile and I was using the app with my xBox profile?

XCloud - I look this up and it seems to be an xBox version of Apple Arcade that is in a beta test and not taking new users. The type of game I’m interested in playing is Star Wars Battlefront. Plus xCloud will be Android only.
    Remote Play - As an example, my brother has an Xbox One X in another room that is my Home Xbox. I have an Xbox Series X in my room that is his home Xbox. From Remote Play, I have it set up for me to access the Series X via the App.

XCloud - this is like you have an Xbox, not in your house, but in another place (in this case Microsoft essentially have loads of Xboxes in their Data Centres around the world). You can access this by your phone, iPad or PC/Mac to play full Xbox 360 or Xbox One games from the Game Pass Ultimate library.

When playing these games, you have access to your full Xbox friends list, your achievements and most importantly your save games (so you can pick up from where you left off on your console, or the last time you played on your phone).

This last bit is ridiculous, just to test it out I fired up Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise (a game I hadn't played since the Xbox 360) and my save game was there and I could pick up from the save game from 8+ years ago.
    • XCloud is available on Android as a native App, or in the browser.
    • It is available on PC / Mac via https://xbox.com/play.
    • This is also available on iPhone / iPad using https://xbox.com/play from Safari (due to Apple not wanting streaming services in the App Store, apparently)

For the PC/Mac/iPhone/iPad, they just released this in beta a few weeks ago and are adding more users all the time.

Remote Play - As an example, my brother has an Xbox One X in another room that is my Home Xbox. I have an Xbox Series X in my room that is his home Xbox. From Remote Play, I have it set up for me to access the Series X via the App.

XCloud - this is like you have an Xbox, not in your house, but in another place (in this case Microsoft essentially have loads of Xboxes in their Data Centres around the world). You can access this by your phone, iPad or PC/Mac to play full Xbox 360 or Xbox One games from the Game Pass Ultimate library.

When playing these games, you have access to your full Xbox friends list, your achievements and most importantly your save games (so you can pick up from where you left off on your console, or the last time you played on your phone).

This last bit is ridiculous, just to test it out I fired up Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise (a game I hadn't played since the Xbox 360) and my save game was there and I could pick up from the save game from 8+ years ago.
    • XCloud is available on Android as a native App, or in the browser.
    • It is available on PC / Mac via https://xbox.com/play.
    • This is also available on iPhone / iPad using https://xbox.com/play from Safari (due to Apple not wanting streaming services in the App Store, apparently)

For the PC/Mac/iPhone/iPad, they just released this in beta a few weeks ago and are adding more users all the time.

So are all games on the xCloud? I can play Star Wars Battlefront on my iPhone?

So are all games on the xCloud? I can play Star Wars Battlefront on my iPhone?

Not all games, BattleFront being one of the examples that isn't. Perhaps because of EA Star Wars licencing.

On the other hand, there are 100-200 games that are available. Including the likes of Halo, Forza, Doom, Red Dead Online and many others. Windows Central have a current list available here: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-cloud-games-list

Not all games, BattleFront being one of the examples that isn't. Perhaps because of EA Star Wars licencing.

On the other hand, there are 100-200 games that are available. Including the likes of Halo, Forza, Doom, Red Dead Online and many others. Windows Central have a current list available here: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-cloud-games-list

Okay thank you.

Battlefront is the only game of real interest.

• Advertisement

Let the joyous news be spread - I've just seen that Star Wars Battlefront II is now playable via XCloud.

Now, if you could use your powers to predict the lottery numbers for me, please. 😁

Advertisement