Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LR Discovery Sport prices

• 14-05-2021 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭

Have these gone up in price insanely from new? A few years ago i was half looking at one as a company car and they were similar price to the 3 Series I got (€45-50k range). Now they're circa €60K!!!
    Was this due to the VRT changes?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

road_high wrote: »
    Have these gone up in price insanely from new? A few years ago i was half looking at one as a company car and they were similar price to the 3 Series I got (€45-50k range). Now they're circa €60K!!!
    Was this due to the VRT changes?

:P
    I was just thinking the same. I was looking at one and I said I must price new. It was f**ing crazy the price of them

I am sure they started before at 40k, they are not starting at 57k.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

ineedeuro wrote: »
    :P
    I was just thinking the same. I was looking at one and I said I must price new. It was f**ing crazy the price of them

I am sure they started before at 40k, they are not starting at 57k.

Yes that’s it- I swear when I was looking a few years ago they were comparable price to the 3 series- an alright spec one was from €45-50 k ish.
    The road tax seems to have taken a big hike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

All car prices have gone up substantially over the last few years here due to our punitive tax system. They changed the VRT system last year so your average car like a mid range spec Golf is now costing 30k+. You can thank the Greens for that and you can be sure Chelsea tractors like the Discovery were at the front their minds when doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    All car prices have gone up substantially over the last few years here due to our punitive tax system.

That's just not true Bazz. The retail price of a lot of Saloon / Hatch cars has hardly moved over the last 3 - 4 years.

The price of mid size Suv's upwards has gone crazy. A Tiguan Elegance Auto (2wd) is now €50,000 retail (or as close as makes no difference) and the list price of the base model Discovery diesel is over 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,971 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

All LRs have gone up in price, partly due to unit price increases by LR, party due to VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

R.O.R wrote: »
    That's just not true Bazz. The retail price of a lot of Saloon / Hatch cars has hardly moved over the last 3 - 4 years. /QUOTE]

Yep, pretty much. My sister is buying a newer car and the value of hatchbacks seems pretty good while crossovers are insane prices

• Registered Users Posts: 19,381 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Smaller hatchbacks have gone up substantially too. A decent Focus is the guys of €30k, a Fiesta €22k ish.
    Shame, cars were already very expensive anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

That's just not true Bazz. The retail price of a lot of Saloon / Hatch cars has hardly moved over the last 3 - 4 years.

The price of mid size Suv's upwards has gone crazy. A Tiguan Elegance Auto (2wd) is now €50,000 retail (or as close as makes no difference) and the list price of the base model Discovery diesel is over 100k.

Does the discovery not start in the 60s for a commercial and 80s for passenger versions?
    Which is still mad money by the way.

Are the emissions of the likes of a Tiguan much higher than an equivalent hatchback or saloon with same engine meaning its our tax system making them expensive, or is it that buyers now class any suv as premium and will pay much more than an equivalent non suv?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote: »
    All car prices have gone up substantially over the last few years here due to our punitive tax system. They changed the VRT system last year so your average car like a mid range spec Golf is now costing 30k+. You can thank the Greens for that and you can be sure Chelsea tractors like the Discovery were at the front their minds when doing so.

It’s not all tax though. It’s not long since a base model Golf was €22k, the manufacturers have loaded up the prices too.

Ref Land Rover pricing, here are the prices from 4 years ago. Note that the cheapest versions are crewcabs, the VRT on crewcabs changed in the meantime and is now emissions based. I think the crewcabs would have been proved ex VAT too?

EA855-F08-FC5-C-4-DD8-94-FA-BD2-EE614-CBED.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Prices of vehicles have gone up but especially SUV/Crossover
    Just look at the RAV4, it used to be circa 30k. Now starting is 40k and my mate priced up a decent spec and said it was 48k

I went to look at highlander, nice but was 73k, 73k for a Toyota. Crazy but I have seen them at the school drop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The last time a Rav4 was €30k was 2005, and that was for the 3 door.

Compare what you get now in terms of drivetrain/technology/refinement/size etc on a current Rav4 hybrid with what was on the 00-06 Rav4 and the new one looks like a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know you work in that area every day but from what I can see retail prices have gone way up on some very popular hatchbacks/saloons in the last number of years. Octavia, Passat for example seem to have increased in recent times. Maybe not all of it is down to VRT but retail prices have gone up, switching over to the WLTP system as well as spec changes may have contributed also I'd imagine but there is certainly a noticeable change in prices imo.

Advertisement