Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

26k per site in North Dublin vs 198k in South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

That’s mad stuff altogether. Perhaps people cop themselves on when the dust settles. They realise they got into bidding way over, step back, calm down and realise what’s happened Regarding a lot of SA falling through it would be interesting if there is any data on that. I wonder does the likes of IPPI have that in their datasets (if it’s even recorded anywhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

Highly doubtful. Sale can fall over for any reason at any stage and I don't see what any commercial value reporting of such would be. I agree though it would be interesting to see is it unusually high or just more evident given transactions numbers are excessively low by virtue of limited supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

+1 on this - albeit at significantly lower prices. I've been to view a couple of houses now that were sale agreed at the start of summer. Bidding much lower now but obviously final selling price remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The 2020 figures were the gross margin. Dropped considerably due to pandemic. In 2019 their profit before tax was in excess of 15%.

Excessive Senior exec pay comes into it in the context of actual cost of developing homes. Cairn's compensation package for the senior team goes into the millions (and subject to shareholder query last year), but they were kind enough to take a cut last year.

But in the context of the LDA delivering affordable homes, these €1m+ salaries and packages and the 15.6% profit before tax, show that it will not be difficult to deliver homes 25%-35% below the current market without incurring a loss (assuming land is not accounted for). Hence the LDA should be able to deliver its mandate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Looks like Evergrande tale is escalating.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/evergrande-suspends-trading-all-bonds

I'll put it this way. If the vacancy tax gets introduced, a lot of the REITS sitting on empty apartments might get restless. Will there really be a 33k per annum demand for houses once vacancy tax introduced.

I'd say Evergrande is unlikely to be a Lehman event but I wonder what it takes for global property to tumble...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Interesting when looking at projected world populations. Africa is projected to have a huge population boom while the Europe is set to go into decline.

It's strange to think that house prices in Europe are rising so fast despite a projected decline in population.🤨🤔🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Glenveaghs net margin, pre tax, was below 10% in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

This company should pose absolutely no systemic risk to the West but we know that there are some bond investors who handle pension money of Westerners (i.e. PIMCO and Blackrock) with exposure to Evergrande and are going to have to take a bath as the company has now said it cannot pay the interest on its debt let alone the principle. You even have investors storming the office and protesting, demanding their money back from them! I wonder though, whether there will be a wider issue with the impending Evergrande crash. If there is a wider risk, it could highlight the risks to global property investment by institutional investors (including Ireland investment by these global players).

Liquidity is there until it isn't and I don't know how these institutionals can hold swathes of properties vacant (ie Capital Dock, Landings) without needing any income whatsoever. But it hints that maybe something is working in the background that saves them from having to take haircuts on the rents being offered and actually be able to sustain low vacancy on extremely expensive properties.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Now that lockdown ended, most of those Capital Docks, Six Hanover Quay, Quayside Quarter (and couple other ones don't remember the names, that has high vacancy) will likely find tenant as early as this year, even without vacancy tax. Vacancy tax will make almost no difference to REITS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It would be great if chinese investors in Ireland had to sell to pay debts and they flood the market with properties.

0.1% chance of that though.

Many of these were empty before the pandemic. In fact, many have been empty since they were built. Still asking big rents.

They wasn't empty for long though before pandemic. They were build in 2019, there could be a large number of apartment with internal design and furnishing not completed before 2020.

The vacancy tax isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. It's a token gesture to make the government look like they're doing something.

I believe that essentially, it's just another property tax so like 400 or 500 euro a year. And people think cash rich REITs, who are currently keeping properties vacant via high rent prices, will be flocking to take on tenants at reduced rates, just to save a few hundred a year?

Unless the vacant tax is in the several thousand, it won't make a difference. These reits are already losing out on 25-35k a year in rental income just to keep their property values high. Even if the tax was 25k a year, they'd still be better off just paying the tax as a tenancy will mean management fees, will mean tax on income, will mean wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My company has rented a load of them for when people get back to work.

They are only paying half rent until December though as the apartments are empty.

Pretty sure other companies are doing the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That last part makes no sense. You are saying they are better losing 25k a year and having their cashflow reduced by 25k a year instead of renting it because they will have to pay tax on the rental income. Even with costs and taxes they will make more than losing 25k to a vacancy tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No he is saying if Reits ate deliberately keeping apartments empty to keep rents high another 500euro in a vacancy tax will hardly discourage it

Slava Ukrainii

Scenario 1: REITs do what they do now. They advertise apartment for 4k a month. No one rents because too expensive. REITs are losing 36k cash per year. Property price remains high.

Scenario 2: REITs drop price to 3k per month and rents it. They make 36k per year. Property price drops as linked to yield.

So let's pretend there's a vacant tax of 10k per year (absolutely won't be, it'll be like 500 euro max). REITs can either go for scenario 1, where they lose 36k per year or they go for scenario 2, where they lose 10k per year. Not only is scenario 2 cheaper, but the apartment isn't being used, not tenants not paying rent, no management fees or waste fees etc.

In short, a company not taking in 36k per year because they want 48k per year is essentially spending 36k per year to keep it empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

BTW anecdotally I also am seeing some of the same things as DataDude mentioned above; looking in the €750k-€950k range in South Dublin. Houses that would have seen bidding wars earlier this year (including our own in a lower price band somewhat accessible to FTBs), now with lower bids and some with zero bids at all after months on the market. Lots of Sale Agreeds falling through, the underbidders pulling out, and as mentioned you'd therefore need to be very, very suspicious of the validity of the bidding at all and reconsider your own bids as a result.

We were previously sale agreed on both sides, and in mid-summer the people at the top of the chain pulled out to go back to the market, looking for more; we lost our own purchasers at that point, fair enough, as we couldn't say now when we'd be able to vacate. Two months later, the house we had hoped to buy is still on the market, recently refreshed on MyHome. Hope karma is a bitch in this case! But I think the same is happening all over; prices have plateaued and are now sinking perhaps, slowly.

The last really crazy bidding war I am aware of occurred over a month ago, nice semi D in Dublin 14 that had a totally realistic asking at the very bottom of our range, and over two days was bid up to the top! I still tell my wife that if I were that seller, I'd be totally sure that it would fall through; I refuse to believe that anyone will pay the price bid for the property, and all the underbidders will disappear likewise.

I know we'd happily sell for less than the highest bid we accepted on our home in March, if our next purchase was subsequently a bit lower than the Spring/Summer prices achieved for that type of house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

As a follow on to the two links posted yesterday with sites ready to go with planning permission for sale, here is another, this time in Donabate. A trend perhaps? I'd be curious as to the specific reasons for selling as I'd only be able to hazard guesses; building cost inflation; likelihood of the government punishing site owners who have planning permission but don't use it; peak of the market; dramatic increase in supply likely over the coming years when these projects would finally be completed?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/ready-to-go-site-in-donabate-with-planning-for-155-apartments-for-8-5m-1.4675920

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

in one way im glad to hear this (i.e. that there are some brakes on) but at the other side of it its incredibly frustrating for people to miss out on houses because of one bidder bidding on multiples properties (as datadude alluded to)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I specifically said it was the last part of his post which makes no sense. This is what he said "Even if the tax was 25k a year, they'd still be better off just paying the tax as a tenancy will mean management fees, will mean tax on income, will mean wear and tear."

He argued that even a 25k a year tax was pointless as they would be better off than if they were renting the place out and paying tax. That makes no sense. Renting a place for X amount and losing some of that rental income to tax and fees will still make you more money than leaving it empty and paying 25k a year in tax on 0 rental income.

My post was about the last part of your post which said they would be better off not renting the place even if the vacancy tax was 25k a year.

Yes.

If they're currently losing 36k now, having to pay 25k a year is not a deterrent.

In this scenario, they are currently losing 36k but it isn't affecting their cashflow much. In the scenario where vacancy tax is 25k a year they are now losing 61k a year and have their costs increase by 25k a year. If a 25k vacancy tax won't act as a deterrent then why don't we make it 100k a year or a million a year. They'll just pay it and the state will make a load of money.

If REITs cared about cash flow they'd rent out for 36k a year rather than leave it sitting.

There is a difference between near 0 cashflow and -25k cashflow. The former is easily accommodated. If a 25k vacancy tax doesn't matter to them. What would? Would 100k matter? Would 1 million matter?

REITS as any other business, they care about profits, they care about cash flow, they care about lost revenue. They would care even about vacancy tax, but there is no reason to worry much about it, because simply they won't have large numbers of apartments sitting long term empty. Their main business is to rent them out. It's a myth that they not interested in renting them out.

Yes, Covid lockdowns and Rental Caps together, has brought a real challenge for landlords in city center. But it's mostly over. Those empty Rental blocks won't be sitting vacant for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Its a myth they are not interested in renting them out. Is it myth that majority of reit own apartment blocks, especially luxury ones are empty? I would suggest you to go for a walk around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The thing about vacancy tax is it would (should) be leveraged annually, so REITs would be much more likely to rent out at lower price and take the hit in property value, than pay annual vacancy taxes, which after a few years would equal the amount in equity they stand to lose, were they to lower the rent.

How long they can hold out depends on the numbers, but I would think that such a tax would push some of them to either sell up and realise whatever gains they can now, or lower rents. Not a magic bullet, but it would definitely put the right kind of pressure on REITs and investors to not leave properties vacant.

Advertisement