Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

62 today to currently sit as clubhouse leader.

Will have to break out the dodgy box to watch tomorrow night if sky are still showing the ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

I find it incredible Sky can't show it on another channel like 408. It reminds me of trying to watch the British Open years ago on BBC and BBC NI would butt in to show a GAA match - I thought those days with modern TV were long behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

What other channel is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

1 ahead now onto the last 6 holes.

Edit: be some waiting around now cos they've made it to the tee and Hatton has wandered back to them from group in front

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Rory is playing really beautifully, missed birdie at 17 there but awesome play to here from Mcilroy

• Advertisement

Missed another one on 17 now. Just the par 5 left to finish the deal

Driving and 3-woods have been beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

Safely sets up two putts for the win.

Glad for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭blackcard

Brilliant Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭kyleman

Magnificent Rory.

20 wins on tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Amazing what can happen when there's no pressure with the cut 🤣

Fair play to him, not his biggest fan but it's great to see.

It'd be nice to see him just getting back to playing his own game.

Brilliant from Rory, he's back, he's reverted to his natural swing & game, so now when his putting and approach shots hold up, he's simply awesome.

This weekend, he's been awesome.

20 wins, only extraordinary players achieve this. Well done Rory!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well done Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I think Cantlay is the only player with more wins than him in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Didn't see any of it but a great win from McIlroy against a super tough field. Apparently his putting was excellent.

Just shows while he's not the player of old he's still capable of mixing it with the big boys and coming out on top!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rory up to eighth in the updated world golf rankings this morning.

He was top 3 in strokes gained for everything except approaches. His driving and 3 woods were at thing of beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Has he dropped Cowen?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Becomes the 15th player in history to join the elite 4/20 club on the PGA Tour (4 majors, 20 wins)

His tee shot on I think 13, just shy of 350 yards with a 3 wood. And the trajectory was outrageous, more like a stinger with some fade.

Great win, after his eagle on 14 he just plotted his way carefully, unlucky not to have 1 or 2 more birdies in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Think that's him basically set with life membership for PGA Tour now also. Needs 20 wins, plus 15 seasons on Tour

He's heading into his 14th season now, and the win means he's guaranteed his card for 15th season, so barring something catastrophic stopping him playing in 2023 yesterday means he will earn the life exemption.

20 wins for Rory now means he joins this legendary list of players since 1960 who earned their 20th PGA Tour win before age 33:

Arnold Palmer

Billy Casper

Jack Nicklaus

Tom Watson

Tiger Woods

Phil Mickelson

Highlights of the win in link below:

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/2021-cj-cup-at-summit-grades-rory-mcilroy-wins-for-historic-20th-time-on-pga-tour/

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Brilliant performance, very professional the way he played the last few holes, kept out of trouble, knew what he had to do and executed it brilliantly. Thought his interview at the end was very interesting where he said he just needs to concentrate on playing his own natural game and if he does that he should be fine. Every aspect of his game, but especially his driver/woods/putting, was on fire yesterday when the pressure was on. Hopefully he can now build on that and move back up towards that number one spot. Also delighted to see Fowler play so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Does anyone know if strokes gained approach factors in how far out you were? So given he drove so well and had say 130 yards into a given hole when the average was 160, did those from 160 actually hit it closer? Or is it that mcilroy was maybe similarly close but because he had an easier approach he didn’t gain as many strokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 themink

What aspect of his game did he revert versus the last number of months? Didn't see any of it so just curious. I know he seemed to be trying to work on a fade drive at some point. Has he abandoned that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭blue note

It factors it in. I heard the guy who came up with it talk about it and it was incredibly impressive. I can't imagine it works as well as he described, but basically it looks at where you are after your tee shot and from huge amounts of data stored, based on where you are (fairway, 1st cut, etc) and how far out you and maybe a couple of other things works out how many shots it takes the average PGA player to get down in from there. So say on a par 4, the average score is 3.9. From where you are after your drive it takes the average player 2.7 shots to finish the hole, therefore you've gained .2 shots from your tee shot.

When you take your next shot say you leave it 8 feet away. From 8 feet the average pro will take 1.6 shots to finish. Therefore you've gained .1 on approach. And then say you 2 putt, well then you've lost .4 shots.

So from that hole, you'd gain .2 shots from driving, .1 from approach play and you'd lose .4 from putting.

What I found really interesting when he talked about it was that he didn't give any weighting to whether a putt was uphill or downhill and that based on their research it made very little difference. What made a difference was length of putt and after that it was all fairly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I think its more like they can only base it on the stats available, like they have the position/distance of each shot, but no way to get details on slope etc

Similarly they can't say one shot was behind a stone or in a footprint in a bunker etc or plugged. But these might average out across lots of shots, but are only going to be so accurate in determining if one shot was good or not

That's most apparent in putting, it could turn a 50% put into a 5% putt

He specifically dealt with slope on putting and said that they had looked at huge amounts of putts and just found that distance from hole was by far the most important factor. And that whether a putt was uphill or downhill made very little difference.

I find it surprising. It's not my experience. But it was his finding from examining the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Have you a link to that?

Are you sure you took that up correctly?

I think its more that across a season proximity is the key factor because it all evens out, no one can consistently leave themselves with easy putts or be above or below the hole

on an individual putt it makes a massive difference and on one day it could explain why someone had great stats on putts gained v the field

again I don't think the data is there either.

• Advertisement

It was likely the no laying up podcast. Or possibly mark crossfield or Rick Sheils. I'm happy I remember it right. It stuck out because it went against what I would have thought and they had a discussion on it.

Advertisement