Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

212 VW Golf

• 11-05-2021 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey,

I'm looking at purchasing a VW Golf 212, Style trim. My only concern is what engine to go for between the 1.5 tsi 130 and the 2.0 tdi 115. My average mileage a year is 30000km, mostly dual carriageways and motorways. Normally, I would just go for the petrol, especially as Diesel seems to be out of favour, but I'm afraid of the previously reported issues with the 1.5 and kangarooing at low revs and cold temperatures. . Apparently this has been sorted, but on some forums, people are still reporting issues. I feel that the diesel would be safer in this regard as there don't seem to be issues about it

Note: To those who say "just test drive them and find out", I have driven the 1.5tsi in an Octavia, and it felt very good, I just worry about spending around 30 grand on the car, and then have to deal with engine issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Diesel for that mileage.

The kagarooing issue is somethong blown way out of proportion over the internet and seems to be down to driver style as much as an issue with the car but shouldn't be a mk8 issue anyway.

All that said, i'd still go diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Being an Introvery

Cheers Man, thanks. I guess with the mileage, diesel would be the most sensible alright, I can't see them increasing taxes too much on them yet, not when too many potential voters own and drive them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭User1998

Diesel will still be popular for many years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think you'd be crazy to buy a brand new diesel. They're going to depreciate like stink in the next few years. At least buy one thats 1 or 2 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

fits wrote: »
    I think you'd be crazy to buy a brand new diesel. They're going to depreciate like stink in the next few years. At least buy one thats 1 or 2 years old.

That drum has been banged for the last 5 years. 40% of Golf sales are diesel, 66% of Focus are diesel.

It’s a Golf. if it had dog**** coming out the exhaust pipe, people would still pay over the odds for them second hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Skoda Octavia is better looking than the Golf in my opinion both inside and outside as well as far more practical and if you want a better car than the Golf from the same group then the Seat Leon is well worth a look. All reviews I have seen have said the Leon is a better car the the Golf. It is certainly better to look at.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AMKC wrote: »
    The Skoda Octavia is better looking than the Golf in my opinion both inside and outside as well as far more practical and if you want a better car than the Golf from the same group then the Seat Leon is well worth a look. All reviews I have seen have said the Leon is a better car the the Golf. It is certainly better to look at.

As far back as they’re out, the Leon always depreciated heavier than the Octavia or Golf.

Ms

colm_mcm wrote: »
    As far back as they’re out, the Leon always depreciated heavier than the Octavia or Golf.

Maybe but I doubt there is much in it now and even if there was you are getting better spec for less money in the Seat.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

When are you looking to buy OP?

Stock is tight on Golf models at the moment, and there's only a handful of 2.0Tdi 115hp models in the country at the moment, and half of them are fully loaded with options. Factory order time is 13 weeks at the moment, but I'd say that's going to get worse as the year progresses.

Better availability on the 1.5Tsi 130hp, but still not exactly awash though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Petrol all day long for me, much smoother and refined than a diesel and just as fuel efficient if that concerns you.
    Also make sure you get the automatic (DSG) model whichever you go for, life is far too short to be changing gears...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The 1.5TSI is a nice engine but in the real world it won't hold a candle towards the 2.0TDI in terms of fuel efficiency. You'd definitely notice it over 30k kms p/a.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭PaulRyan97

If you can charge at home/work you might want to consider the Style eHybrid. Very efficient, low tax, plenty of power and a very smooth drive.

Ms

Also the Leon is more spacious than the Golf and has the better dash and interior now too. I suspect while VW were busy watching Dkoda making sure there products were not better than there own that they took there eye of Seat as Seat always had the lowest quality interiors but not anymore they have the best of the three now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

AMKC wrote: »
    Also the Leon is more spacious than the Golf and has the better dash and interior now too. I suspect while VW were busy watching Dkoda making sure there products were not better than there own that they took there eye of Seat as Seat always had the lowest quality interiors but not anymore they have the best of the three now.

You use so much energy beating the old vw drum,do you not think of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

R.O.R wrote: »
    When are you looking to buy OP?

Stock is tight on Golf models at the moment, and there's only a handful of 2.0Tdi 115hp models in the country at the moment, and half of them are fully loaded with options. Factory order time is 13 weeks at the moment, but I'd say that's going to get worse as the year progresses.

Better availability on the 1.5Tsi 130hp, but still not exactly awash though.

I think that's optimistic. Factory order lead times are nuts at the moment due to the component shortages.

Advertisement