Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ballymurphy massacre

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Barry904

downcow wrote: »
    How would you take it if I said hahaha about victims of the British army.?

I am happy to give you examples but I could predict I will be the one that is sanctioned for taking it off thread.
    Open a thread on the ira torture and I’ll gladly filll it for you

You're on the wind up I'm not going to converse with you any further while you try to put me on the defensive, everyone can see the last few posts and see how you have made yourself look an absolute fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Barry904 wrote: »
    You're on the wind up I'm not going to converse with you any further while you try to put me on the defensive, everyone can see the last few posts and see how you have made yourself look an absolute fool.

Says the guy who has never heard that the ira tortured many of their victims (and the (Uvf)

Says the guy who has never heard that the ira tortured many of their victims (and the (Uvf)

So you have taken back your claim that the IRA tortured "hundreds" of protestants before they killed them?

I just googled IRA torture, not much articles about IRA torture apart from a few informers and a British soldier.... All of which were catholics not protestants.

I'm glad we are making progress downcow and we are clearing up many of your misconceptions about the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Shocking that the families of the victims had to wait this long to have their names cleared.

40 years to wait

I hope it it some comfort closure justice and relief for the victims (RIP) families

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Every thread, no matter how inappropriate, you can always count on good ol' Downcow to land in with a, 'but whatabout the IRA', accompanied by some anecdotes that are totally irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Have a bit of decorum for Christ sake, the IRA are completely irrelevant to the innocent victims of the Ballymurphy Massacre and their families' long wait for vindication, though justice isn't likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Every thread, no matter how inappropriate, you can always count on good ol' Downcow to land in with a, 'but whatabout the IRA', accompanied by some anecdotes that are totally irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Have a bit of decorum for Christ sake, the IRA are completely irrelevant to the innocent victims of the Ballymurphy Massacre and their families' long wait for vindication, though justice isn't likely.

This. It's disgusting to see posters (well, one, TBF) still trying to conflate the Bally murphy victims with the IRA. They were completely innocent victims, and the men who murdered them knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭political analyst

It was the policy of internment that led to the horror that took place in Ballymurphy in August 1971.

Which government was calling the shots on that policy - Whitehall or Stormont?

Given that Stormont was a devolved government, Whitehall could have refused to do what Brian Faulkner wanted, couldn't it?

It was the policy of internment that led to the horror that took place in Ballymurphy in August 1971.

Which government was calling the shots on that policy - Whitehall or Stormont?

Given that Stormont was a devolved government, Whitehall could have refused to do what Brian Faulkner wanted, couldn't it?

They had to run it by Westminster and get approval for any major action like that

volchitsa wrote: »
    This. It's disgusting to see posters (well, one, TBF) still trying to conflate the Bally murphy victims with the IRA. They were completely innocent victims, and the men who murdered them knew that.

I hadn’t seen any posts conflating the BM victims with the IRA. Could you post an example. I thought everyone on here was agreed they were innocent.

So you have taken back your claim that the IRA tortured "hundreds" of protestants before they killed them?

I just googled IRA torture, not much articles about IRA torture apart from a few informers and a British soldier.... All of which were catholics not protestants.

I'm glad we are making progress downcow and we are clearing up many of your misconceptions about the IRA.

I don’t know if you are on a wind up or not. I could give you examples of cases where I unfortunately know too many details of what the IRA done to their Protestant (and catholic) victims before they killed them, but this really is not the thread to do it and it would be inappropriate to name the victims out of respect to their families.

You seem to be living in some alternative universe where the ira were honourable and treated their prisoners with respect. Are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I hadn’t seen any posts conflating the BM victims with the IRA. Could you post an example. I thought everyone on here was agreed they were innocent.

ah here

is this a sport for you?

I don’t know if you are on a wind up or not. I could give you examples of cases where I unfortunately know too many details of what the IRA done to their Protestant (and catholic) victims before they killed them, but this really is not the thread to do it and it would be inappropriate to name the victims out of respect to their families.

You seem to be living in some alternative universe where the ira were honourable and treated their prisoners with respect. Are you for real?

You say you don't want to get into this on this thread but you're the one who brought it up!

You only don't want to get into it because I asked for evidence of your claims of "hundreds of protestants tortured by the IRA before they were murdered" you can't provide any evidence because it was a blatant lie and now your last resort is some crap about the moral highground.

It's weird for me if it is your own country that you send armies to kill people

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

LorenzoB wrote: »
    It's weird for me if it is your own country that you send armies to kill people

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

'Ballymurphy situation' is how our Taoiseach is describing this according to accounts on Twitter. Is he ashamed or afraid to use the word 'massacre'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭celt262

Fann Linn wrote: »
    'Ballymurphy situation' is how our Taoiseach is describing this according to accounts on Twitter. Is he ashamed or afraid to use the word 'massacre'.

He used to be "Brits out" until he went on a trip to Belfast God knows he wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Did he actually say that?

That's absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Did he actually say that?

That's absolutely disgraceful.

Heard it myself him giving his speech 'We actually had a good discussion on the Ballymurphy situation..

The video is on Twitter.

Heard it myself him giving his speech 'We actually had a good discussion on the Ballymurphy situation..

The video is on Twitter.

Yup. Just saw it.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1393270597057236992?s=19

So, not only does he call it that twice, why the hell is the Taoiseach telling us about Boris Johnson's understanding of the situation... shouldn't we have Boris telling us?

Another proxy explanation from Mícheal, much like the proxy apology from the FM/dFM on Tuesday.

Yup. Just saw it.

So, not only does he call it that twice, why the hell is the Taoiseach telling us about Boris Johnson's understanding of the situation... shouldn't we have Boris telling us?

Another proxy explanation from Mícheal, much like the proxy apology from the FM/dFM on Tuesday.

MI5/MI6 had thoroughly infiltrated Irish politics during the troubles they probably still have strong influence, not like they were all on MI5 payroll or anything like that (although maybe some of them were) more sort of like pulling their strings without them even realising it.

• Advertisement

MI5/MI6 had thoroughly infiltrated Irish politics during the troubles they probably still have strong influence, not like they were all on MI5 payroll or anything like that (although maybe some of them were) more sort of like pulling their strings without them even realising it.

Not since Lynch have we seen snivelling to this degree.

I'm furious looking at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Yup. Just saw it.

That is just atrocious. Clearly Boris gave him nothing to work with and he is lying on his behalf and trying to make something up off the cuff but his poor communication skills can't hide it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yup. Just saw it.

I don't think any other leader of any country in the world would refer to the mass murder of its citizens as a situation. This is insane. And I wonder will Regina Doherty of Fine Gael apologize for saying that Nationalist victims of the troubles brought it on themselves?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Lougho

smurgen wrote: »
    I don't think any other leader of any country in the world would refer to the mass murder of its citizens as a situation. This is insane. And I wonder will Regina Doherty of Fine Gael apologize for saying that Nationalist victims of the troubles brought it on themselves?

Are you really surprised that a leader of a party who stood idle when Bombay street burned. And those within his party that wanted to help their country men and women defend themselves were castigated.

I rarely use the term west Brits but they are one and all. John teggart and the rest of the families fighting for their loved ones will continue to press ahead even with the lack of understanding across the board.

Par for the course for Martin. Wouldn't have expected any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

smurgen wrote: »

Link for the Regina comment?

Link for the Regina comment?

https://youtu.be/zkTXMnA0uIA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Lougho wrote: »

OMG that's shocking. "You started a war in this country" - WTF? I wonder woudl she like to revisit those comments in the light of the Bloody Sunday and Ballymurphy findings?

volchitsa wrote: »
    OMG that's shocking. "You started a war in this country" - WTF? I wonder woudl she like to revisit those comments in the light of the Bloody Sunday and Ballymurphy findings?

She is a nasty piece of work.

• Advertisement

Lougho wrote: »

She's some troll coming out with that.

Sadly there's a large audience for that type of crap though.

Advertisement