Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai conspire to ignore thousands of reported crimes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is such a twist of reality it beggers belief.

Would you like the reality?

You call 999 because your son won't do his homework. The calltaker logs ALL calls. No matter how stupid, you want Gardai, you get Gardai. What's the category? Dvsa or domestic violence.

Gardai arrive, kids doing his homework and parent tells ya too go **** off. Gardai inform dispatcher. The call is then transfered to pulse and the investigating garda must now spend time at a computer updating this 'investigation' which must include a callback to the property. Multiple attempts to obtain a statement of complaint and CCTV. In other words, an absolute waste of Garda time.

So what would happen would be that the Garda at the house would inform the dispatcher that the call is absolutely bull**** and it would be changed to an 'info' call which didn't transfer to pulse.

You need to remember, the system only has so many categories and the calltaker selects one they think appropriate based on the caller.

There's no 'I'm a ****ing moron that needs the Gardai to solve minor problems in my life' category.

Same with 'assault' calls but when you arrive it's a 15 year old brother on 14 year old brother push over the TV remote.

Or a variety of calls made by drunk people, lunatics, the genuinely mad and piss takers including alien sightings and lizard people reports

A truly great post..

All I wanted to say, but wouldn’t have put it so succinct as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

Um excuse me? Who’s going to check the car drivers for tax and insurance if gardai are too busy responding to calls and writing reports…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Wilmol wrote: »
    Um excuse me? Who’s going to check the car drivers for tax and insurance if gardai are too busy responding to calls and writing reports…

Do you not think checking cars have insurance is worthwhile? Otherwise every clown in ireland would go without

Besides the nothingburger calls Niner Leprechaun described, was there serious cases ignored?

Did guards ignore soon-to-be victims of violence? Even one incidence is a scandal that should result in firings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

This is such a twist of reality it beggers belief.

Would you like the reality?

You call 999 because your son won't do his homework. The calltaker logs ALL calls. No matter how stupid, you want Gardai, you get Gardai. What's the category? Dvsa or domestic violence.

Gardai arrive, kids doing his homework and parent tells ya too go **** off. Gardai inform dispatcher. The call is then transfered to pulse and the investigating garda must now spend time at a computer updating this 'investigation' which must include a callback to the property. Multiple attempts to obtain a statement of complaint and CCTV. In other words, an absolute waste of Garda time.

So what would happen would be that the Garda at the house would inform the dispatcher that the call is absolutely bull**** and it would be changed to an 'info' call which didn't transfer to pulse.

You need to remember, the system only has so many categories and the calltaker selects one they think appropriate based on the caller.

There's no 'I'm a ****ing moron that needs the Gardai to solve minor problems in my life' category.

Same with 'assault' calls but when you arrive it's a 15 year old brother on 14 year old brother push over the TV remote.

Or a variety of calls made by drunk people, lunatics, the genuinely mad and piss takers including alien sightings and lizard people reports

Its a sad state of affairs that the Gardai Siochana has come to be in this sorry state. It has been beyond me for a long time why people still compete, despite the low wages and difficult conditions, to be part of this organisation. I genuinely would like to know why, maybe someone can enlighten me. The older garda that I would have known, point at the Charlie Haughie era as when the rot set in in the force.

• Advertisement

ineedeuro wrote: »
    Do you not think checking cars have insurance is worthwhile? Otherwise every clown in ireland would go without

As they should. You’re supporting their practices because they can charge what they want which is unfair. I wonder how many would have insurance if it wasn’t mandatory. Obviously to you checking tax and insurance is more important than saving people from scumbags foot on top of them or knife attacks. Let me guess you’re 40+?

As they should. You’re supporting their practices because they can charge what they want which is unfair. I wonder how many would have insurance if it wasn’t mandatory. Obviously to you checking tax and insurance is more important than saving people from scumbags foot on top of them or knife attacks. Let me guess you’re 40+?

What? None of that made sense

Its a sad state of affairs that the Gardai Siochana has come to be in this sorry state. It has been beyond me for a long time why people still compete, despite the low wages and difficult conditions, to be part of this organisation. I genuinely would like to know why, maybe someone can enlighten me. The older garda that I would have known, point at the Charlie Haughie era as when the rot set in in the force.

Years and years and years of government underfunding.

The biggest change is the public in general stopped supporting the Gardai, they would prefer to go against them than help them.
    Look at today, a sc*mb*g will be doing something, Garda comes in and it’s the video of him online and then he gets the basking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The Gardai have always been a little club the protected its own, they have lost respect from the public due to their own actions, you don't even have to look to the likes of the corruption in Donegal, phone recordings, the Alan Shatter scandal , the Credit Union, or even the Maurice McCabe scandal.

You have the likes of the GRA, pissing and moaning about the likes of mandatory drug testing which i would have thought for a professional they would have or crap like this.

Respect is a two way street and when both rank and file and senior members take this seriously they will be given it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Edz87 wrote: »
    Besides the nothingburger calls Niner Leprechaun described, was there serious cases ignored?

Did guards ignore soon-to-be victims of violence? Even one incidence is a scandal that should result in firings.

What Niner Leprechaun described was instances of 999 calls that are/were legitimately cancelled for good reasons and logged as such. Out of 3,000 calls they found just over 1,000 that were cancelled for legitmate reasons and there is no problems with this.

What this investigation is about isnt what Niner Leprachaun described, its about genuine 999 calls not being responded to, many of which involved domestic violence. The investigation is ongoing but so far they have uncovered 600 calls out of a total of 3,000 999 calls that should have been responded to. That is 20% or one in five of the 3,000 999 calls they examined not receiving proper Garda attention, for which the Garda Commissioner has yesterday apologised for-
    The Garda Commissioner has publicly apologised to domestic violence victims who made emergency calls for help but did not receive the standard of service from gardaí that they required and to which they were entitled.

Drew Harris was addressing the Policing Authority after a garda inquiry into how 999 calls were dealt with found that more than 600 emergency calls in 2019 and 2020 were cancelled before there was an appropriate policing response.

What is being investigated has nothing to do with what Niner Leprachaun outlined in post #2, it is far more serious than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

screamer wrote: »
    Time for the gardai to get in some lean and six sigma experts to sort out the paperwork issues. A few disciplinary actions will no doubt be needed too, but the root cause has to be fixed.

Don't forget to action those KPI's for the stakeholders :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Northernlily

pah wrote: »
    Don't forget to action those KPI's for the stakeholders :rolleyes:

I don't know why your being so condascending to the suggestion. After all its your tax money being spent on an inefficient organisation.

They have Administration/HR/Legal/Compliance like everyone else. To have rank gardai doing Admin work is a waste of resources.

Some peoples attitude really boggles me.

I don't know why your being so condascending to the suggestion. After all its your tax money being spent on an inefficient organisation.

They have Administration/HR/Legal/Compliance like everyone else. To have rank gardai doing Admin work is a waste of resources.

More than likely a serving member or related to a member/ex member. Its similar wagon circling ****e you see in the US. They are seemingly above reproach because of the job that they do.

THe problem with the Gardai is they are massively underfunded. If they actually got the funds they need people would be crying because of the tax bill.

You can't underfund an organisation for year and years and then complain when they struggle to meet the demands required of them.

Something has to give.

I think the problem the guards are facing is that even though they are underfunded there is a culture of keeping things in house until the bubble up. That is not helping rank and file members and only builds a stick for their own back from a public perception perspective.

You see stuff like the below and it just adds up to the view of them not being a professional force and easy to believe that the serving members are responsible for the likes of dropped calls rather than underfunding and unrealistic targets.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/gardas-anti-corruption-unit-flies-in-face-of-principle-that-force-shouldnt-investigate-itself-without-scrutiny-says-policing-watchdog-40580499.html

Strange reference to age there.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I think the problem the guards are facing is that even though they are underfunded there is a culture of keeping things in house until the bubble up. That is not helping rank and file members and only builds a stick for their own back from a public perception perspective.

You see stuff like the below and it just adds up to the view of them not being a professional force and easy to believe that the serving members are responsible for the likes of dropped calls rather than underfunding and unrealistic targets.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/gardas-anti-corruption-unit-flies-in-face-of-principle-that-force-shouldnt-investigate-itself-without-scrutiny-says-policing-watchdog-40580499.html

Who doesn't think the Gardai are underfunded? anyone I talk to are 100% aware they are underfunded.

The Gardai are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They create a unit to investigate which release reports which condemn some of the actions. Yet if they didn't release these reports they would be told by everyone they are hiding everything.

People who want to find fault will find fault, of course the Gardai are not crystal clean either, but as I said not sure what people want when year on year they are underfunded, don't have enough members and very little support from the public.

fvp4 wrote: »
    Strange reference to age there.

I was more interested in what this meant "saving people from scumbags foot on top"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

EddieN75 wrote: »
    The article author claims to have proof of "over 1000 priority one calls which includes domestic violence, assault and burglaries"

"Senior Gardai believe it may be necessary to initiate disciplinary proceedings against a large number of front line officers who requested cancellation of the calls"

"Security sources believe the issue has the potential to become a significant problem for Drew Harris"

Either Harris goes or he sacks whoever responsible, no need for any other disciplinary action....

Who doesn't think the Gardai are underfunded? anyone I talk to are 100% aware they are underfunded.

The Gardai are damned if they do and damned if they don't. They create a unit to investigate which release reports which condemn some of the actions. Yet if they didn't release these reports they would be told by everyone they are hiding everything.

People who want to find fault will find fault, of course the Gardai are not crystal clean either, but as I said not sure what people want when year on year they are underfunded, don't have enough members and very little support from the public.

No no you see you misunderstand when a policing authority setup to stop corruption on the force calls you out you have a problem.

If they want support and the country to be a little bit more sympathetic they would want to get their house in order. They can be underfunded and still an honest force but you loose sympathy very fast when you see some of the headlibes come out and the general apathy from the force.

You would think at times in this country that they only are interested in policing when it's a person of money that's impacted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I haven't been following this very closely - would it be a fair summary to say this debacle is the predictable result of chronic under resourcing plus management failures leading to a malaise and drop in morale in the force which leads to corner cutting and ignoring of duties by some individual Gardai as a survival strategy to get through the day.

if so, it is an issue in other parts of the public service too. .

Domestic violence is a "trendy" issue which is probably a factor in the media interest in this. Hard to believe that these practices in the force are limited to domestic violence investigations only.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hierro

General public expect more transparency and accountability which requires investment in people and systems, neither cheap and not envisaged anytime soon. This mobility service is being flown but in reality that service will contribute nothing to policing on the road. Any call of substance costs time, more time than anyone outside the service can imagine.

Lean sigma, the work isn't a factory line but its processes needs examination and refinement and streamlining.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

When you are using CAD which is based on MSDOS which in itself retired 20 years ago and looks like the below, yet ignore as an organisation repeated attempts to tell you to update it, then your going to have issues.

Let alone the question of why it is we are using an MSDOS system that is retired 20 years to take 999 calls.

On the flip side of this that no one has mentioned is that theoretically you could have calls that have been answered by dispatch that no one has any idea of either.

editor.gif

I was more interested in what this meant "saving people from scumbags foot on top"

Dublin city center is filled with scumbags attacking people and literally walking around with knives in their hands but the gards are too busy checking tax from 1 street over so people end up in hospitals with injuries or end up dying. Which is easier? You literally cannot deny that because these are facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

Dublin city center is filled with scumbags attacking people and literally walking around with knives in their hands but the gards are too busy checking tax from 1 street over so people end up in hospitals with injuries or end up dying. Which is easier? You literally cannot deny that because these are facts.

Do you have access to these 'facts'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

John Mooney reports on this story on the front page of todays Sunday Times
    As it stands the investigation is looking at a total of 22,595 cancelled 999 calls made to Gardai throughout 2019-2020
    So far they have looked at 3,125 calls which were 999s 'Priority 1' relating to victims of domestic abuse. Of those 3,125 cancelled calls they have now identified that more than 600 of them were cancelled for an illegitimate reason and that Gardai did not give the 999 call an adequate response
    The Gardai are now moving to examining the remaining 19,475 cancelled 999 calls and these relate to house burglaries, assaults and other offences

From the first sampe of 3,125 cancelled 999 calls we now know that 20% of them were cancelled for illegitimate reasons. If the same trend follows for the remaining calls then we are looking at somewhere in the order of 4,500 people who rang 999 in an emergency and did not receive an adequate response. This is serious stuff because it is highly likely that they are gong to uncover people who were the victims of violent assaults and burglaries in motion not getting an adequate response

Front-page-June-27.jpg

No they are not facts. Do you understand what the word "fact" means?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I remember hearing a few 999 calls, garda would ask the usually traveler woman whose husband was smashing up the place if she'd press charges, cops show up she doesn't. She rings again and the garda will they sent someone already and hangup

No they are not facts. Do you understand what the word "fact" means?

Yeah perfectly. Just because you said so doesn't make it true.

• Advertisement

Article In the mail that it looked like there was an attempt to cover up the 999 numbers, report currently with Humphries on it.

Advertisement