Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 post lift questions

Options
  • 04-05-2021 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Thinking of installing one for DIY use.
    Anyone have one? Are the arms adjustable in length or fixed? One I'm looking at (Taranto) has fixed arms but now I'm wondering will adjustable be more versatile. Another Taranto model has one adjustable arm each side. Anyone using the redmount? Interested to hear any views. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

nophd08 wrote: »
    Thinking of installing one for DIY use.
    Anyone have one? Are the arms adjustable in length or fixed? One I'm looking at (Taranto) has fixed arms but now I'm wondering will adjustable be more versatile. Another Taranto model has one adjustable arm each side. Anyone using the redmount? Interested to hear any views. Thanks
    Have redmount here, they are ok, 3 length adjustable arms. Main bug bears are the toothed locks for the arms are not fine enough so rarely lock automatically and they don't come with threaded pad adapters as standard, beyond that they are fine just make sure you have enough concrete. Also the arms even though 3 way adjustable are not short enough to fit cars like a z4 due to weird jacking point locations.
    If you can afford a higher quality 2 poster (3-7k) I'd say go for the dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I have a Phoenix lift, the arms side out to whichever lenght you need, they lock automatically and the pads are threaded. No issues so far. I know a fella that services lifts, I just get him to check it over once in a while it's been trouble free since I bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I have a Phoenix lift, the arms side out to whichever lenght you need, they lock automatically and the pads are threaded. No issues so far. I know a fella that services lifts, I just get him to check it over once in a while it's been trouble free since I bought it

Phoenix lifts are a redmount with lower quality pump assembly so should have the same issues with locking arms/arms too long. They aren't huge issues though, rare its a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

A Redmount will be fine for someone using it for DIY, no need for a 4k lift. As said already just make sure you've plenty of concrete under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

I've had a Redmount for a number of years ( DIY use) and I find it OK - though sometimes find it difficult to get the pads under suitable points on some cars.
    I find that it's important to get the car central between the posts - I sometimes measure the space on each side to ensure the car is central. This gives you the best chance of getting the pads under suitable points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

dooroy wrote: »
    I've had a Redmount for a number of years ( DIY use) and I find it OK - though sometimes find it difficult to get the pads under suitable points on some cars.
    I find that it's important to get the car central between the posts - I sometimes measure the space on each side to ensure the car is central. This gives you the best chance of getting the pads under suitable points.
    Good points. Do you find both arms have enough telescopic adjustment

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

All arms have adequate adjustment - haven't failed to get a car securely set up yet . But it can take a while sometimes .
    Have seen some 2 posters with unequal length arms but not sure how much of an advantage this would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I have the Howden Taranto 4t lift about 2 years now I’ve had everything from a Yaris up to a big lwb transit full of tools and restored quarter panels on an old 84 transporter camper and my lwb land cruiser regularly is up on it.
    It’s a very solid lift for the money and has given me no hassle once it was all setup correctly.my only gripe is like some have already said on other make lifts is the engagement teeth on the arms could do with being finer to to get them locked in the sweet spots underneath but I’ve always managed to get them locked with a bit of adjusting.
    The one thing I did with my 2 post and the same thing could apply to other makes is I welded an extension onto the base plates of each post to give me another 6 20mm anchors on each side to spread the footprint of the base and give it total stability it hasn’t budged since I fitted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

would you not consider a scissor lift, i have one and find them great, bit more expencive but very handy to work with and so easy to set up. plus they can be moved around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

My garage isn't very big. I recently got a mid-rise scissor lift and am very pleased with it. I wouldn't have enough height for a full lift.

When not in use I park the car over it and it takes up no space except for the pump. The fact that I can move it is a bonus.

I considered a 2 post lift but it would have made it awkward to walk past the car to the end of the garage. I was also a bit worried about the anchorage/stability.

My use is strictly DIY. Commercial considerations would be different.

• Advertisement
Advertisement