Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I chance a Mk6 TSi Golf?

• 29-04-2021 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some of the collective Boards Motors wisdom here.

Am I taking a chance buying this?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-1-4l-tsi-comfortline-132bhp/27949545?campaign=3

Car looks great and in good nick and the timing chain has been done but am I taking a huge risk on the chain going again? The driving reviews of the 1.4 TSi are that it's a great engine but the timing chain issues have me worried.

Am I right or over reacting or do I just accept it's an 11 year old car and I'm taking a chance with any car this age?

Views and comments gratefully accepted

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭User1998

If the chain has been done and its had regular oil changes I’d probably go for it. The 138bhp engine in that is a lot more reliable than the twin charged model

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think that's a 122bhp engine.

I wouldn't be too worried about the chain going again in the near future and sure even if it does, if you get it early they aren't the worst to replace.

I'd say that car has had a bit of a tap at the front at some point, there should be a frame between the reg plate and the bumper which is missing off that car and a spacer behind to stop the front bumper sagging in like that. I'm 98% sure a Comfortline should have front fogs and a leather steering wheel too, both of which are missing from that car, all indicative of a repair IMO.

I'd be inclined to go from maybe had a repair to definitely had one.

If you go to the close up image of the aftermarket stereo, you can see the passenger side of the dash has the brushed aluminium trim and the drivers side of the dash and door cards have the correct carbon fibre effect trim.

The wrong steering wheel and the wrong trim on the dash panel would be telling me it's had it's airbags out before and that's a replacement dash panel from a lower spec Trendline car, probably the same donor that gave it the lower spec front bumper and steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭setanta1000

I'd be inclined to go from maybe had a repair to definitely had one.

If you go to the close up image of the aftermarket stereo, you can see the passenger side of the dash has the brushed aluminium trim and the drivers side of the dash and door cards have the correct carbon fibre effect trim.

The wrong steering wheel and the wrong trim on the dash panel would be telling me it's had it's airbags out before and that's a replacement dash panel from a lower spec Trendline car, probably the same donor that gave it the lower spec front bumper and steering wheel.

Wow! That is an excellent spot and not something I would have picked up on.

This is 100% one of the benefits of the internet and Boards! Very much appreciated. :D:D

Update: Looking at the original spec on the Mk6 I actually think this might be ok.

It was only the Highline spec that got the front fogs and multi function steering wheel but still trying to see if the dash insert was chrome or "Black Pyramide"

Original 2010 spec from this doc on this thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057172234

Comfortline definitely has the black trim, I own one. It shouldn't have a multifunction steering wheel, it just should have a leather wrapped wheel which that one doesn't.

All that said, the front bumper has 100% been off it and the passenger side dash panel has been replaced and there's only one reason for that, really unless the existing one had a dog chewing on it or something.

If we're going according to the spec sheet in that link, it has the wrong alloy wheels fitted too. Those are 16's, Comfortline should have had 15's.

Look, the car may be worth looking at if you aren't too picky but if you want one as straight as a die, I would say that one has a colourful past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭User1998

Its an Irish car too so I don’t think previous accident damage would even show on a history check? Or am I wrong there

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Sparkey84

User1998 wrote: »
    Its an Irish car too so I don’t think previous accident damage would even show on a history check? Or am I wrong there

it probably would not show. the guys are right about the repairs. that would not put me off completely but i would need to know when repairs were done, if it was 5 yrs ago and car working fine, passing nct's since that is very different than just repaired to now to sell immediately.

in regards to timing chain i am always nervous of buying a car with "work just done" i just hold the opinion most people will not invest money into a car they are about to sell. i would rather a car with timing belt needing done, let the price reflect that and get the work done yourself. better piece of mind.

also if any cars that you would look at have a non interference engine that can give great piece of mind also, esp when buying at that age

Comfortline definitely has the black trim, I own one. It shouldn't have a multifunction steering wheel, it just should have a leather wrapped wheel which that one doesn't.

All that said, the front bumper has 100% been off it and the passenger side dash panel has been replaced and there's only one reason for that, really unless the existing one had a dog chewing on it or something.

If we're going according to the spec sheet in that link, it has the wrong alloy wheels fitted too. Those are 16's, Comfortline should have had 15's.

Look, the car may be worth looking at if you aren't too picky but if you want one as straight as a die, I would say that one has a colourful past.

Thanks for all the advice and pointers; it's really appreciated and the different trim was a great spot - its a balance between cost and quality and I need to be realistic at this price level but at the same time don't want to buy something that is potentially dangerous.

Yeah well this is it and i agree with you to an extent. What is it priced like relative to others?

Go and look at it and if it checks out ok mechanically, point out the list of flaws we've went through, try to get it to a more realistic asking price and maybe it'll work out ok for you.

That being said, i'm usually not one for scaremongering or the likes but Golfs are so common I couldn't see any reason to buy on that's had the airbag system repaired after an accident with used components specially if you are willing to settle for less than perfect bodywork, you should have broad options.

So I thought I'd update and share my thanks - I went to see the car and in the end decided against it - seller was genuine but didn't know anything about the dashboard / airbags, also there was body work damage on drivers side wheel arc and on the front bumper that would have needed to be done immediately at around 500-700 euro so at that price on top of the uncertainty around there being a previous bang I decided to give it a pass.

Subsequently got a better deal on a 2011 VW Golf with less mileage and straighter panels so huge thanks to Toyotafanboi for the solid steer.

Thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 housemurf99

Is it a done deal?
    I've a 2010 1.2tsi that I've owned from new that needs a bit of tlc. Bought new car 3 months ago so not making any of it. Standard trendline with sports interior and upgraded audio package.

Is it a done deal?
    I've a 2010 1.2tsi that I've owned from new that needs a bit of tlc. Bought new car 3 months ago so not making any of it. Standard trendline with sports interior and upgraded audio package.

Arghh!!! Where were you five days ago :D:D It's a done deal unfortunately but you should have no problems selling as the market is good if the price is right.

Is yours up on Done Deal yet, what are you hoping to get for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 housemurf99

No problem. I am just getting ready to post up. It's been put off for a long time. Around €4500. Has been regularly serviced and cared for. 130k km, few scratches but other than in very nice condition

No problem. I am just getting ready to post up. It's been put off for a long time. Around €4500. Has been regularly serviced and cared for. 130k km, few scratches but other than in very nice condition

Based on my limited experience of the last 3/4 weeks looking at cars I'd say you're spot on there with that price - maybe even a bit low - depends on how quick you want to sell - 130k is low enough mileage for that year and most buyers will accept there will be a few dings and dents on an 11 year old car. Everyone will see €4,500 and assume you'll let it go for €3,900 CASH and an iPhone 7. (As an aside I used Revolut to pay a deposit to secure the car and then did an EFT to the sellers bank account when I bought mine).

Best of luck!!

Advertisement