Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

F1 2021 Round 3 : Portuguese Grand Prix

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I really wonder what planet BBCs Andrew Benson lives on when he writes this tripe.

This was a crap race, but also shows how our standards have been raised compared to previous years, given we had on-track passes from Max on both Mercs, from Hamilton on both Max and Bottas, and loads of racing right down the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭klose

Red bull looked so pacy in Bahrain and Imola hopeuflly yesterday was a blip rather than merc getting their status quo back, max had many laps with DRS open and couldnt land a glove on Hamilton.
    Perez again with a commendable drive, there's no way albon goes 50+ laps on medium tyres and that's why perez got the seat. It was quite an achievement as you could see how badly Sainz and vettel struggled on their second stint on the mediums, Sainz was a sitting duck for the last third of the race.
    Think alpine will pretty happy too, looks like there's life an old dog in alonso yesterday gaining 5 places to 8th, ocon only slipping one spot too.
    Mclaren can be pleased also, Danny ric going from 16th to 9th is good going, norris gaining 2 spots to 5th, he's really looking to the best of the rest outside the two Mercs and max, you'd love to see him snag 3rd in the drivers.
    Aston, yikes, going nowhere fast, seb staying on mediums had him at nothing.
    Alpha, yuki is two races in a row getting warned for track limits, he had a great start in bahrain but these last two races haven't gone well for him
    Williams, really bad, Russell went backwards fast and latifi getting overtaken by mick Schumacher.
    Haas, bit of a joke of a team really and the bulk of that is on mazepin. They'd want to be cooking up some monster of a car for next season to be punting this season so badly.

Hopeuflly with testing not have taken place in Barcelona this year and teams not having a ton of data might make next week somewhat interesting? A fools hope maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

This was a crap race, but also shows how our standards have been raised compared to previous years, given we had on-track passes from Max on both Mercs, from Hamilton on both Max and Bottas, and loads of racing right down the field.

Yeah it was nice to watch racing at the front for a change, rather than watching a battle for 7th while Hamilton frigs off into the sunset after after lap 1 turn 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I really wonder what planet BBCs Andrew Benson lives on when he writes this tripe.

Benson has lived on Planet Hamilton for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Stinker of a race really, nice track to drive on your own I am sure, awful for racing on. Wouldn't miss it at all.

Spain will probably be more of the same. I do not want to lose faith in this season so early. Having said that, this track was total garbage for grip, which RB seem to have been expecting. Spain is usually dire but I would like an RB win to keep the season interesting, far too many years now that seasons are over before long.

At least we only have a week to wait as well.
    Ah it is not a bad track. There was a great race at it last year.
    I agree about hoping Red Bull win in Spain. Hopefully Max can win there to keep the seaso interesting and not let Hamilton run away with it again. I so want to see this season go down to the wire to at least the second last or last race.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

klose wrote: »
    Hopefully with testing not have taken place in Barcelona this year and teams not having a ton of data might make next week somewhat interesting? A fools hope maybe.

With the amount of data they have on Barca they will be able to extrapolate it easily to these cars, I expect Merc or Red Bull could already tell us the results if they wanted to!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Given the choice of watching Borecelona or playing Resident Evil 8, I'll take RE8 over Borecelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Benson has lived on Planet Hamilton for years.

He doesn't even try to hide it anymore. I really need to not read BBC...in general.

Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Given the choice of watching Borecelona or playing Resident Evil 8, I'll take RE8 over Borecelona.

Lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Was away for the weekend and told a few people not to tell me anything about the race. Wish they had so I didn't waste 2 hours when I got home. :pac:

Merc is still the fastest car despite "We're the hunted" nonsense before the race. :rolleyes:

Bottas tbh I can't be bothered saying anything more about him. It's clear what he is at this stage.

• Advertisement

Buttonftw wrote: »
    Merc is still the fastest car despite "We're the hunted" nonsense before the race. :rolleyes:

I am not sure about this, Max should have been on Pole, whether he would have kept the lead we'll never know, but his getting passed by Hamilton was down to 2 mistakes he made in short order allowing the DRS pass.

It is clear the Red Bull had more issues running in dirty air than the Merc did.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Santan

Inquitus wrote: »
    I am not sure about this, Max should have been on Pole, whether he would have kept the lead we'll never know, but his getting passed by Hamilton was down to 2 mistakes he made in short order allowing the DRS pass.

It is clear the Red Bull had more issues running in dirty air than the Merc did.

I think even brundle said it, the pace difference between the red bull and Mercedes on the straight was so evident, even with drs max could not even close up on bottas, let alone pass, whereas Hamilton just done the smart thing and took advantage of the mistake, but it was coming from him. If bottas was a little better he would have done what his team mate did and just pull out a good lead and drive it home, no need to set the world on fire

Inquitus wrote: »

Looked to me like Merc had the race pace in hand aside from warming tyres. Well, their one competent driver at least.

As I've said before the talk about the Merc being poor in traffic has been overblown. Their competent driver has had no issues for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

Did Bottas really do that badly , Yeah got over Taken by Lewis .

He got Caught with cold tyres by Max so he was Dispatched easily there and Lewis was given that warning when he came after Bottas that the tyres would take a lap . Bottas did recover and started to close on Max . I think it was down to just over a Second and he then Had 2 issue he could do nothing about . Heat sensor slowed the car , and also Yuki returning to the track cost him time( that was bottas Right ). There is not much he could do about either of those incidents . He is not as good as Lewis but I do think he will Cause RedBull problems .
    He can should always be in the mix for Poll and that always leaves 2 Mercedes to deal with. So Far it could go either way for Perez and Lando likes to make himself an annoyance

Lando has been the stand out Driver in so far as improvement goes for me this season, he really is very close to extracting the absolute maximum from the McLaren, and has finished best of the rest or better in each start this season. Big respect to the young fella, seems very likeable too, he plays with some of the F1 Twitch and Youtube streamers a fair bit when he has time, comes across as great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,669 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Before the race much was made of how many overtakes happened on last year's GP.

Then I'm sure they mentioned they shortened the main DRS zone and made another short one elsewhere on the track.

Anyone know how it fared for overtakes this year? I think it might have been more exciting had the main DRS zone still been the same. I'm going on memory now though so could be making too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Joeface wrote: »
    Did Bottas really do that badly , Yeah got over Taken by Lewis .

He got Caught with cold tyres by Max so he was Dispatched easily there and Lewis was given that warning when he came after Bottas that the tyres would take a lap . Bottas did recover and started to close on Max . I think it was down to just over a Second and he then Had 2 issue he could do nothing about . Heat sensor slowed the car , and also Yuki returning to the track cost him time( that was bottas Right ). There is not much he could do about either of those incidents . He is not as good as Lewis but I do think he will Cause RedBull problems .
    He can should always be in the mix for Poll and that always leaves 2 Mercedes to deal with. So Far it could go either way for Perez and Lando likes to make himself an annoyance

No He didn't do that badly. He was overtaken by Lewis and Max. They are regarded as the best drivers. Bottas isn't a top driver but he's not half as bad as people make out. His form from the second half of 2020 to now hasn't been as good as this time last year. But he put in a respectable drive and was only beaten by the two fastest drivers on the grid. People make out that he's a poor driver and that just isn't true. His strongest aspect is his qualifying and he is right there with Lewis in quali most of the time.

Sergio Perez got driver of the day through some very strange logic. He was decidedly average all race. RB left him out for over 40 laps, purely to hold up Hamilton. His tyres were shot and he was 2 seconds a lap slower than Hamilton by the time they met on track and Hamilton breezed past him like. Then he failed to get the soft tyres to switch on and failed to get fastest lap. Between the strategy and inability to work the soft tyres, he was nowhere near driver of the day. But he's a likeable guy and Bottas is a bit wooden so people say Bottas is shyte and Perez is good. Perez get the bare minimum result this weekend. Fourth in the second best car, beaten by the Mercedes and his faster teammate. Bottas did similar being beaten by his faster teammate and the faster driver in Max.

Perez is the answer to the question: who is a grand, average driver who is also desperate enough to stay in the sport to accept a contract that makes him Max's obvious no.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You could say exactly the same thing about Bottas, he's average and Lewis' obvious no 2. I don't think there's much to choose between them. Bottas definitely seems worse than he is because he is in Lewis' shadow all the time. If he does get the boot from Mercedes I don't think the other top teams will be tripping over themselves to snap him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,862 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

MadYaker wrote: »
    You could say exactly the same thing about Bottas, he's average and Lewis' obvious no 2. I don't think there's much to choose between them. Bottas definitely seems worse than he is because he is in Lewis' shadow all the time. If he does get the boot from Mercedes I don't think the other top teams will be tripping over themselves to snap him up.

You couldn't say the same thing about Bottas yesterday. Bottas was in the fight for the front where Perez was so far back that he was used as a blocker for Hamilton. Bottas was the fastest driver on track for periods of the race - Perez wasn't even close to being the fastest - even on fresh soft tyres going for fastest lap, he failed and Bottas nailed it. Bottas also qualified on pole where Perez didn't. But somehow Perez was voted driver of the day.

Perez didn't have anything close to a good race. And i think the fact that people like Perez (because he's a likeable guy) distorts the way people rate them as drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

MadYaker wrote: »

not so sure about that his testing and dev experience would be worth something to a 2nd div team

• Advertisement
    Ms

not so sure about that his testing and dev experience would be worth something to a 2nd div team

Lol 2nd div team. Someone has been watching too much soccer.
    No such thing in F1. Maybe you mean a midfield team like Alfa Romeo or Alpine.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Advertisement