Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ex paratroopers deny murder of Joe McCann

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Joe McCann
    Born: November 2, 1947, Belfast, United Kingdom
    Died: April 15, 1972, Belfast, United Kingdom

Ex-paratroopers deny 1972 murder of Official IRA member Joe McCann. Soldiers A and C, who will remain anonymous throughout the case, are accused of shooting 24-year-old in the back in Belfast during The Troubles in Northern Ireland (UK).

The court heard today that according to the prosecution, Mr McCann was suspected of involvement in many murders and could have committed more if he had evaded arrest.

The lawyer said soldiers faced a "binary choice" of either firing to effect the arrest or Mr McCann getting away (to commit more crimes)?

The trial continues.

Could they not have arrested him?

Sounds like he was no Saint.

not that he deserved to be shot.

Killed 15 British soldiers in the UK.

Member of a terrorist paramilitary organisation, waging a war.

Looks to me like he got just what he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Joe McCann
    Born: November 2, 1947, Belfast, Ireland. United Kingdom
    Died: April 15, 1972, Belfast, Ireland United Kingdom

There, fixed it for you. :)

JayZeus wrote: »

Not sure about that, nasty character for sure but you don't just shoot him like a dog!

Catch him and put him through the courts and let them decide his fate, killing him solves nothing.

dd973, I got that entry from Wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Whatever you say charlie flanagan

• Advertisement

Normal One wrote: »
    Whatever you say charlie flanagan

Leave the politics to one side and you’ll see he got the same ‘justice’ he was handing down on others.

Guy shoots and kills others. Guy gets shot and killed. Fair enough so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Leave the politics to one side and you’ll see he got the same ‘justice’ he was handing down on others.

Guy shoots and kills others. Guy gets shot and killed. Fair enough so.

That's fine so once we agree the British Army are terrorists also.

Not sure about that, nasty character for sure but you don't just shoot him like a dog!

Catch him and put him through the courts and let them decide his fate, killing him solves nothing.

Soldiers shooting terrorists solves lots of problems. Terrorists need to be put in graves, not prisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Soldiers shooting terrorists solves lots of problems. Terrorists need to be put in graves, not prisons.

I agree, no mercy for para terrorist scum in Ireland.

smurgen wrote: »
    That's fine so once we agree the British Army are terrorists also.

The British Army, under attack by terrorist paramilitaries in the United Kingdom? No. They’re not collectively terrorists. Some were rotten scum but wearing the same uniform doesn’t mean the majority were.

On the other hand, IRA gunmen and bombers were all scumbag terrorists during ‘the troubles’. Every single one of them. Murderous filth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Trex.

Marco23d wrote: »
    His most famous act came on 9 August 1971 when his unit took over the Inglis bakery in the Markets area and fortified it

Supposedly that's where Old Mr. Brennan got his idea to fortify the bread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Boards seems to be flooded with loyalist extremist rhetoric nowadays.

smurgen wrote: »
    Boards seems to be flooded with loyalist extremist rhetoric nowadays.

It's an entirely reasonable perspective to have that every nasty, grotty, and sinister paramilitary organisation in NI brought nothing only misery, murder, and hardship to the place. Every closed coffin, maiming, and kneecapping was avoidable. What a petty and sectarian conflict it was.

I get it's over. It's the eulogising about terrorists that most of us find tiresome.

I very much doubt there are any loyalists posting here. Maybe the odd unionist pops in from time-to-time. The unionist perspective worth listening to tbh, and something everyone needs to embrace and genuinely understand. Celebrating the atrocities of an overtly sectarian mass-murderer is not a way of 'recognising our shared legacy'.

Hume was right. He was always right.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

The British Army, under attack by terrorist paramilitaries in the United Kingdom? No. They’re not collectively terrorists. Some were rotten scum but wearing the same uniform doesn’t mean the majority were.

On the other hand, IRA gunmen and bombers were all scumbag terrorists during ‘the troubles’. Every single one of them. Murderous filth.

So putting on a uniform legitimises the murder of Catholic civilians and the terrorising of catholic neighbourhood's, che guevara and Nelson Mandela are terrorists, Micheal collins another Republican scum bag going by your simple logic, you'd lie down and let foreigners rape, pillage and plunder because they've a uniform, the self hatred some Irish people display is something I find truly remarkable at times, no problem with endorsing the queens army and how dare the peasants stand up to the proud British with their nice uniforms

dd973 wrote: »
    There, fixed it for you. :)

Thanks, but there's little point in fixing it for me, as it's Wikipedia that thinks Belfast is in the United Kingdom.

Gotta love this stuff.

Shoots at a soldier that's walking down the road and not engaging in any way, he's a hero.

Soldier shoots him as he runs away, it's murder.

Plants bombs on the civilian family cars of police and soldiers, fair game because they are police and soldiers.

Gets killed while not on 'active service' and it's murder because they weren't active at the time.

The ira, killed hundreds of 'civilians', soldiers, police in northern ireland. Sold drugs and robbed banks in the Republic while Killing any Gardai that got in their way. Unarmed Gardai.

So which is it guys?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Marco23d

Gotta love this stuff.

Shoots at a soldier that's walking down the road and not engaging in any way, he's a hero.

Soldier shoots him as he runs away, it's murder.

Plants bombs on the civilian family cars of police and soldiers, fair game because they are police and soldiers.

Gets killed while not on 'active service' and it's murder because they weren't active at the time.

The ira, killed hundreds of 'civilians', soldiers, police in northern ireland. Sold drugs and robbed banks in the Republic while Killing any Gardai that got in their way. Unarmed Gardai.

So which is it guys?

Sold drugs? First I'm hearing of this, the British or loyalists have never claimed the IRA were involved in drug dealing what evidence do you have to suggest otherwise?

Funny you say about bank robberies in the republic I was only reading about this the other day, In 1973, two self-proclaimed British spies, Keith and Kenneth Littlejohn, were convicted and jailed for a £67,000 armed robbery at a Dublin bank - it was at that time the biggest robbery to date in Irish history.

During their trial the brothers said they were working for the British Government against the IRA. They said they had been told to stage the robbery to discredit the republican organisation and force the Irish Government to introduce tougher measures against its members.

Sold drugs? First I'm hearing of this, the British or loyalists have never claimed the IRA were involved in drug dealing what evidence do you have to suggest otherwise?

Funny you say about bank robberies in the republic I was only reading about this the other day, In 1973, two self-proclaimed British spies, Keith and Kenneth Littlejohn, were convicted and jailed for a £67,000 armed robbery at a Dublin bank - it was at that time the biggest robbery to date in Irish history.

During their trial the brothers said they were working for the British Government against the IRA. They said they had been told to stage the robbery to discredit the republican organisation and force the Irish Government to introduce tougher measures against its members.

Not my fault you bury your head if this is the first you are hearing about the ira and drugs. Perhaps educate yourself more before defending them?

From 2001: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/dec/09/northernireland.colombia

Working directly with the narcos. Look forward to your wriggling on this.

Here's a list of Gardai killed by your patriots.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/a-dozen-other-gardai-killed-in-last-26-years-1.56529

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Loads of posters saying he deserved it, he was part of conflict etc...

So when a Brit Army person was killed they would also shrug shoulders and say “ah well, he’s fair game”?

Not my fault you bury your head if this is the first you are hearing about the ira and drugs. Perhaps educate yourself more before defending them?

From 2001: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/dec/09/northernireland.colombia

Working directly with the narcos. Look forward to your wriggling on this.

Here's a list of Gardai killed by your patriots.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/a-dozen-other-gardai-killed-in-last-26-years-1.56529

Funny you post an article from 2001 where all the information had not been released or discovered yet.

The Colombia Three are three individuals – Niall Connolly, James Monaghan and Martin McCauley – who are currently living in the Republic of Ireland, having fled from Colombia, where they were sentenced to prison terms of seventeen years for training FARC rebels.

They were training left wing FARC rebels it was nothing to do with drugs at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/colombia-grants-amnesty-to-alleged-ira-bomb-making-trio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The greatest terrorism inflicted, not just in Ireland but world wide, was inflicted by those in uniforms and more often than not in British military uniforms.

Funny you post an article from 2001 where all the information had not been released or discovered yet.

The Colombia Three are three individuals – Niall Connolly, James Monaghan and Martin McCauley – who are currently living in the Republic of Ireland, having fled from Colombia, where they were sentenced to prison terms of seventeen years for training FARC rebels.

They were training left wing FARC rebels it was nothing to do with drugs at all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/colombia-grants-amnesty-to-alleged-ira-bomb-making-trio

Wahahahaha

You will be trying to sell me a bridge next.

Nothing about the Gardai and banks while you are treating people like idiots?

Wahahahaha

You will be trying to sell me a bridge next.

Ok... So you deny the official verdict that the IRA were training FARC rebels and you believe this is a conspiracy and they travelled there to buy some cocaine?

Did I ever deny a small number of Gardai were killed during the 30 year conflict?

It's like arguing with an empty tub of toothpaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Looking at some of these posts I wonder what year is it?

Loads of posters saying he deserved it, he was part of conflict etc...

So when a Brit Army person was killed they would also shrug shoulders and say “ah well, he’s fair game”?

The greatest colonial tactic of all is to make the oppressed believe it is wrong to fight back or against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Yea, defending an innocent British occupying force
    murdering Irish Catholics is so 1980s

Well it's not the year that British soldiers could force entry into your house, wreck the place, belittle the occupants, smash anything valueable , and stroll off laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Aegir wrote: »
    He murdered people and ended up getting targeted himself.

Sorry for his friends and family, but live by the sword......

Absolutely. You take on some of the most well trained,well armed and efficient soldiers on the planet with your guns and expect them to stand there and take it? Not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I hate indulging in whatabouttery but no one tell the lads about Jonathon Dowdall. Couldn’t possibly be having a former councillor arrested for murder now could we.

• Advertisement

I hate indulging in whatabouttery but ...

So why are you doing it?

Advertisement