Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis - Error Over Grid Frequency

Options
  • 26-04-2021 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Keep getting the following error
    Current Status OV-G-V01 (Error Over Grid Frequency)
    and my Solis hybrid inverter shuts down for 5 mins or so then ramps back up

Checking Google, it been mentioned that the Grid code/standard may not set properly

Wondering if anyone knows what It should be set to
    My installer is coming back to finish it off but want to see if I can double check also

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

olearydc wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Keep getting the following error
    Current Status OV-G-V01 (Error Over Grid Frequency)
    and my Solis hybrid inverter shuts down for 5 mins or so then ramps back up

Checking Google, it been mentioned that the Grid code/standard may not set properly

Wondering if anyone knows what It should be set to
    My installer is coming back to finish it off but want to see if I can double check also

Cheers

More likely it's the grid frequency that is going too high, and not much that can be done about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Sounds like you're a victim of this problem too - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058171468

Do you live in a rural area or urban? How close is the transformer that supplies your house? Any other houses on it?

You can contact the ESB and see if they will come out and do anything about it for you, but it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

mp3guy wrote: »
    Sounds like you're a victim of this problem too - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058171468

Do you live in a rural area or urban? How close is the transformer that supplies your house? Any other houses on it?

You can contact the ESB and see if they will come out and do anything about it for you, but it's unlikely.

Hi, thanks

I am in Cork city - On the main road and not near any transformer that I know of. its a strange one and my installer is checking further

Hi, thanks

I am in Cork city - On the main road and not near any transformer that I know of. its a strange one and my installer is checking further

Any neighbours with solar PV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I was getting an error like this. It was happening when we connected the RF link to the inverter. It wouldn’t happen when a WiFi link was connected.

Haven’t managed to work out why it’s happening yet. For the moment don’t have any links connected.

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks

Oh I read wrong, grid frequency not voltage.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Oh I read wrong, grid frequency not voltage.

You were right - I was getting both alarms actually.

Just in case anyone else has this down the line
    I was getting both alarms quite a lot - and the Solis system would drop for 15 mins or so then revert back up

I installed Solis App (you need a dongle on the inverter) so I could see activity on my phone, alerts, alarms, etc. but you can still look at the inverter itself if no app, just easier for me as it was in the attic.

Every time system shut down, I would check my power sockets with a voltmeter, to see voltage and it would show a high of approx 261 - -normally 250+. The inverter would show exactly the same in the alerts so pretty accurate

I called up the ESB and mentioned that the voltage was high. the response was pretty fast as they take high voltage over 253 as a high priority.

They came out within 3 hours, checked the voltage coming into the house, and were showing 257. So they went away and checked the transformer - -all good there and they let me know could be just a bad connection from house to the transformer as they have seen it before.

That night, a few cheery pickers were seen and folks checking connections. since then, I have had no issues and system has been running 100%

Just wanted to share in case other people have same issue

You were right - I was getting both alarms actually.

Just in case anyone else has this down the line
    I was getting both alarms quite a lot - and the Solis system would drop for 15 mins or so then revert back up

I installed Solis App (you need a dongle on the inverter) so I could see activity on my phone, alerts, alarms, etc. but you can still look at the inverter itself if no app, just easier for me as it was in the attic.

Every time system shut down, I would check my power sockets with a voltmeter, to see voltage and it would show a high of approx 261 - -normally 250+. The inverter would show exactly the same in the alerts so pretty accurate

I called up the ESB and mentioned that the voltage was high. the response was pretty fast as they take high voltage over 253 as a high priority.

They came out within 3 hours, checked the voltage coming into the house, and were showing 257. So they went away and checked the transformer - -all good there and they let me know could be just a bad connection from house to the transformer as they have seen it before.

That night, a few cheery pickers were seen and folks checking connections. since then, I have had no issues and system has been running 100%

Just wanted to share in case other people have same issue

Wow! Glad you got it sorted so quickly, 257 is wildly high!

260! Yeah that's a tad high, no wonder the inverter shut off.

Glad you got it sorted,

What's the normal voltage now, when your not generating solar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Was checking the voltage on my mains cable and it doesn't seem to spike past 240ish and all good with the inverter so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

What should the Solis Inverter Standard be set to?

Mine is G99 but no idea if that is correct?

graememk wrote: »
    260! Yeah that's a tad high, no wonder the inverter shut off.

Glad you got it sorted,

What's the normal voltage now, when your not generating solar?

Its now showing approx 233
    Have seen it go to 240 but pretty stable now

ESB said that anything over 253 is a no no - -which I was getting all the time before they fixed it

reni10 wrote: »
    What should the Solis Inverter Standard be set to?

Mine is G99 but no idea if that is correct?

I think mine is set to EN50438IE or something like it - -will confirm tomorrow from the inverter (wife in bed, she will get a heart attack if I go in the attic now!!

Also - -found this

https://www.tvri.co.uk/downloads/ziehl/protection%20relays%20-%20ziehl/Howto-meet-EN50438-IE-with-noncertfied-solarPV-products-in-Ireland(1).pdf
    https://static.solartricity.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Solartricity-electrician-training.pdf
    page 55

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrtnmrgns

An old thread but the same problem still persists. Worked fine Jan when installed then from 29th March alarms every day both over voltage and over frequency. Inverter set to UK standard. UK Power Networks have attended and fitting a monitor to the supply. They claim this is a common problem with Solis. I will update with the outcome and any solutions applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

I have the same issue, it only shows over frequency at startup in the morning . While under warranty solis put on thee irish standard. But the settings were set to the irish values on the non irish en standard. So it made no difference. I don't believe the grid is going over freq. B

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrtnmrgns

The grid have not yet given me their result but they seem absolutely convinced that it will not be them. My installer is ignoring it until I get the grids response meanwhile I am getting multiple error messages every day regarding both over voltage and over frequency. It’s not only a pain but it goes off line every time and so is not generating.

I did have an inverter, that did read 20 odd volts too high, tested with a multimeter. Solis support made a change and a higher "compensation" to be set.

Had to use tape as I ran out of hands to take the photo 😂

Advertisement