Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Films that are hard to watch..

• 25-04-2021 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

After watching the film Perfume, I did not feel sympathy or vindicated by the ending. I don't think any of the characters are likeable in that film. It's more a statement about humanity and one that can make you feel uncomfortable.

Similarly...Watership Down! It's just such an honest portrayal of survival. Its like I can't say I like the film because it's hard to watch but I'm glad I watched it and appreciate it but don't ever want to watch it again!!!

I just don't feel right after films like this. Im trying to describe the feeling I get from certain films but I cant think of the right word. It's not a good feeling but I don't regret having watched the film either. What is it?

What other films are like this?..so I can avoid them or maybe not avoid them :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’d find Perfume hard to watch too, now that I know the main character dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Breaking The Waves is like that, I think. Unrelentingly bleak on multiple levels. I still find it hard to watch Emily Watson in anything. :(

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ok no..huh...

endacl wrote: »
    I’d find Perfume hard to watc.

The film is 2006 ffs.

Anyway edited. Go delete your post now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Inland Empire is a film that I was not able to finish. Completely boring and no idea what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

If Beale Street Could Talk. Widely praised by critics and Regina King won a Supporting Oscar. My O/H fell asleep during it, it was so slow and laboured, pacing was like frozen molasses.

• Advertisement

Inland Empire is a film that I was not able to finish. Completely boring and no idea what was going on.

I wasn't asking about boring films.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

22 July

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Larry Bee

'Leaving Las Vegas' is another tough movie to watch - about the relationship between a suicidal alcoholic and a prostitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I take it you mean a movie that you watched completely and think was good. Otherwise I will have many movies I stop halfway because I could not bother to watch it until the end, so bad they were.

If it is this, then there is only one that gave me a very hard emotional uppercut: Dancer in the Dark.

It is a small masterpiece but I never want to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I wasn't asking about boring films.
    I would say Inland Empire is an acceptable answer but not for the reasons given by the previous poster.

I have not seen it since the cinema, have no intention of ever watching it again but I still remember being left reeling after watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Nor so much an entire film, but the scene in Downfall where Magda Goebbels kills her kids

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I would say Inland Empire is an acceptable answer but not for the reasons given by the previous poster.

I have not seen it since the cinema, have no intention of ever watching it again but I still remember being left reeling after watching it.

I'm not talking about being confused or reeling from the film itself or story of the film. It is more the awareness of the story of the film.

I can't describe the emotion these kind of films envoke in me. It's like an uncomfortable acceptance of something you already knew but had it highlighted in such a way that made you think about it more. It's not a pleasant feeling but you feel more aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Larry Bee wrote: »
    'Leaving Las Vegas' is another tough movie to watch - about the relationship between a suicidal alcoholic and a prostitute.

That's one of my favourite movies. Nicholas Cage outdid himself in that.

Deadman's Shoes is a tough watch. It highlights abuse towards disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'll add Birth of a Nation here because of the abhorrent storyline but it's an exceptional piece of cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Grave of the Fireflies leaves you depressed just asking why

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

12 years a slave is tough going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Hardest film I ever had to watch was The Passion of Christ. I would never watch one minute of that ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm not talking about being confused or reeling from the film itself or story of the film. It is more the awareness of the story of the film.

I can't describe the emotion these kind of films envoke in me. It's like an uncomfortable acceptance of something you already knew but had it highlighted in such a way that made you think about it more. It's not a pleasant feeling but you feel more aware.
    Fair enough, you are not talking about films that are merely difficult to watch and therefore not ideal for repeat viewing, it's more films that hit a nerve based on the their subject matter.

I think most movies that address grief fall into this category for me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Nil By Mouth' would fall into this. It's a very tough depiction of poverty, violence and addiction and there's far too much in it of the sort of events that I know must happen but that I'm otherwise, thankfully, oblivious to until I see it portrayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Those POW scenes in The Deer Hunter stand out as difficult to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Heavenly Creatures is one for me, think it may have been kate winslets breakthrough role. That scene involving the mother and the two kids, dont think I'd want to ever watch that again tbh.

Deadman's Shoes is a tough watch. It highlights abuse towards disabilities.

Great film.. Another Paddy Considine film Journeyman is a tough watch tho.. Ya kinda know things aint gonna improve.. Depressing one that, but ya knows retribution is a coming in Dead Man's Shoes - so it's enjoyable in that way..

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Salo
    Irreversible
    Come and See
    Nocturnal Animals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Manchester by the Sea.

Amazing film but the emotions are so raw in it I couldnt watch it again.

I'm actually nearly crying here just thinking about it.

Glen Garry Glen Ross, does'nt have much change of scenery not helping

The Sun : The Japanese Emporer and the WW 2 Japanese Surrender : no artillary or child soldiers feature

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Requiem for a Dream - the ending is really harrowing to watch, the music puts you on edge then the imagery....it's intense

ztoical wrote: »
    Requiem for a Dream - the ending is really harrowing to watch, the music puts you on edge then the imagery....it's intense

Another one of my favourites, I must like being disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

I often enjoy dark, weird movies but I felt deeply uncomfortable after watching I'm Thinking of Ending Things. Just couldn't get the thing out of my head for a few days after watching it.

• Advertisement

Unthinkable was pretty fcked up. I saw it in the cinema so couldn't avoid some scenes.

Advertisement