Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An "Irish NHS" - what needs to change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭karlitob

lazygal wrote: »
    You sound exactly like one doctor in Holles St I requested not be allowed to treat me based on how he spoke to me.

Did you get a prescription for hugs?

You sound like someone who doesn’t respond to the point but attacks the person cos you don’t like the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

karlitob wrote: »
    That’s not what I said.

To be honest, I'm finding it hard to distill exactly what it is you are trying to say, so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You sound like someone who doesn’t respond to the point but attacks the person cos you don’t like the questions.

No one is attacking you.
    You seem to have an oddly harsh way of posting. Maybe that's just your writing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I had the master of the hospital as my consultant. She did all my c sections. A midwife would have been no good to me.

Obviously the midwife isnt going to be able to do the csection but they would have been able to do a lot of the same things that the master did up to that point and after it. You obviously went private, if you'd gone public then a registrar would more than likely have done as good a job on it.

The midwives were the ones who were looking after you after the operation as well, not the consultant bar 1 or 2 quick chats!! Believe me, I've worked with midwives and nurses and, as a doctor, I really know the benefit of them.

You're spitting so much venom about choice in maternity care its hard to keep track of what you said.

Take your time. Reread it. Let me know if you’ve any queries.

• Advertisement

Women get to decide what's best for themselves. We don't live under the eighth amendment any more.

Haha. Waiting for it. Just waiting for it. Nothing got to do with anything at all on this thread. Instead of engaging in the discussion you accuse me of ...something. Slinging some mud.

What are point are you trying to make?

Nice. Are you this condescending to all your patients?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,364 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I think that ED (I assume this is A&E) is all public system, at least as far as anything serious is concerned, so not much in the way of "queue-jumping", here. The queue-jumping argument is much more relevant for elective procedures, and where consultant referrals are concerned.
    The VHI Swiftcare clinics and similar from other private providers are privatised ED, for the simpler, more basic ED cases at least. They'll take a lot of the cuts and broken limbs and sprains and strains.

Antares35 wrote: »
    At your booking appointment you will see a consultant and they assess if you are high risk and if so, that will preclude you from opting for midwife led care. So in that sense you are right, you cannot choose to go midwife led just because you want to, if you are high risk.

Yes - as I said.
    Antares35 wrote: »
    However this does not mean that you HAVE to be high risk to go consultant led, if you are paying privately. My understanding that private patients can opt for consultant led, notwithstanding that their pregnancy might be low risk and they would qualify for MWL if they wished.

I know that. That wasn’t what I said. You do not have to be private to go consultant led either.

High Risk cannot be midwifery led
    Low risk can be midwifery led or consultant led or public or private.

The point of the the other posters comment as she is - without any nuance - that a patient (no matter what the clinical speciality is) can demand that a healthcare professional perform a treatment on the sole basis of their choice.

The other poster is not a healthcare professional. I am. A patient cannot make me or a nurse or a doctor perform a treatment, prescribe a drug or conduct an assessment just because they want to - because they have ‘choice’. It must be clinically indicated, based on the assessment by the HCP along with the information provided by the patient - the options are provided and the patient makes an informed decision - ie consent.

Banal comments about ‘choice’ don’t change that.

If you think being not being assigned a consultant at booking and being able to ‘choose’ a private consultant is some sort of ‘choice’. Then so be it.

Clearly the public consultant you didn’t ‘choose’ is the same private consultant you ‘choose’ in private rooms. So a choice I suppose. Where it’s meaningful to you, well that’s gonna cost you €5k to find out.

Nice. Are you this condescending to all your patients?

Just the pains in the hoop.

Only kidding. I smile to their faces and pretend your ‘choice’ matters. Just like your private consultant did.

• Advertisement

Just the pains in the hoop.

Only kidding. I smile to their faces and pretend your ‘choice’ matters. Just like your private consultant did.

Can you state where you work so those of us who don't want you near us can avoid you.

Can you state where you work so those of us who don't want you near us can avoid you.

Can you state what hospitals you frequent so we can avoid a patient like you.

I'm in Dublin so any of those hospitals. Where do you work?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

I'm in Dublin so any of those hospitals. Where do you work?

I'd like to think trying to identify a poster is against Boards rules.......

PhoneMain wrote: »
    I'd like to think trying to identify a poster is against Boards rules.......

No need to give their name, just a heads up of the general area. I wouldn't think that the IMO wants doctors calling people a pain in the hoop and saying they want to avoid them on a public forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Haha. Waiting for it. Just waiting for it. Nothing got to do with anything at all on this thread. Instead of engaging in the discussion you accuse me of ...something. Slinging some mud.

What are point are you trying to make?

Mod

Don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Economics101

This from RTE's report on Varadkar's FG Adr Fheis speech yesterday:
    The Tánaiste said the health services should retain the additional staff and billions of euro in extra funding which was provided to respond to the Covid-19 pandemic.
    And in reaction to what he said:
    Sinn Féin said it seems it took a global pandemic for Fine Gael to see that Ireland's health services are chronically underfunded

I thought that health funding in Ireland was just about the highest in Europe, when you take into account out demographics and private health insurance. No mention of what must be an extremely inefficient and ineffective system. Beware those who use emergencies such as a pandemic to make permanent power and resource grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This from RTE's report on Varadkar's FG Adr Fheis speech yesterday: And in reaction to what he said:

I thought that health funding in Ireland was just about the highest in Europe, when you take into account out demographics and private health insurance. No mention of what must be an extremely inefficient and ineffective system. Beware those who use emergencies such as a pandemic to make permanent power and resource grabs.

Precisely, the problem with health isn't money it's organisation and union practices.

SF will tackle neither.

They will go after the private healthcare system (i.e. the bit that works), so on average, the health system in Ireland will get worse.

I have found in recent years (and pre-pandemic) that the private hospitals are getting overwhelmed too. Most certainly their emergency st ices are very limited, and although your consultant might try and get you a bed for a sudden exacerbation of your condition, it is becoming increasingly unlikely a bed be very available. Same if you attend a private hospital ED, when it is open, not always a bed available and sometimes very long times sitting in a chair. I was beside a girl on a chair in a corridor who has been sitting in great discomfort for 7 hours and was told she was booked for theatre at 11pm, so many more hours to wait on that chair. She was likely then only to spend that night or maybe also the next in a bed after the surgery. In a public hospital she might have been able to at least lie on a trolley.

A good example is how little critical reaction there is to galloping cost over-runs, despite the lessons of the National Children's Hospital. The next big ticket item is the new maternity hospital at St Vincent's. The media are full of indignation about governance issues (I'm not denying their importance), but the fact that the estimated cost has gone from an original €150m to €300m to €500m (excluding equipment) and is now €800m in total, seems to be seriously under-reported and not critically analysed.
    Somewhere in the system there must be a big element of total incompetence or total dishonesty.
    The prospects for our health system are truly frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

You are correct.

We overspend on healthcare, relative to the age profile of our population.

The main reason is because the price of healthcare is very high here.

So even though we spend a lot, the volumes aren't high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

People here won't even pay for water ffs. They think clean drinking water magically arrives from the reservoir to their taps courtesy of nature.

The HSE magically think adding fluorosilic acid to the drinking water has no negative knock on health effects.

Science 101: Add acid to water to accelerate rusting iron.

Seanergy wrote: »
    The HSE magically think adding fluorosilic acid to the drinking water has no negative knock on health effects.

Science 101: Add acid to water to accelerate rusting iron.

Primacy school science:
    Countries which add fluoride to water have better dental health with no other side effects, but there are people who think otherwise, we call them loons.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Why an "irish NHS". Why can't we look what our European neighbours are doing in Germany, Spain, Italy etc. Why does everything we do have to ape the English? Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

astrofool wrote: »
    Primacy school science:
    Countries which add fluoride to water have better dental health with no other side effects, but there are people who think otherwise, we call them loons.

How is that we ranked 13th for healthiest teeth in Europe last year and not 1st? Easy up on the Loony talk.

Dumping acid into the water was seen by FF as the easier and cheaper solution to training dentists and creating practices half a century ago.

Regarding this thread, we need to stop treating our drinking water as a solution to developing/investing in proper dental health practice.

Screen-Shot-2021-06-20-at-17-45-39.png

How is that we ranked 13th for healthiest teeth in Europe last year and not 1st? Easy up on the Loony talk.

Dumping acid into the water was seen by FF as the easier and cheaper solution to training dentists and creating practices half a century ago.

Regarding this thread, we need to stop treating our drinking water as a solution to developing/investing in proper dental health practice.

Bring it to the appropriate forum or thread then, the science is sound on fluoride, those who deny it are loons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/576

Granadino wrote: »
    Why an "irish NHS". Why can't we look what our European neighbours are doing in Germany, Spain, Italy etc. Why does everything we do have to ape the English? Everything.
    Agreed. I think some of this was touched on earlier on. The British tend to think that the NHS is the world's best, and so do many people in Ireland. Continental Europe has many excellent health systems, generally insurance-based.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Agreed. I think some of this was touched on earlier on. The British tend to think that the NHS is the world's best, and so do many people in Ireland. Continental Europe has many excellent health systems, generally insurance-based.

Indeed, although I don't think its fair to say they are insured and we aren't. France is insurance based but that insurance is run by the government for the most part covering a huge chunk of any medical need, 100% where its very expensive or an LTI. You can then by supplementary insurance to cover the small gap between state insurance and the top up you might have to pay. In effect, a huge chunk of it is effectively state covered healthcare but they call it insurance, sort of akin to PRSI. Belgium which I found great was much the same, although it would appear if you didn't work you didn't get it, but I could be wrong about that.

So what these countries call Insurance, as far as I can tell is state subsidised healthcare you pay for out of your taxes. I think the biggest difference is management and the lack of tolerance of administrative waste. The US which is heavily private insurance based, costs a huge amount more in terms of %GDP, as well as an administrative cost that takes up I think around >40% of the overall cost, compared to I think around 6% in the UK, not sure what it is here. I understand we spend less than other EU countries in regards % of GDP but that might not be a fair indicator as GDPs vary. According to the journal.ie Ireland only uses 3% for administrative costs, although I don't know if that figure takes into account wages of admin staff as it seems low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

CramCycle wrote: »
    I understand we spend less than other EU countries in regards % of GDP but that might not be a fair indicator as GDPs vary. According to the journal.ie Ireland only uses 3% for administrative costs, although I don't know if that figure takes into account wages of admin staff as it seems low.

GDP is inflated by MNC activity here.

Look at healthcare exp pp instead.

We overspend.

Advertisement