Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Main dealer warranty or 3rd party?

• 22-04-2021 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ v0ldeMort

Hi, buying 2nd hand car from main dealer, 110k (km) on it. They are offering 6 month dealer warranty or 1 year 3rd party.
    Which to go for?
    Likely to have done 13k (km) or so in the 6 months possibly more if we get out of the lockdown(!).

I don't hear great things about 3rd party warranty, I could be mistaken.

Car is coming fully serviced, new NCT, dealer has been excellent to deal with so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭ User1998

You should probably read the fine print of each and see which is best. There are lots of different levels of cover for third party warranties

• Registered Users Posts: 72,780 ✭✭✭✭ colm_mcm

Main dealer warranty is often better.
    Dealers often use a 3rd party warranty to avoid having to deal with claims, just remember that your primary recourse is with the dealer, and the 3rd party warranty is in addition to your consumer rights.

I’d imagine if an item went that wasn’t covered by the 3rd party warranty then the dealer wouldn’t cover it either. They might cover more on their own warranty in the absence of a 3rd party one..

If it’s a main dealer for a brand then their own warranty is probably quite good.

Advertisement