Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temperature of hot water

Options
  • 21-04-2021 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi
    Have solar installed and its heating hot water. Have anybody came across a way to know what temp is in cylinder . Just if you wanted to have a shower in morning is there any way of checking temp
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi
    Have solar installed and its heating hot water. Have anybody came across a way to know what temp is in cylinder . Just if you wanted to have a shower in morning is there any way of checking temp
    Thanks

I’ve been chasing this myself as I have an eddi.
    Sometimes during winter, not a lot gets diverted but enough to heat for a shower.

I’ve resorted to manual method of putting my hand on the top pipe that leaves the cylinder. That pipe is directly touching the water in the cylinder, so if that’s hot, inside is scalding. If that’s warm, inside is hot etc

Think of it like a spoon in a cup of boiling water. Think of how the spoon heats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Do you not have a sensor at the top of the tank to give you the temperature?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

You can get a thermometer that can be mounted into the tank. My dad has one on his.

If it's a copper tank with foam insulation you could get this and push it under the insulation at the top.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thlevel-Thermometer-Temperature-External-Refrigerator/dp/B07TY6HRL4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=thermometer+with+probe&qid=1619074600&sprefix=themometer+with+pro&sr=8-4

Or zip tie it to the pipe coming out but allow a few degrees as Gumbo says. As soon as you turn water on it will shoot up to the actual temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

I’m using 3 of these sensors to see if i can tell how much hot water is in the tank.
    One is placed on the pipe coming out of the top of the tank.
    One is on the middle pipe (mid way down the tank) and one is just for ambient temperature in the hot press.

Been looking at this the past 2 weeks and it looks like the one attached to the middle pipe gives a good indication when you are running out of hot water.

I used to try to judge it by the power consumed so if the tank got 7-8kw in a day it would be full of hot water (the iboost cuts out)
    Get about 35-40 mins of hot water for showers out of a full tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Duine_Eigin

Gumbo wrote: »
    I’ve been chasing this myself as I have an eddi.
    Sometimes during winter, not a lot gets diverted but enough to heat for a shower.

I’ve resorted to manual method of putting my hand on the top pipe that leaves the cylinder. That pipe is directly touching the water in the cylinder, so if that’s hot, inside is scalding. If that’s warm, inside is hot etc

Think of it like a spoon in a cup of boiling water. Think of how the spoon heats up.

You could get the optional relay board for the eddi which will give you the temp in the tank. You need a PT1000 temperature probe too, I got mine on amazon. The temp is shown on the screen of the eddi and also in the app (if you have the myenergi hub installed). It's a simple install; just a matter of opening the eddi, fitting the relay board and plugging in the connector. It will also give you additional relay outputs for the eddi to control devices other than the immersion.

https://myenergi.com/product/eddi-relay-sensor-board/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 way forward

Hi
    Dont have a eddie or a sensor at top of tank . Will take a look at amazon.

db wrote: »

I don’t.

You could get the optional relay board for the eddi which will give you the temp in the tank. You need a PT1000 temperature probe too, I got mine on amazon. The temp is shown on the screen of the eddi and also in the app (if you have the myenergi hub installed). It's a simple install; just a matter of opening the eddi, fitting the relay board and plugging in the connector. It will also give you additional relay outputs for the eddi to control devices other than the immersion.

https://myenergi.com/product/eddi-relay-sensor-board/

Cheers. Seen that but don’t have the hub either.
    It may be something to consider if I ever change my car charger to a zappi as I’d require the hub at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 way forward

db wrote: »

What is the sensor at top of tank ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭championc

What is the sensor at top of tank ?

Normally some sort of probe, touching the copper cylinder, and relaying the information to a digital readout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,587 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Sorry for bumping an old thread just wondering have many fitted the relay board and thermostat sensor to their Eddi?

Recently replaced the old small cylinder to a new Joule Cyclone and would like to get accurate temperature information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I have, it's easy enough to do. Just a little fiddly trying to seat the ribbon cable for the board. A tweezers would be a help.

Thanks for the reply. Do you find it was a good addition to the setup? Board and probe are relatively cheap so thinking it could be useful for automation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

It's interesting having the information but haven't found much other use for it yet.

My use case would be to know if the water is hot enough the next morning to have a shower or do I need to boost via the Eddi or Gas. At the moment its a bit more manual by running the hot tap to check.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm not using the Eddi relay board, but pulling similar information from my Solar Thermal controller. I have a daily hot water boost to heat the water to a set temperature in HA (she increases the temp slider on the days she's washing her hair).

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What solar thermal controller to you have @Jonathan? I have a Kingspan SC400 that also shows me top cylinder temp, bottom cylinder temp and roof collector temp. Would love to get that info into home assistant

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Resol DeltaSol BS/3. I have the VBus output connected to a Raspberry Pi Zero.

Is the vbus hard to setup? Mine has vbus too. Once I figured out it was a rebadge.

VBus is similar to RS485 in that is is differential, but it uses different voltage levels so you need some circuitry to convert to appropriate levels. I'd recommending having a look at the Resol controller first. It seems some of the controllers output TTL level and use a different board to convert to VBus levels. My controller is newer (older?) and only outputs VBus levels, so I used this to convert. There are other circuit examples here and here. Once you have the hardware sorted, you are ar muin na muice.

As for the parsing side of it, because I used the rpi0 board, I used pyvbus to parse and serve the results as JSON over HTTP (this predated my use of HA). If I was starting again I'd push over MQTT but the REST sensor in HA integrates with this just as well.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the that,

Looks like mine is a sonnenkraft SKSC2. If I stick a multimeter on it, I should be able to see if it's TTL or not.

I do have rs485 boards but by they sounds of it I don't think I can use that directly

Looks like a rebadged DeltaSol CS/2. Sonnenkraft were clearly very imaginative in their new name. 😂

Turtles all the way down, the actual label is pro solar ps c104 😂

Good job I took the cover off..

No vbus terminal.

Also no voltage on it either, solar tubes have been in since.. 07/08ish

No time today for a full disassembly, I'll have a check another time,

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭oaklands

If all else fails, you could look into tapping the voltage levels of the PT1000s at the terminals using an ESP32's ADC or similar & report values over WiFi.

You would just have to calibrate the readings once against the water temp in the tank or if you could check how the resistor divider is laid out on the existing PCB you could be more confident of the values.....

However, you would want to be sure of what you were doing. I suspect the warranty is long gone.😁

I do have one shoved under the insulation at the top (the ds18b20 ones) and using it to control pump on the stove too.

I did hope to pull run time from it to calculate kwh too.

No stranger to pulling electronics apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 zarker

Hello there! I too have an sc400 and would love to be able to push this info into Home Assistant.

Have you had any luck in doing this yourself? Many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭championc

Is it the big SC400 which has the SD Card in the side ? If so, that's the rebadged Steca TR0604 and has an RS232 which I have connected to a Raspberry Pi and sends the data via MQTT to my main Node-Red

Advertisement