Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Ireland App now live

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ah I may have misinterpreted.

With the medal comps you mention, would there also be another comp on same day to set the standard scratch of the day though? Have same in my own club, it’s a daily comp, but the medal winners play for the gold medal also

I probably had the same interpretation. So it's a case that you need 8 rounds to get a PCC, but don't need a calculated PCC in order to submit a round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

We got a text sent out that we have to pay a fiver to register a score for handicap purposes.

If I just don’t pay the fiver and register my score in the app will my handicap secretary even know?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

etxp wrote: »
    We got a text sent out that we have to pay a fiver to register a score for handicap purposes.

If I just don’t pay the fiver and register my score in the app will my handicap secretary even know?

That's absolutely disgraceful imo. Pure greed. The whole purpose of GolfIreland joining the WHS is that casual rounds can count towards handicap. I'll probably play a few casual rounds this year and count them towards my handicap. Does that mean Ill stop playing competitions? Absolutely not.

It's all about getting a true reflection of the way you're playing as your handicap. If there's no prize on offer charging a fiver is scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

That's absolutely disgraceful imo. Pure greed. The whole purpose of GolfIreland joining the WHS is that casual rounds can count towards handicap. I'll probably play a few casual rounds this year and count them towards my handicap. Does that mean Ill stop playing competitions? Absolutely not.

It's all about getting a true reflection of the way you're playing as your handicap. If there's no prize on offer charging a fiver is scandalous.

Can understand where it’s coming from tbh. Probably fearful of the potential abuse for handicap purposes and an attempt to allay those fears. Also, a club looking to generate income after months of inactivity doesn’t make it wholly unreasonable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

slingerz wrote: »
    Can understand where it’s coming from tbh. Probably fearful of the potential abuse for handicap purposes and an attempt to allay those fears. Also, a club looking to generate income after months of inactivity doesn’t make it wholly unreasonable IMO.

Members have paid full fees for the year and didn't get to tee up for 4 months of the year. Charging for a round like that is OTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Can you even enter a score in HowDidiDo? It looks to me like it needs a competition to be set up by the club....... whether or not it is a competition.

The golf Ireland app looks like the place to enter casual scores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Whats the club. Shocking decision in my opinion. You have essentially a pay to play agreement

He will know......there is a report in clubhouse he can check against

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Whats the club. Shocking decision in my opinion. You have essentially a pay to play agreement

He will know......there is a report in clubhouse he can check against

Might know...... but apart from saying something to you can they really do anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

slingerz wrote: »

I can’t, scumbag behaviour from the club.

Might know...... but apart from saying something to you can they really do anything about it?

There is absolutely nothing they could do. In fact I would think they have broken terms of contrac when you became member

Also €5 is extreme, given that €3 of your fee for €5 comp would have gone to prizes

Also what type of club it is and the financial state of said club would play a big factor in my reaction

• Advertisement

Can you even enter a score in HowDidiDo? It looks to me like it needs a competition to be set up by the club....... whether or not it is a competition.

The golf Ireland app looks like the place to enter casual scores

We dont use HowDidiDo anyway.

I was just going to try and do a casual round in the Golf Ireland App without paying the fiver and see can he block it.

Club isn't in any Financial difficulties, it is just fear of handicap cheats abusing the system, and tbh i dont think a fiver would stop them if they are that way inclined.

Im also guessing they wouldnt be able to charge me for an away casual round?

Found in a publication from Golf Ireland link below, seems they can charge if they want, but if i Pre- register a score it has to be submitted for regardless, now is that submitted by me, or by the club?

"While it is a matter for each club if it wishes to charge for General play rounds, all pre-registered General play scores returned must be submitted for handicap purposes irrespective of whether or not payment has been made."

https://static.clubhouse.golfireland.ie/clubs/1000/uploads/files/club_support/gi%20advice%20to%20handicap%20committees21april%20final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

The pierce Purcell competitions of the last few years would say otherwise unfortunately.
    They're everywhere.

As a Pierce Purcell team manager can we please remember that some of us play for the joy of competing in a team event and are not bandits. Really sick of the constant referrals to the PP as a rogue competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah we're the same, €5 admin charge!

Not too happy but at the same time I'm not mad about the idea of casual golf counting towards your handicap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

As a Pierce Purcell team manager can we please remember that some of us play for the joy of competing in a team event and are not bandits. Really sick of the constant referrals to the PP as a rogue competition.

Apologies, I didn't mean to tar EVERY PP player with the same brush.
    But let's be honest here. Its littered with bandits. I've played in it before. There's actually certain clubs, who I won't name here, who have a very bad name as a result of their behaviour towards winning at all costs.

Apologies, I didn't mean to tar EVERY PP player with the same brush.
    But let's be honest here. Its littered with bandits. I've played in it before. There's actually certain clubs, who I won't name here, who have a very bad name as a result of their behaviour towards winning at all costs.

Appreciate the apology. If you named the clubs there would be a lot of howling that you shouldnt name and shame but by just naming the competition all the time I feel the innocent do get tarred with that same brush.

We dont use HowDidiDo anyway.

I was just going to try and do a casual round in the Golf Ireland App without paying the fiver and see can he block it.

Club isn't in any Financial difficulties, it is just fear of handicap cheats abusing the system, and tbh i dont think a fiver would stop them if they are that way inclined.

Im also guessing they wouldnt be able to charge me for an away casual round?

Found in a publication from Golf Ireland link below, seems they can charge if they want, but if i Pre- register a score it has to be submitted for regardless, now is that submitted by me, or by the club?

"While it is a matter for each club if it wishes to charge for General play rounds, all pre-registered General play scores returned must be submitted for handicap purposes irrespective of whether or not payment has been made."

https://static.clubhouse.golfireland.ie/clubs/1000/uploads/files/club_support/gi%20advice%20to%20handicap%20committees21april%20final.pdf

was thinking about this.

when you sign up for a round i the golf Ireland app, don't you have to put in the name of your marker? I think I read that they then have to sign off on your round after you have submitted it and will get a reminder email to do so.

what happens if you are playing with someone who doesn't sign off on your score? maybe you are playing with a stranger who you can't give a shout out to or other reason.

or maybe i missed something.

it will be good to get feedback here from anyone submitting scores this week, whether it be through golf Ireland app or any other platform to see how it actually works in practice. I might throw a round in next Saturday but this morning and tomorrow will be just for the fun with second balls thrown down here and there

Yes you must name your marker and they will get a request to sign off on the score. I heard there is a time limit of a couple of hours as WHS updates every night at midnight.We'll find out this week how it works I suppose.

was thinking about this.

when you sign up for a round i the golf Ireland app, don't you have to put in the name of your marker? I think I read that they then have to sign off on your round after you have submitted it and will get a reminder email to do so.

what happens if you are playing with someone who doesn't sign off on your score? maybe you are playing with a stranger who you can't give a shout out to or other reason.

or maybe i missed something.

it will be good to get feedback here from anyone submitting scores this week, whether it be through golf Ireland app or any other platform to see how it actually works in practice. I might throw a round in next Saturday but this morning and tomorrow will be just for the fun with second balls thrown down here and there

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Yes you must name your marker and they will get a request to sign off on the score. I heard there is a time limit of a couple of hours as WHS updates every night at midnight.We'll find out this week how it works I suppose.

email from our club last night

"Following recent guidance from Golf Ireland, we have been advised that submitting general play scores for handicap purposes will not be facilitated at our Golf Club until the Government allows a further easing of COVID-19 restrictions at a future date. We will keep you posted on this matter."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

Ah ffs! I want to lower my handicap!

fearruanua wrote: »

"Following recent guidance from Golf Ireland, we have been advised that submitting general play scores for handicap purposes will not be facilitated at our Golf Club until the Government allows a further easing of COVID-19 restrictions at a future date. We will keep you posted on this matter."

Golf Ireland seem to be pushing the use of the app?

• Advertisement

Golf Ireland seem to be pushing the use of the app?

yes this seems odd.

I guess clubs can do as they wish, but they are wrongly putting it back on Golf Ireland who in their return to golf protocol clearly state "Clubs are permitted to administer handicap-qualifying activities"

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I would say that the issue highlighted by Fearruanua is by using the app people are bypassing the club systems and therefore a loss of income for the club who may have been charging for handicap qualifying non competitive golf.

In our club we had set up events on master scoreboard, for every day to allow members play qualifying golf, no charge, prior to the release of the app.

We have left them on the system for those who haven't downloaded the app.

Golf Ireland allowed clubs charge for qualifying golf in the return to protocols but then cut the legs from clubs by releasing the app. Personally I don't believe clubs should charge for non competitive handicap golf but some clubs saw it as a chance to get some income in when green fee & society golf is banned.

I think this is specific to his club. We were planning to have supplementary scores from today

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I think this is specific to his club. We were planning to have supplementary scores from today

Definitely seems to be the case alright!!!

Definitely seems to be the case alright!!!

What's your club out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

We're playing off non-competition tees at my club, so unfortunately it is not possible to submit a score since only the competition tees (white) have been rated with slope, etc. Hopefully we can play off the whites soon and start submitting casual scores, I'd like to get the opportunity to lower my handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Very different message from our club...not that many will avail of it in the short term me thinks...

As members are aware, at the end of 2020 the new World Handicap System was launched. Golf Ireland have now launched their own app where members can avail of entry for general play scores as well as many other features. As we currently will not be holding any competitions in the initial phase of reopening, members can avail of the entering a general play score for handicap purposes via the app.

higster wrote: »
    Very different message from our club...not that many will avail of it in the short term me thinks...

As members are aware, at the end of 2020 the new World Handicap System was launched. Golf Ireland have now launched their own app where members can avail of entry for general play scores as well as many other features. As we currently will not be holding any competitions in the initial phase of reopening, members can avail of the entering a general play score for handicap purposes via the app.

Only 14 scores entered in our place today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Only 14 scores entered in our place today
    Thats more than I would expect after a 5 month break. I know I'm not entering scores until I get back into the swing of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

anyone have trouble with the app today. Playing partner couldnt register before round as it kept telling him he wasnt at the course :-)

Advertisement