Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replace an ID.3 Tour.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

I would like to know what ye lads think of the id.4 infotainment compared to the id.3 but ye probably haven't tested it ?

I'm having a look at the id.4 on Monday evening, not sure whether I'll be allowed take it for a spin but my thoughts were that when I'm finished with it the missus might replace the Outlander Diesel as it's the type of car she likes.

The id.4 is quiet expensive though and I'm not entirely sure it's worth it over the E-Niro.

Why are you looking at the ID.4 if you have so many issues with VW software? If you go into any car looking for faults you'll find them.

How many years/versions did it take Tesla to get the software right?

cannco253 wrote: »
    Why are you looking at the ID.4

Mostly to finally convert the Missus to EV! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

... at least there's buttons to do what you want in a split second.

You’re describing the ID cars there.
    HVAC, radio, ACC all at the touch of a button. No touchscreen messing required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

We got a Leaf last year, and when it was time to change the diesel this year I was told only an EV would do....I hardly get a chance to use the ID.4 as it's always gone by the time I need it..

Good luck, there's no turning back now and the more EVs the better in my opinion !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JPLee

Kia e-Niro or Soul would be one of your choices. Reasonable price and more than 450km with the battery.

In addition to that Kia is providing a home charger free of charge.

Soul was the Car of The Year 2020. Test drive first, then you may change your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

If the original question is still open for answers, and totally ignoring the ID good/bad debate... it comes down to your personal preferences...

If range is a requirement AND options / features are your primary concern (as they are mine), then I would go for a Soul EV.
    It's standard spec + range is better than any sub €50 k car out there.

If range is your primary concern I'd go for a Kona (there are got deals to be had on new ones)

If very good range and reasonably good spec is your target I'd look at an eNiro

If you care more about style then range then maybe look at the ~ 50kw cars, Peugeot etc. look pretty nice (even the e-corsa)

I bought a soul last week based on that criteria. Specifically the combination of price, range and most importantly specs. (specifically, in order of importance: "leather" electric driver seat and lumbar, driving aids, stereo and LED headlights)
    Actually I bought 1 on Wednesday, returned it on Thursday and bought another on Friday (from same delaer) but that's another story.

I didn't "need" a new car but was concerned that the resale value of my ioniq 28 would significantly depreciate given the introduction of larger batteries in the last couple of years). Hence me acting now.

To be honest if he can keep the id.3 it has a lot of range with 77 Kwh on tap + 125 Kw charging with rumours of possible 170 Kw later this year but I stress, rumours.

However, there is a 5 seater on the way with 77 Kwh battery.

Silent Running, how do you find the travel assist ?

Any update since you got the car back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

If the original question is still open for answers, and totally ignoring the ID good/bad debate... it comes down to your personal preferences...

If range is a requirement AND options / features are your primary concern (as they are mine), then I would go for a Soul EV.
    It's standard spec + range is better than any sub €50 k car out there.

If range is your primary concern I'd go for a Kona (there are got deals to be had on new ones)

If very good range and reasonably good spec is your target I'd look at an eNiro

If you care more about style then range then maybe look at the ~ 50kw cars, Peugeot etc. look pretty nice (even the e-corsa)

I bought a soul last week based on that criteria. Specifically the combination of price, range and most importantly specs. (specifically, in order of importance: "leather" electric driver seat and lumbar, driving aids, stereo and LED headlights)
    Actually I bought 1 on Wednesday, returned it on Thursday and bought another on Friday (from same delaer) but that's another story.

I didn't "need" a new car but was concerned that the resale value of my ioniq 28 would significantly depreciate given the introduction of larger batteries in the last couple of years). Hence me acting now.

I switched from the e-Niro to the ID.3 Tour for the bigger battery and, hopefully, better range. Also other stuff like the better seats, AR HUD and matrix LED headlights. If everything had worked as it should, I would have been very happy with the switch. The e-Soul is one of the options if I'm back in the market for a replacement.

50kWh cars are off the shopping list due to range limitations.
    To be honest if he can keep the id.3 it has a lot of range with 77 Kwh on tap + 125 Kw charging with rumours of possible 170 Kw later this year but I stress, rumours.

However, there is a 5 seater on the way with 77 Kwh battery.
    Silent Running, how do you find the travel assist ?

Any update since you got the car back ?

If I get to keep a perfectly functioning ID.3 Tour I'd be delighted! I like the car a lot and it does what I want it to do.

I still have the car and I'm testing everything to see if there are any more issues beyond the failure to display the total distance covered by the car. So far, the software seems to be doing everything else it's supposed to do. I'd be fairly confident that the total distance glitch would be fixed.

The Tour 5 wouldn't really interest me. To get the 5th seat, which I don't have use for, I'd have to give up the fantastic ergo active seats, with the lumbar support, massage and electric adjustment. I'd also lose the AR HUD. Those are not things I'm willing to give up.

If I had to have 5 seats, I'd go for the Max version and live with the 58kWh battery and 100kW charging, with the consolation prize of the glass roof.

The LKAS in the Ioniq was pretty good, the LFA in the e-Niro was great and I did many thousands of kilometres hands and feet free. The Travel Assist is a big step up from the e-Niro. In the e-Niro you need two lines to have full confidence that the car will stay in the middle of the lane. The ID.3 needs only the centre line and will find the edge of the road, be it grass, dirt or kerbing. I've used it on country roads where I would have been more inclined to keep the hands on the wheel of the e-Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Are you still dealing with the dealership or have you tried going direct to VW customer service? It's a long shot since VW Ireland don't seem to do much of anything, but maybe if you can get their customer service department to hassle the dealership to hurry the f!ck up it'd help?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,733 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The Travel Assist is a big step up from the e-Niro. In the e-Niro you need two lines to have full confidence that the car will stay in the middle of the lane. The ID.3 needs only the centre line and will find the edge of the road, be it grass, dirt or kerbing. I've used it on country roads where I would have been more inclined to keep the hands on the wheel of the e-Niro.

That's great to hear. I haven't really seen that many decent reviews of the Travel Assist system online. Even the Tesla Autopilot struggles sometimes when there are missing lines or in the dark or in bad weather (the one area where the comma.ai Open Pilot system is superior to it). How is the VW system in those circumstances? How is the nagging when you are not holding the steering wheel?

I switched from the e-Niro to the ID.3 Tour for the bigger battery and, hopefully, better range. Also other stuff like the better seats, AR HUD and matrix LED headlights. If everything had worked as it should, I would have been very happy with the switch. The e-Soul is one of the options if I'm back in the market for a replacement.

50kWh cars are off the shopping list due to range limitations.

If I get to keep a perfectly functioning ID.3 Tour I'd be delighted! I like the car a lot and it does what I want it to do.

I still have the car and I'm testing everything to see if there are any more issues beyond the failure to display the total distance covered by the car. So far, the software seems to be doing everything else it's supposed to do. I'd be fairly confident that the total distance glitch would be fixed.

The Tour 5 wouldn't really interest me. To get the 5th seat, which I don't have use for, I'd have to give up the fantastic ergo active seats, with the lumbar support, massage and electric adjustment. I'd also lose the AR HUD. Those are not things I'm willing to give up.

If I had to have 5 seats, I'd go for the Max version and live with the 58kWh battery and 100kW charging, with the consolation prize of the glass roof.

The LKAS in the Ioniq was pretty good, the LFA in the e-Niro was great and I did many thousands of kilometres hands and feet free. The Travel Assist is a big step up from the e-Niro. In the e-Niro you need two lines to have full confidence that the car will stay in the middle of the lane. The ID.3 needs only the centre line and will find the edge of the road, be it grass, dirt or kerbing. I've used it on country roads where I would have been more inclined to keep the hands on the wheel of the e-Niro.

I think you're making me decide more for the id.3 now. The Travel assist is what interests me the most.

What are the seats like in the tour compared to the first which were pretty rotten ?

Is the HR hud worth it ? I'd be concerned about resale value once the 5 seater comes out.

Can you take pics of the interior of yours please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

.....If I get to keep a perfectly functioning ID.3 Tour I'd be delighted! I like the car a lot and it does what I want it to do.

In fairness if you can get it resolved and working as designed, it sounds like a great car/spec combination.... unfortunately out of my price range.
    best of luck with getting it all sorted and falling back in love with it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think you're making me decide more for the id.3 now. The Travel assist is what interests me the most.

What are the seats like in the tour compared to the first which were pretty rotten ?

Is the HR hud worth it ? I'd be concerned about resale value once the 5 seater comes out.

Don’t see much wrong with my 1st seats. Ok look a bit retro with the pattern but otherwise supportive comfy and hard wearing. Suits the Ikea interior lol

Sorry thought I was in the ID3 thread. On phone and I’m blaming Mad_Lad....

eagerv wrote: »
    Don’t see much wrong with my 1st seats. Ok look a bit retro with the pattern but otherwise supportive comfy and hard wearing. Suits the Ikea interior lol

Everyone blames me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Are you still dealing with the dealership or have you tried going direct to VW customer service? It's a long shot since VW Ireland don't seem to do much of anything, but maybe if you can get their customer service department to hassle the dealership to hurry the f!ck up it'd help?

I'm dealing with the dealership, they have been very good throughout and I've been e-mailing VW Ireland, who've been abysmal throughout. In fairness, my contract is with the dealer, not VW Ireland.
    unkel wrote: »
    That's great to hear. I haven't really seen that many decent reviews of the Travel Assist system online. Even the Tesla Autopilot struggles sometimes when there are missing lines or in the dark or in bad weather (the one area where the comma.ai Open Pilot system is superior to it). How is the VW system in those circumstances? How is the nagging when you are not holding the steering wheel?

I haven't had the opportunity to try the Travel assist out in bad weather, but in the dark, it's the same as in daylight: just needs one line.

It nags a bit quicker than the e-Niro and gets more angry when you ignore it. I can either rest my knee against the wheel to avoid the nag but contact with my knee for a fraction of a second is enough to stop it. If you ignore the nag completely it'll frighten the shit out of you by jerking the seatbelt against your shoulder. Just in case you're asleep, like. :D

The ergoactive seats look the same as the seats in the Max and Tech and 1st Plus variants, with light grey microfleece over a kind of silvery grey fade material, but that's where the similarity ends. I have been between the 1st Plus and my car for a few weeks at a time and the comfort is night and day. in the Tour, the height and strength adjustment of the lumbar support is something I really need (no lumbar support in the 1st seats). The bases are deeper, more like bucket type seats, and the massage.... I thought it might be a bit gimmicky, but it is really, really good!
    eagerv wrote: »

Don't worry my friend, you're more than welcome to stick your oar in. (quick boating reference there :P)
    Everyone blames me. :(

And you love it. :D

Advertisement