Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are ground floor gable windows a no-no in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-04-2021 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

I recall, years back, rural Planning Officers seemed to have a stringent strong policy against gable windows even for single storey or ground floor in two-storey. IMHO it badly constrained designs for 'ordinary houses'.
    • Is that still the case?
    • Is it the same in Dublin local authorities?
      Thanks for any help

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,987 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"gables" dont exist on ground floors....

so could you maybe describe in some other fashion what you are referring to??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Deeec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    "gables" dont exist on ground floors....

so could you maybe describe in some other fashion what you are referring to??

I think the OP means the sides of houses ( left and right hand side as opposed to front and back).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'd imagine the op is referring to the side wall of the house which is often referred to as the "gable wall" in Ireland and the actual gables are referred to as peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Presumably means a window in the side wall of a detached or semi-detached house.

but the OP is referring to Ground floor windows?

so if they are.... i can tell you from 21 years experience of rural planning (in at least 5 or 6 different counties) that i have never come across issues with ground floor side windows, as the construction of 2.0m high boundary walls is possible under the exempted developments.

side windows at first floor or over, absolutely there are issues with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Unless they mean a window in the actual gable part of the side wall to allow light into the attic?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Unless they mean a window in the actual gable part of the side wall to allow light into the attic?

Maybe, wouldn't be a ground floor window though.

We need the OP to clarify

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I got planning for 3 new windows at ground floor of my gable end wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Thanks lads for all the replies plus info. and sorry for the incorrect description. I was having a bad morning. However, where I come from the side wall, as distinct, from the front or back walls, was described as the 'gable' wall.
    Thanks STB I was going to PM you but thought that would be a bit 'forward' of me.
    I gather, so, that a window in the side wall, in this case, in the side of an extension to the side, would not be an (big) issue with planners. Midland planning authority I was very familiar with had a big problem with them but that was 20 years ago!!
    Im going to look through the Co Dev Plan for DLR to see if there is any guidance there, also. I can appreciate why 2nd storey would be an issue. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My house has frosted windows on one gable end at both ground and first floor, and at the other end it has clear glass in corner windows (wrapping round the corner) and a clear glazed door leading to a balcony.

I assume this is because the frosted end is only about 11m from the closest boundary which has a neighbouring house in the same line whereas the balcony end is maybe 25m from its boundary and the neighbouring house on that end is offset.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

PMBC wrote: »
    Thanks lads for all the replies plus info. and sorry for the incorrect description. I was having a bad morning. However, where I come from the side wall, as distinct, from the front or back walls, was described as the 'gable' wall.
    Thanks STB I was going to PM you but thought that would be a bit 'forward' of me.
    I gather, so, that a window in the side wall, in this case, in the side of an extension to the side, would not be an (big) issue with planners. Midland planning authority I was very familiar with had a big problem with them but that was 20 years ago!!
    Im going to look through the Co Dev Plan for DLR to see if there is any guidance there, also. I can appreciate why 2nd storey would be an issue. :o

I got planning for windows in the side wall in DLRCC recently on 2/3 jobs.
    Windows were large window seat type windows.

There will be nothing specific in the Dev Plan about them. They are assessed on their own merit.

Advertisement