Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Greatest Hits albums

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Arghus wrote: »
    Prince: The Singles is bloody great. 2 Discs of banger after banger and then the B-sides in the third disc, more absolute quality.

Beatles Past Masters 1 and 2

The Prince compilation was £34.99 in HMV when it came out first. I played it an awful lot over the years; B-sides were top notch and really well selected. Seriously great set although could have done with a few more single edits (which would mean more tracks fitting on). The more recent 4Ever is also great and plugs some of the other 7" gaps including Alphabet Street (half the length of the album version) and Batdance.

Past Masters excellent round-ups too; first heard them in that breadbin set.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I'm usually not one for Greatest Hits albums but I like most of this Anthology series:

https://www.discogs.com/Marvin-Gaye-Anthology/release/6508954

Others in the series are Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Four Tops and more.

Also The Best of the Pointer Sisters is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Chris Isaak's Wicked Game is a decent selection too, I'd forgotten about it until it shuffled up on the ipod this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Boring but there you go.
    David Bowie - Changesbowie
    Queen - Greatest Hits 1
    Abba - Abba Gold
    Beatles - Blue Album
    The Clash - Essential Clash

Apart from Abba, these albums actually got me into those artists. Queen when I was 13, late teens Bowie, late 20s Beatles, mid 30's The Clash. Apart from Queen and maybe Bowie I hated those bands before I "discovered" them. The Clash is probably the most recent and it was great discovering all that material! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Led Zeppelin - Remasters

David Bowie - Sound and Vision boxset ( contains not only some single tracks but a lot of B sides and early demos)

Joy Division - Heart & Soul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Led Zeppelin - Remasters

David Bowie - Sound and Vision boxset ( contains not only some single tracks but a lot of B sides and early demos)

Joy Division - Heart & Soul

Great choices.
    The Led Zeppelin one is a brilliant distillation of what was on the bigger 4CD set. My local record shop were having a vinyl purge in 1991 so I got the triple vinyl Remasters for £1.99 - all LPs were that price, no matter what.

I liked the Bowie one so much that I have bought it three times - 1989 vinyl, 1989 CD and the later 2003 reissue. It's a brilliant set. The Rykodisc reissues of his albums were really good. Decent bonus tracks and good sound.

The Joy Division one is top too.

Those early box sets - where every CD has its own jewel case - were excellent. Made you feel like you were getting something special.

87855840_10163244792220089_2288429614067875840_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=_v8NYVu6MWoAX_ZofEx&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=182f1e455e539ff04451e6c55e7a80b3&oe=609CD1A7

Advertisement