Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shotgun Bluing

Options
  • 31-03-2021 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Where can I get a shotgun properly blued in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I reckon you'd have to send it to the uk to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BSA International

Gerry Gearon near Clonmel, Co. Tipp. Sorry no contact details. He does proper hot blueing Buddy got an old shotgun done by him. Brilliant job.

Gerry Gearon near Clonmel, Co. Tipp. Sorry no contact details. He does proper hot blueing Buddy got an old shotgun done by him. Brilliant job.

Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

This is Gerry's number (052)6138164.
    You will need to ring him as I don't think he will meet you if you turn up unannounced.
    Gerry is getting on in years now so I'm not sure if he is still bluing and gunsmithing( he was up to about 2 years ago), but his son Maurice is there and he is very good also.
    Gerry did a bluing job for my dad about 40 years ago and it is still perfect.
    The last time I was with him he was servicing a lot of top end shotguns for some of the big shoots in the country ( Purdeys, Holland & Holland etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

That would have been a good gig for the Irish tv show 'Hands'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

He did an amazing job on my shotgun about 6 years ago, barrels still look like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭archerforever

He doesn't do it anymore lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Whoever you let do it make sure they dont hot blue it. Hot caustic bluing will destroy shotgun barrels. They will look fine but they will be in a very dangerous state. Shotgun barrels have to be slow rust blued. The hot caustic salt eats solder and then you get some of the solutions in between the barrels which will eat away at them until they burst. which will take a long time. Ive had to rerib quite a few and had to bin a load more. Dont listen to any stories about how its fine because its not under any circumstances.

I used to be able to have a local chemists shop make up the slow rust solution for me, its a nitric acid, copper sulphate and distilled water mix. The chemists is long gone and no one i ask will make it up for me anymore. A lot of chemicals are difficult to buy now, probably down to them being useful to our illegal drug gangs and stupid eu regulations.

Brownells in the USA have a rust bluing solution, but i don't think they or brownells in the uk or europe will supply it. E.J Blackley in England also do a rust blue solution, but again they are not allowed to dispatch it outside the Uk.

I wish the wallys who write all these laws to make things better would stop, they make things far worse.

https://www.brownells.co.uk/16-oz-EXPRESS-BLUE-1-MARK-LEE-575200016

https://www.blackleyandson.com/acatalog/Gunguard-Slow-Blue-Solution-120.html#SID=63

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BSA International

juice1304 wrote: »
    Whoever you let do it make sure they dont hot blue it. Hot caustic bluing will destroy shotgun barrels. They will look fine but they will be in a very dangerous state. Shotgun barrels have to be slow rust blued. The hot caustic salt eats solder and then you get some of the solutions in between the barrels which will eat away at them until they burst. which will take a long time. Ive had to rerib quite a few and had to bin a load more. Dont listen to any stories about how its fine because its not under any circumstances.

You live and learn.

Thought there was only hot & cold bluing. He could have been doing the slow rust job you mention.

• Advertisement

You live and learn.

Thought there was only hot & cold bluing. He could have been doing the slow rust job you mention.

Cold bluing is next to useless in my experience of it. Not durable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭JP22

I stand to be corrected but from what I see online, I think modern cold bluing compounds are far better than that of old. My understanding is metal work has to be stripped bare and polished to acheive the best results and numerous coats are required.

JP22 wrote: »
    I stand to be corrected but from what I see online, I think modern cold bluing compounds are far better than that of old. My understanding is metal work has to be stripped bare and polished to acheive the best results and numerous coats are required.

It wouldn't be hard to be better than the old stuff, it was dire, complete pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

John conroy outside of portlaoise. Did an old sxs for me turned out well

Advertisement