Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remote work from Mexico

• 27-03-2021 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am an Irish citizen and permanent resident in Canada but currently living in Mexico (long story :o ) with my partner and daughter (Mexican and Canadian citizen) on a visitors visa and intend to return to Canada when the global situation returns to some sort of normality.

I'm not working at the moment and want to find remote work (earning USD, EUR, CAD) while in Mexico. It's difficult in Ireland due to the time difference, Canadian companies I've been applying to want me to be located in Canada and I don't even know if I can legally work remotely for a US company but I've been applying anyway.

My experience is about 5 years in accounting and payments (Bachelor business/accounting degree - never completed professional exams) but I'm happy to do any kind of data entry/customer experience type of work. I don't even care about a high paid position as the cost of living is so low and we'll probably be here for the rest of 2021 at least.

Does anyone know websites or agencies that would suit my situation?
    Or any advice in general. Like if I'm wasting my time even applying for remote jobs in the US. I've read up and it seems non US citizens set up as sole traders instead of being employees of the US company. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I would imagine being tax compliant is your biggest challenge.

Not many countries want the headache of dealing with another tax system.
    Contracting and self employment is always an option there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are on a visitor's visa. I know nothing about Mexican law, but would be surprised if you are allowed to work, even as self-employed, while you are on one.

Ditto re knowledge of Mexican tax law. But in most countries, if a company employs someone living in the country, then the company has to operate the country's tax system, whatever that might be. I cannot see too many EUR currency based companies being interested in doing that for Mexico (unless they already have an operation there - in which case they'll hire you like a Mexican and pay local wages).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

You could go sole trader route and register to pay taxes in Canada. You technically shouldn't be working in Mexico on holiday visa's but if you don't have Mexican clients and your business is based in Canada and income arrives to a Canadian account then it's a grey area that you can get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You are on a visitor's visa. I know nothing about Mexican law, but would be surprised if you are allowed to work, even as self-employed, while you are on one.

Ditto re knowledge of Mexican tax law. But in most countries, if a company employs someone living in the country, then the company has to operate the country's tax system, whatever that might be. I cannot see too many EUR currency based companies being interested in doing that for Mexico (unless they already have an operation there - in which case they'll hire you like a Mexican and pay local wages).

There's customs regulations around the transfer of intellectual property between different countries and data protection issues for personal data transfers.

Google and other companies have already called their workers who got stuck in/went to different countries at the start of the lock down back to the country they are employed in, they still aren't going to the office. In the USA its even difficult to work in a different State never mind a different country.

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am an Irish citizen and permanent resident in Canada but currently living in Mexico (long story :o ) with my partner and daughter (Mexican and Canadian citizen) on a visitors visa and intend to return to Canada when the global situation returns to some sort of normality.

I'm not working at the moment and want to find remote work (earning USD, EUR, CAD) while in Mexico. It's difficult in Ireland due to the time difference, Canadian companies I've been applying to want me to be located in Canada and I don't even know if I can legally work remotely for a US company but I've been applying anyway.

My experience is about 5 years in accounting and payments (Bachelor business/accounting degree - never completed professional exams) but I'm happy to do any kind of data entry/customer experience type of work. I don't even care about a high paid position as the cost of living is so low and we'll probably be here for the rest of 2021 at least.

Does anyone know websites or agencies that would suit my situation?
    Or any advice in general. Like if I'm wasting my time even applying for remote jobs in the US. I've read up and it seems non US citizens set up as sole traders instead of being employees of the US company. :confused:

Well I am not sure what your visa is there but if it is not permanent you are domiciled in Ireland for tax purposes. You could get remote work and pay into an Irish company you own or are a director of, paying tax in Ireland. There are companies that can set that up for you.

You might need to worry about the tax situation if you take too long there, but on a non migrant visa I doubt if that is an issue. More of an issue is that you might outstay your visa but that is a seperate issue.

edit:

Oops I missed the Canada part. Just replace Ireland with Canada.

• Advertisement
Advertisement