Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listening to music - headphones v speakers

Options
  • 26-03-2021 6:11pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭


    Didn't know whether to post this in here, or in the Headphones section.

    I use a pair of Samsung Buds+ to listen to music while walking, and a pair of Sennheiser HD25 to listen sometimes at home.

    Couple of weeks ago I got a pair of Creative Gigaworks T40 to add to my WFH setup, so I could listen without headphones.

    First off, I was really impressed with them, its not like they are expensive or from a proper hi-fi company, but was really surprised.

    Problem is, when I go a walk now, my Buds+ sound crap compared to them, after listening to the speakers for hours beforehand.

    Still ok, but the speakers really bring the music to life. You can hear the stereo separation so much better, great soundstage and focusing of voices, plus I hear little sounds and nuances in the music that just aren't there in the earbuds.

    I know spending more money on the headphones/earbuds might bring them closer, but the speakers were much cheaper than the Buds.

    For me, it'll always be speakers at home now.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam


    Why not pick up something like sennheiser hd 201. They're an amazing phone for the price point. They're about 30 quid and fairly light for a closed headphone so you could walk with them..


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl


    NIMAN wrote: »
    Still ok, but the speakers really bring the music to life. You can hear the stereo separation so much better, great soundstage and focusing of voices, plus I hear little sounds and nuances in the music that just aren't there in the earbuds.

    Agreed entirely, plus headphones are an inconvenience. For me it is speakers by preference and headphones or earbuds as an often necessary compromise. I've also noticed out walking or jogging that earbuds seem to be an attack signal for local dogs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN


    limnam wrote: »
    Why not pick up something like sennheiser hd 201. They're an amazing phone for the price point. They're about 30 quid and fairly light for a closed headphone so you could walk with them..

    Why would I buy another pair of headphones when I have 2 already? (3 in fact, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD599 too that I've never used). I can't see how another pair would affect the outcome of the difference between speakers and phones, which was the point of the thread.

    Plus, I don't like the idea of having a large pair of headphones on during walks, that's the reason the buds+ were bought, for discreet wireless connectivity.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam


    NIMAN wrote: »
    Why would I buy another pair of headphones when I have 2 already? (3 in fact, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD599 too that I've never used). I can't see how another pair would affect the outcome of the difference between speakers and phones, which was the point of the thread.

    Plus, I don't like the idea of having a large pair of headphones on during walks, that's the reason the buds+ were bought, for discreet wireless connectivity.

    Sorry Niman, I think I misunderstood the ask.

    I thought you were looking for something to wear walking that might give more stage etc instead of the buds.


  • Posts: 3,689 [Deleted User]


    Are these speakers wired as distinct from wireless?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN


    Are these speakers wired as distinct from wireless?

    Yeah speakers are wired to my laptop or phone.

    But don't think that's the issue, I just think it shows that speakers are better for music listening than headphones, assuming you aren't spending massive money.

    I have no doubt if I was to get headphones costing hundreds I might get much better sound, but I bought these speakers for very little money and they sound so good. That's the point I think!


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN


    limnam wrote: »
    Sorry Niman, I think I misunderstood the ask.

    I thought you were looking for something to wear walking that might give more stage etc instead of the buds.

    No, basically just pointing out how much more detailed the music was from the speakers versus the earbuds.


  • Posts: 3,689 [Deleted User]


    OP have you tried connecting the speakers to your telly? Chances are there's a port at the back. No harm in trying is there?


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN


    OP have you tried connecting the speakers to your telly? Chances are there's a port at the back. No harm in trying is there?

    Not sure what made you recommend that?

    I don't think you're following the point of the thread at all.


  • Posts: 3,689 [Deleted User]


    In lighthearted sense


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder


    how do the HD25s compare to the speakers?
    you seem to be mixing use cases; you mentioned that you're going to stick with the speakers at home from now on, as they're better than the buds, but mentioned the buds were mainly for when out walking?


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN


    It's always the speakers now when WFH.
    Before I had them, I would have used the HD25 as the sound from the laptop was rubbish, as you'd expect.

    But as I say, headphones don't come close to producing the quality out of the speakers. And funnily enough I have a pair of Behringers MS16 purchased as well, just haven't had a chance to connect them up yet. I'm doubting they could improve on the T40.

    Walking it'll still be the Buds+, as I prefer small to over the head ones.

    Appreciate that I have different sources for different uses, but I remember years back I used to hear extra detail in songs when I would have listened through headphones. But I'm surprised now that a cheap pair of pc speakers are revealing so much extra details over my headphones.


Advertisement