Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1375054138740989956?s=20

We may as well give up.

Thought 6 was a typo.

They can only give a second dose to people who have had a first dose after the 3-4 week period.
    The 6 people are likely people who received a first dose (left over from a batch of second doses being given out) So they are out of sequence (sort of speak).

Go though the vaccination reports, there's days where there's 16, 9, 10 second doses being given out. There's days where they focus on 1st doses but can't let someone due a second dose wait. There's also days where they focus on second doses and very few first doses are given out (that will change now with AZ due to the 12 week gap between shots)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

timmyntc wrote: »
    CSO breakdowns with underlying conditions are a month behind or so.
    Also there is no handy breakdown of all hospitalisations so will have to dig through spreadsheets

Underlying Condition | Deaths | Median Age | Total Cases | Median Age
    Underlying medical condition other than COVID-19 | 2,787 | 83 |29,418 | 55
    No underlying medical condition other than COVID-19 | 365 | 84 |151,673 | 35
    Unknown| 261 | 83| 22,518 | 38
    ||||
    Total | 3,621 | 203,609 | 38|
    Confirmed cases |3,413 | 83 |203,609 | 38
    Probable cases | 208 | ? | 0 | ?

Actually there is a weekly breakdown including underlying conditions of those hospitalised - no cumulative totals but its astart.
    see below:
    Category | 20/11 | 27/11 | 04/12 | 11/12 | 18/12 | 25/12 | 01/01 | 08/01 | 15/01* | 22/01* | 29/01* | 05/02*
    of which admitted to hospital ||||||||||||
    Underlying clinical conditions ||||||||||||
    Yes | 61% | 61% | 61% | 61% | 61% | 61% | 61% | 61% | 61% | 61% | 47% | 47%
    No | 20% | 20% |20%| 20% |20%| 20%| 20%| 20%| 20%| 20%| 39% |39%
    Not Specified |19%| 19% |19% |19%| 19%| 19% |19% |19% |19% |19% |14%| 14%

of which Admitted to ICU
    Underlying clinical conditions
    Yes | 87% |87% |87% |87%| 87%| 87%| 84%| 81% |81% |81% |80% |80%
    No|13% |13%| 13%|13% |13%| 13% |12%| 12%| 12% |12%| 13% |13%
    Not Specified |0%| 0%| 0%|0% |0% |0%| 4%| 7%| 7%| 7%| 7%| 7%

OK. But none of those figures support your idea that
    timmyntc wrote:
    Deaths and hospitalisations (deaths in particular) under 65s are overwhelmingly among those with underlying conditions. Relatively few healthy under 65s end up in hospital

In a discussion looking at age range totals - appropriating proportionality does not really get us anywhere tbh.

At the end of the day whether or not someone has an underlying condition is largely irrelevant to the basic fact that approx 50% of all those in hospital with covid are under 65s . Its not like we can exclude them from that total simply because they may or not have a relevant underlying condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭timmyntc

gozunda wrote: »
    OK. But none of those figures support your idea that

In a discussion looking at age range totals - appropriating proportionality does not really get us anywhere tbh.

At the end of the day whether or not someone has an underlying condition is largely irrelevant to the basic fact that approx 50% of all those in hospital with covid are under 65s . Its not like we can exclude them from that total simply because they may or not have a relevant underlying condition.

Yes we can! The whole point is the impact of vaccinations, and those under 65 with an underlying condition are a key vaccination group. The vaccination plan is to cover these people asap because they are a higher risk!

If the people coordinating our vaccine response are acknowledging this fact, why wont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

GP referral data from yesterday is out. It does seem to have levelled off, and possibly going down a bit again.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-03-25_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

JDD wrote: »
    GDP is a useless measure for determining how covid has effected our economy. It is particularly useless as a comparative measure between ourselves and other EU countries.

If you want a good overview of how restrictions and lockdowns have affected the Irish economy, read the Central Bank's opening statement to the Budgetary JOC delivered on Tuesday https://www.centralbank.ie/news/article/speech-opening-statement-mark-cassidy-oireachtas-committee-23-mar-2021

TL:DR We won't be back at January 2020 levels for another two years. In the meantime, significant (though reducing) numbers will remain on some form of pandemic supports.

The continued closure of housing construction will be particularly destructive. There are so many knock on effects of increasing house prices that a large swathe of the population are going to feel the economic aftershocks of covid lockdowns for many years to come.

You better complain to the EU Commission and not me about using GDP as an economic indicator btw.

And yes I believe I already detailed that our economy has experienced significant and serious impacts due to covid.

As to "housing". The situation is much more complex than you may imagine.

https://www.davy.ie/market-and-insights/insights/myhome/impact-of-covid-on-housing-market.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Wolf359f wrote: »
    They can only give a second dose to people who have had a first dose after the 3-4 week period.
    The 6 people are likely people who received a first dose (left over from a batch of second doses being given out) So they are out of sequence (sort of speak).

Go though the vaccination reports, there's days where there's 16, 9, 10 second doses being given out. There's days where they focus on 1st doses but can't let someone due a second dose wait. There's also days where they focus on second doses and very few first doses are given out (that will change now with AZ due to the 12 week gap between shots)

On Sunday we had at least 175,000 vaccine doses in storage.

It's not just a supply issue

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1375037640169361412

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

So the people contracted to supply the vaccines aren't responsible for supplying the vaccines.

Thats pretty sweet for them.

What about the people who chose the suppliers instead of others . Who didn't do their due diligence

The biggest crisis since WW2

6 doses a day haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭timmyntc

gozunda wrote: »
    You better complain to the EU Commission and not me about using GDP as an economic indicator btw.

And yes I believe I already detailed that our economy has experienced significant and serious impacts due to covid.

As to "housing". The situation is much more complex than you may imagine.

https://www.davy.ie/market-and-insights/insights/myhome/impact-of-covid-on-housing-market.html

The EU dont use Irish GDP - its a situation unique to us as a tax haven.
    We instead should use modified GNI*.

The CSO record this specifically because Irish GDP is unreliable due to the impact of airplane registration )& other assets being registered here) and multinational profits that are funnelled through here. They do not generate revenue or economic activity for this country, but they erroneously show up in our GDP metrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

So the people contracted to supply the vaccines aren't responsible for supplying the vaccines.

Thats pretty sweet for them.

What about the people who chose the suppliers instead of others . Who didn't do their due diligence

The biggest crisis since WW2

6 doses a day haha

On Sunday we had at least 175,000 vaccine doses in storage.

It's not just a supply issue

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1375037640169361412

In storage can mean in gp fridges. You can't take the number delivered and subtract the number administered.
    It's the number delivered minus the number administered minus the number of vaccines dispatched around the counties to centers and gp's for jabbing over the course of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1375054138740989956?s=20

We may as well give up.

Thought 6 was a typo.

I am sorry, but 6 second doses on one day.

You have to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,690 ✭✭✭✭JRant

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Seems to be big queues for the Grangegorman walk in centre

Is there anything Irish people won't queue for as long as it is free.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

JRant wrote: »

I just hope it won't lead to too many new cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

You know for sure these queue numbers will be added to the nphet worry scale

" Level 5 lockdown extended due to queues to get tested for no apparent reason"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I just hope it won't lead to too many new cases

Outside so should be ok, but yeah people who suspect they might have covid might not be the best choice to share a queue with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

People who dont feel ill should also go queue.

Keep the positive % of swabs low.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

TheDoctor wrote: »
    People who dont feel ill should also go queue.

Keep the positive % of swabs low.

Sure your only allowed to go if your not ill.

Can't go if you've symptoms, still have to contact your GP

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Renault 5 wrote: »
    You know for sure these queue numbers will be added to the nphet worry scale

" Level 5 lockdown extended due to queues to get tested for no apparent reason"

Well they have form: https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1329496235431129094

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/operator-rejects-claims-by-dr-tony-holohan-that-car-parks-are-full-1.4417015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Maybe change the test to anal swab test and the numbers might tumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

OwenM wrote: »

Well maybe they should have enforced working from home rather than just suggesting it. Because companies are so well-known for putting the welfare of their employees over profits. Jesus christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭prunudo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Maybe change the test to anal swab test and the numbers might tumble.

Or may go up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

prunudo wrote: »
    I was getting ready to go on angry rant until I realised it was an old tweet.

You stopped yourself before I got the chance then. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Wolf359f wrote: »
    In storage can mean in gp fridges. You can't take the number delivered and subtract the number administered.
    It's the number delivered minus the number administered minus the number of vaccines dispatched around the counties to centers and gp's for jabbing over the course of the week.

Its irrelevant where these 175,000 doses are - they should be in peoples arms.

20 or 30 k you might understand but 175,000!!!! Theres no excuse for this amount sitting in storage.

Thats 25% of our over 65s that "could" have gotten either a first or second vaccine.

I said this back in December and its panning out exactly the way I thought it would.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115677170&postcount=277
    All well and good having a vaccine approved. However we still have Tony Holohan , Stephen Donnelly ,Mehole etc administering the rolling out of it.

We`ll be even more ****ed letting this lot get near the roll out of this.

And apparently theres a million doses coming next week - these idiots havent a hope in hell of organising putting a million vaccines into peoples arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Hellrazer wrote: »

20 or 30 k you might understand but 175,000!!!! Theres no excuse for this amount sitting in storage.

Thats 25% of our over 65s that "could" have gotten either a first or second vaccine.

I said this back in December and its panning out exactly the way I thought it would.

And apparently theres a million doses coming next week - these idiots havent a hope in hell of organising putting a million vaccines into peoples arms.

To start with you've a large bulk of AZ that couldn't be used for a week so stock on hand increases there by roughly 90k while it couldn't be used. Secondly Moderna require 50% of stock to be held back(manufactures orders), 30/40k Pfizer buffer at all times. That's up to the weekend so while you say "no excuses" it's perfectly logically to see where the 175k has come from.

Should reduce down now during the course of the week with AZ back in use and this weeks vaccinations to come out of it.

Secondly there isn't a million doses coming next week.

Anyway I'm overlapping here with the vaccine thread

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Varadkar saying he can't see cases going under 500 a day. But of course only a small fraction of those will require hospital treatment and even that number should decrease as the vaccines cover the whole over 70s and vulnerable people. They don't want to open up, that's all you can take from that. NPHET needs to be reined in.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

175k does seem very big, I thought a buffer was required, not storing/earmarking 1:1 stock as 2nd doses which this does look like, but your last point is going to be the real news, Donnelly is going to rightly get abused when the vaccinations don't scale with large deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

GP referral data from yesterday is out. It does seem to have levelled off, and possibly going down a bit again.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-03-25_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

Going in right direction at least. I would say that if we don't see a big jump in positive case numbers over the next couple of days that this GP referral numbers jump reflected a jump in people with covid like symptoms rather than a jump in people with covid. The case numbers this week don't reflect a virtual doubling of GP referrals late last week and early this.

I don't think it's possible for us to administer 175k in a day. If we did, there's gonna be backlash when the rest of the week we have zero administered.

What ever about AZ and having to reschedule people. Pfizer could very well get delivered to a GP on a Monday afternoon, so it's very hard for them to go full steam when they have to reconstitute it. Is not also prudent especially with some GP's getting left short on deliveries, they hold some back as a buffer to prevent it? You also have 10k (I believe) spoilt vaccines, that does not get taken into any consideration on figures.

Monday's figures are up 6k on last Mondays. Like case numbers, don't get fixated on a single day. Save your rage for the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Going in right direction at least. I would say that if we don't see a big jump in positive case numbers over the next couple of days that this GP referral numbers jump reflected a jump in people with covid like symptoms rather than a jump in people with covid. The case numbers this week don't reflect a virtual doubling of GP referrals late last week and early this.

Fingers crossed it's just covid like symptoms

Colds definitely going around in Cork

Lot of parents getting it from school kids

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement