Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxing Music / Sounds

• 22-03-2021 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Good Evening everyone!

I am interested in know what music helps you to relax. Is it music with words or without words? What instruments do you like listening to? When I have had a hard day or when I have a headache, music with no words is great. It means I don't have to concentrate on anything and can just zone out.

I also know that some sounds help people to switch off for a while or helps to get them to sleep. What are yours? I like the sound of rain or a crackling fire.

:-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

I do enjoy using relaxation apps on my kindle Fire - the sound of rain and thunder is great I use a timer on the app do it automatically switches off after 20 min

Music wise to chill out “Gone to earth” by David Sylvian is great, I also enjoy Death Cab For Cuties album “ Plans”

I have just this week discovered an artist called Sakura (RIP)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 uiolfg

I listen to the sounds of ice on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

Zakir Hussain & Rakesh Chaurasia are Indian musicians and play some lovely pieces which I have on a playlist, really helps me switch off. I took up meditation a few years and like to play this afterwards or when I need relax.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

some obvious ones like 'music for airports' spring to mind.

this is one of my all time favourite tracks:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Christes

Christes wrote: »
    Good Evening everyone!

I am interested in know what music helps you to relax. Is it music with words or without words? What instruments do you like listening to? When I have had a hard day or when I have a headache, music with no words is great. It means I don't have to concentrate on anything and can just zone out.

I also know that some sounds help people to switch off for a while or helps to get them to sleep. What are yours? I like the sound of rain or a crackling fire.

:-)

Cuttlefish, Yes after about 30 minutes after about 30 mins listening to rain, thunder, or even a crackling fire, I am often in a deep sleep. I listen to David Gray or Damien Rice music Music sometimes to chill out, however I have got into relaxing nature videos with just sounds and no words. Sakura is great!

• Advertisement

uiolfg wrote: »
    I listen to the sounds of ice on youtube

This is really interesting. I didn't even know this was a thing on Youtube! I will have to check it out.

Zakir Hussain & Rakesh Chaurasia are Indian musicians and play some lovely pieces which I have on a playlist, really helps me switch off. I took up meditation a few years and like to play this afterwards or when I need relax.

I am a big fan of meditation videos

some obvious ones like 'music for airports' spring to mind.

this is one of my all time favourite tracks:

This is great

I really like this Meditation video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyzYRF2RPwk

However this channel also does relaxing music and sounds of nature, if meditation isn't your thing. It is only a new channel, but it works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The KLF - Chill Out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Rotting Carrot

Some Peter Kater stuff can be nice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7tVbGnKErE

You know the way it is with classical music. Most of it "just sounds like classical music"! And every now and then you come across something really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Check out a guy that goes by Worried About Satan.

I listen to his stuff while reading and also when I want to relax and/or go to sleep.

An 80s John Carpenter soundtrack vibe off him.

https://worriedaboutsatan.bandcamp.com/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

may not be to your taste, but alessandro cortini has some really good stuff. he's the keyboard player for nine inch nails, but his sound could often be described like a slightly scuzzy eno sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Plenty James Last that would fit the bill.

The Paintings LP from 1979 is lovely. There was a serious budget for the orchestras and it showed. He also has a surprising number of funky tunes with breaks - probably for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

Sigur Rós

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

may not be to your taste, but alessandro cortini has some really good stuff. he's the keyboard player for nine inch nails, but his sound could often be described like a slightly scuzzy eno sound.

Cool. Never heard that before but now I want to listen to The Downward Spiral which is not cool before going to bed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Very rare that I can sit still long enough to completely switch off & enjoy this gem from 1985. It's been a while and I might give it a go tomorrow.

Advertisement