Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France vs Wales match thread, Sat 20th March 8pm

11112131517

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony


    eigrod wrote: »
    The last Welsh try was clearly held up. No way Pearce should have called it a try on-field - there was far too much doubt as the replays confirmed.

    France got no warning for their first yellow - the Welsh got away with several yellows.

    there was hand underneath the ball but it looked like at least some part of the ball was touching grass


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Gave a Wales try that doesn't appear to have been grounded and wouldn't look at a French try that might have been? Maybe, maybe could have binned another Wales player? These are decisions that change the results of games.

    I thought they did very well bar the Welsh try which looked held up, I don’t think Barnes really wanted to award that one but he couldn’t find the perfect angle to conclusively show it wasn’t grounded.

    The french try that could have been looked a double movement and as for the yellows, yeah there could have been another but it if some of the posters here had their way there would have been about 5 Welsh players left on the field.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom


    John Inverdale " Grand Larceny". What nonsense!


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer


    typhoony wrote: »
    there was hand underneath the ball but it looked like at least some part of the ball was touching grass

    It did but the question from Pearce was wrong. He felt he saw it in real time but you could sense his discomfort on replay and Barnes clearly had to clarify the question asked i.e. is there a reason the try cannot be awarded because Pearce has seen a grounding.

    If Pearce had asked "Try, yes or no?", then I've little doubt Barnes would have said no. It wasn't possible to definitively say if the ball touched grass.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff


    With what O'gara is saying the French need to have a look at clashes to the head and eye contact in there league


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cheesey Cheese Hood Cheese


    Delighted with that. Wales are a cynical dirty team and France deserved it anyway.

    A cynical dirty team? I was happy to see France win, but you really are a poor, poor poster no matter which forum you post in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus


    CMA_DE wrote: »
    I thought they did very well bar the Welsh try which looked held up, I don’t think Barnes really wanted to award that one but he couldn’t find the perfect angle to conclusively show it wasn’t grounded.

    The french try that could have been looked a double movement and as for the yellows, yeah there could have been another but it if some of the posters here had their way there would have been about 5 Welsh players left on the field.

    I thought reffing was grand generally - even very good at times - but that was ludicrous.

    Held up all day long.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover


    A cynical dirty team? You rally are a poor, poor poster no matter which forum you post in.

    Dirty no, cynical yes


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt


    Just sitting here, basking in the glory that is realising that Liam Williams had a massive hand in throwing away a potential Grand Slam.

    “Are we not playing rugby?” Or whatever he said after his red for the high tackle earlier this season. Not when you’re sitting on the side of the pitch in Paris for the last 10 mins of the biggest game of the season.
    Play shît games, win shít prizes.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cheesey Cheese Hood Cheese


    Strumms wrote: »
    Nahhh fück him... the fact he gives so much shît to referees about every second decision that goes against his team which is clearly an attempt at intimidation

    Christ some of you people wouldn't know a rugby ball if it bounced off your head.

    Conversing to the referee and trying to state your case is "intimidation now? lol

    It's called being a captain?


  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 25,611 ✭✭✭✭[Deleted User]


    The result cannot colour over the mind-numbing stupidity of Ollivon taking a scrum in front of the posts. 3 minutes were wasted. It was insane.
    Decision making even at the top level of Rugby is incredibly poor a lot of the time. Kinda classic example is being 8 points behind with maybe 6 minutes left. Teams will use up loads of time with scrums trying to get the try and leave themselves needing a kick. Far better off taking 3 at the first opportunity then having basically infinite time to score a try.
    eigrod wrote: »
    The last Welsh try was clearly held up. No way Pearce should have called it a try on-field - there was far too much doubt as the replays confirmed.
    It makes no sense to me how a referee can say Try but also ask about 2 knock-ons and the grounding. If he doesn't think he's seen anything to say No Try then it has to be Try/No Try.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian


    Buer wrote: »
    It did but the question from Pearce was wrong. He felt he saw it in real time but you could sense his discomfort on replay and Barnes clearly had to clarify the question asked i.e. is there a reason the try cannot be awarded because Pearce has seen a grounding.

    If Pearce had asked "Try, yes or no?", then I've little doubt Barnes would have said no. It wasn't possible to definitively say if the ball touched grass.

    More than likely it was a try though.

    He should have taken a look when the French players asked about the one near the end. He just dismissed them.
    Apart from that he was very good and dealt with a huge amount of major decisions correctly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi


    Some absolute headcase just asked Alun Wyn Jones

    "When you're playing for all those people at home, how bad do you feel now?"

    Fucking hell like.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭Augme


    Looking back at the French yellow it really should have been a penalty try as well. Wales were 2 metres out and going like a steam train to the line before the French player just jumped in and tackled him.

    I do think I'd like to see Wales win the Championship, but not a Grand Slam. They have had their luck, but that's isn't their fault either. They have been the most consistent team in the Championship and have played to a good standard throughout. I think AWJ deserves it too. Can't fault France's flair but their naivety at times is fairly ridiculous.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Wearing of The Green


    Strumms wrote: »
    Nahhh fück him... the fact he gives so much shît to referees about every second decision that goes against his team which is clearly an attempt at intimidation and to influence their performance ... nahhh

    It’s kinda funny watching O’Gara squeezed into the corner of his box room in his best suit and a pound of foundation.

    That's what a good captain does on the field. McCaw, Johnson etc.

    Alun Wyn has a great rep off it.

    I wanted the Welsh to win as it put us in with a great chance of coming second. Would have been a boost to our camp. I've no interest in a young France becoming a superpower and thrashing us in Paris every second year. I do love their style and grew up watching, Blanco, Sella et al. But defeats like 1986 were soul destroying for us.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache


    Teferi wrote: »
    Some absolute headcase just asked Alun Wyn Jones

    "When you're playing for all those people at home, how bad do you feel now?"

    Fucking hell like.

    It was a stupid question alright, and he repeated it when Jones didn't hear first time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bluwave


    It’s still a Mystery to me how that Welsh team were contenders for a grand slam tonight and could still win a championship.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom


    I love soccer but no game on earth comes close to the intensity of rugby matches like that one.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Wearing of The Green


    Bluwave wrote: »
    It’s still a Mystery to me how that Welsh team were contenders for a grand slam tonight and could still win a championship.

    There's no great mystery. They rode their luck. They also have a habit of hanging in there in games, lots of experienced heads.

    Then talent, Zammit Jones, Liam Williams, Tupric, Falteau and such an experienced captain.

    People forget we beat Wales with an intercept in 2018, and a drop goal that was miraculous against France.

    Also England have been well below par. Scotland are what they've been since 1999, we started low on confidence.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,794 ✭✭✭✭Strumms


    Christ some of you people wouldn't know a rugby ball if it bounced off your head.

    Conversing to the referee and trying to state your case is "intimidation now? lol

    It's called being a captain?

    No it’s called trying to influence and sway his decision making. It’s clear what he is attempting to do..

    And it’s conversing ‘with a referee’. So I’d worry about your own head before considering anybody else’s.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns


    Wales are either heros or zeros. If POM didn't have his moment of madness we would have beaten them quite easy actually and most likely Scotland would have beaten them too and they would be heading to Italy in crisis but instead they got a bit of luck and took full advantage.

    Still an average team though where they have no certs to make a lions 15


  • Administrators Posts: 53,336 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec


    I feel sorry for the Welsh, to see it slip away so late in the game. Wait.... nah!

    Allez les bleus!


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,794 ✭✭✭✭Strumms


    That's what a good captain does on the field. McCaw, Johnson etc.

    Alun Wyn has a great rep off it.

    I wanted the Welsh to win as it put us in with a great chance of coming second. Would have been a boost to our camp. I've no interest in a young France becoming a superpower and thrashing us in Paris every second year. I do love their style and grew up watching, Blanco, Sella et al. But defeats like 1986 were soul destroying for us.

    I see where you are coming from but it’s gets to a point where regardless of who we are up for it’s just a ball ache, he is at the same craic against every team...

    France will become a superpower regardless of what we think.. onus is on us to be as good as we can be..


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup


    delighted france won makes friday night extra spicy

    but Wales should have took the last kick off long and pinned france in their own 22


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt


    fryup wrote: »
    delighted france won makes friday night extra spicy

    but Wales should have took the last kick off long and pinned france in their own 22

    That’s what they did? France ran it back from pretty much their own 5m line. Then knocked it on at halfway.

    Wales then sealed off, when every French player was shouting for it and stated hanging out of rucks.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Wearing of The Green


    Strumms wrote: »
    I see where you are coming from but it’s gets to a point where regardless of who we are up for it’s just a ball ache, he is at the same craic against every team...

    France will become a superpower regardless of what we think.. onus is on us to be as good as we can be..

    It's well analysed behind the scenes. If it was no benefit to the team he'd soon stop. He's a controlled, intelligent bloke. Like McCaw.

    Our captain would be more emotional I think.


  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭castor 1


    kilns wrote: »
    Wales are either heros or zeros. If POM didn't have his moment of madness we would have beaten them quite easy actually and most likely Scotland would have beaten them too and they would be heading to Italy in crisis but instead they got a bit of luck and took full advantage.

    Still an average team though where they have no certs to make a lions 15

    With Gatland in charge of the Lions, he will be bringing most of the Welsh team !


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff


    Strumms wrote: »
    No it’s called trying to influence and sway his decision making. It’s clear what he is attempting to do..

    And it’s conversing ‘with a referee’. So I’d worry about your own head before considering anybody else’s.

    Is that not what a captain meant to do


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff


    castor 1 wrote: »
    With Gatland in charge of the Lions, he will be bringing most of the Welsh team !

    What teams should he pick the most from


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses


    There's no great mystery. They rode their luck. They also have a habit of hanging in there in games, lots of experienced heads.

    Then talent, Zammit Jones, Liam Williams, Tupric, Falteau and such an experienced captain.

    People forget we beat Wales with an intercept in 2018, and a drop goal that was miraculous against France.

    Also England have been well below par. Scotland are what they've been since 1999, we started low on confidence.

    Ireland beat Wales by 10 points in 2018 and an intercept isnt a lucky thing. The France game im France was a great game between two solid teams that didn't involve any luck at all, so weird take all round.


Advertisement