Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France vs Wales match thread, Sat 20th March 8pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

"Luke Pearse was great at slowing the game down", errmm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It didn't Wales with 2 yellows
    Erm, this is awkward, but the ref was playing for Wales...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

clsmooth wrote: »
    Wales will rue Liam Williams’ stupid yellow. On one hand you have to feel for Wales but on the other they got every conceivable piece of luck and were extremely cynical in the last 10 mins and even with 2 yellows they got away lightly.

Surprised ‘Barnesy’ wasn’t called on to check that last pass :eek:

Because refs are not on Wales payroll no matter what people believe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Happy Wales didn't win a GS...BUT...I do feel bad for Alun Wyn Jones.

Great ending. A crazy last 15 minutes or so

• Registered Users Posts: 16,613 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Thought Pearce and Barnes were mostly excellent with their officiating. Not a problem with the sending off as it was a neck roll and eye gouge. Maybe could have binned another Welsh player near the end but apart from that they got the big calls correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭typhoony

Williams could have gone earlier because he was lying all over rucks before the French Red. He is a great player but also a brain injury at times. Had the Welsh held their discipline, who knows where that all ends up

He's got away with so many indiscetions throughout his career i'm glad that finally one of them cost his team a grandslam and possibly the championship, I remember at a Connacht game he dropped the shoulder on one of our players on the ground, i was stood 20 metres away and it was a dirty cheap shot when the play was over, i never liked him since

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

To be fair you can't blame Wales for playing the ref.
    The only way this stops is if the refs penalize them, its like slow play in golf, verbal warnings are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Man, that must be gutting for the Welsh fans. I mean, we've had disappointments, that France score against Scotland in 2007, NZ 2013, but I think losing the game like that with a slam on the line would be orders of magnitude worse. Genuine sympathy there.

Fair play to France though, to stick in it like that after the red card and the frustration in having a score knocked off when potentially Wales could have seen yellow, great work from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

What an amazing ending!

Now next question can France get a BP and beat Scotland by 21 points next week?

Still seems a hard task no?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

GreeBo wrote: »
    Erm, this is awkward, but the ref was playing for Wales...

Ì know lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭tanko

That missed conversion could be crucial, if I'm not mistaken. France have to beat Scotland by more than 20 points (with a bonus point) to win the championship. Had that gone over, a win by more than 16 would have sufficed.

If France win with a bonus point i don't think points difference comes into it, does the head to head result tonight decide it in France's favour then??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The result cannot colour over the mind-numbing stupidity of Ollivon taking a scrum in front of the posts. 3 minutes were wasted. It was insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Clegg wrote: »
    Thought Pearce and Barnes were mostly excellent with their officiating. Not a problem with the sending off as it was a neck roll and eye gouge. Maybe could have binned another Welsh player near the end but apart from that they got the big calls correct.

Only issues I’d really have was the on field decision for Wales’ try which looked held up, and the decision not to check the try France scored that was never checked. Thought the rest was dealt with extremely well. Communication was absolutely excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wales were awarded a try that wasn’t (wasn’t grounded) so......

Allez les bleus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

What an amazing ending!

Now next question can France get a BP and beat Scotland by 21 points next week?

Still seems a hard task no?

Scotland are flaky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

The last Welsh try was clearly held up. No way Pearce should have called it a try on-field - there was far too much doubt as the replays confirmed.

France got no warning for their first yellow - the Welsh got away with several yellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Gave a Wales try that doesn't appear to have been grounded and wouldn't look at a French try that might have been? Maybe, maybe could have binned another Wales player? These are decisions that change the results of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

This is Gas. On Virgin they are debating the reffing decisions and questioning the quality of the TMO calls. Over on the BBC it was the greatest example of reffing and TMO working together in the history of sport..

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

clsmooth wrote: »
    On one hand you have to feel for Wales

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Man, that must be gutting for the Welsh fans. I mean, we've had disappointments, that France score against Scotland in 2007, NZ 2013, but I think losing the game like that with a slam on the line would be orders of magnitude worse. Genuine sympathy there.

Fair play to France though, to stick in it like that after the red card and the frustration in having a score knocked off when potentially Wales could have seen yellow, great work from them.

Once they settle down it will probably balance out vs the ridiculous good luck they’ve had since week 1. Ignoring the red cards as that’s on other teams, they had a sliced kick, a ref allowing a quick kick, a knock on try, try held up given, try scored against them missed. Never seen anything like it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Wearing of The Green

Incorrect.

When it comes to an individual's feelings there's no correct or incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Delighted with that result. Wales deserved it for being so cynical in the last 20 minutes. Hopefully France go on and finish the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Shame for the Welsh to get so close and lose it with the last play. Shades of Jack McGrath getting pinged by Nigel Owens in 2013. Also a shame they didn’t back our bid for the 2023 World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

touts wrote: »
    This is Gas. On Virgin they are debating the reffing decisions and questioning the quality of the TMO calls. Over on the BBC it was the greatest example of reffing and TMO working together in the history of sport..

interesting what sam warburton was saying about reffing the breakdowns watching a minimum of 6 players 200 times a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

touts wrote: »

Warburton is calling it very fair, Inverdale is trying to set up a “we wuz robbed” story but they’re all shooting it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,613 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Only issues I’d really have was the on field decision for Wales’ try which looked held up, and the decision not to check the try France scored that was never checked. Thought the rest was dealt with extremely well. Communication was absolutely excellent.

Yeah I agree. It's a very hard game to officiate and they won't catch everything. But they were clear in expressing their reasoning for their decisions and explaining that to the players.

Can't ask for much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Funnily enough now that I've calmed down a bit I have to agree! They got the decisions mostly right. The Adams try looked to be held up. On field decisions was incorrect and it would have taken big stones by Barnsey to overrule it (correctly). Willemse deserved the red. And Wales should have been shown 1 more YC near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

bilston wrote: »
    Happy Wales didn't win a GS...BUT...I do feel bad for Alun Wyn Jones.

Great ending. A crazy last 15 minutes or so

Nahhh fück him... the fact he gives so much shît to referees about every second decision that goes against his team which is clearly an attempt at intimidation and to influence their performance ... nahhh

It’s kinda funny watching O’Gara squeezed into the corner of his box room in his best suit and a pound of foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

tanko wrote: »
    If France win with a bonus point i don't think points difference comes into it, does the head to head result tonight decide it in France's favour then??
    Head to head doesn't come into it as far as I know. It's points difference first, then tries scored. I think if France score 5 tries on Friday and beat Scotland by exactly 20 points, the championship is shared.

Advertisement