Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW i4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,239 ✭✭✭✭fits

Casati wrote: »
    like between Mitchelstown and Mallow if any knows it.

Yeah. I always get stuck behind trucks on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

sk8board wrote: »
    it’s almost impossible to discern the difference between 3.9s 0-100 and 4.3s

Big difference between 3s and 4s though.
    Performance for me is the ability to handle well on challenging Irish roads, like between Mitchelstown and Mallow if any knows it. I can see the Beemer being the better steer here.

Only a spirited test drive of both will tell I suppose. But I think it is fair to assume you have not driven a Model 3 P over some mountain roads in track mode. I have and I was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

unkel wrote: »

Only a spirited test drive of both will tell I suppose. But I think it is fair to assume you have not driven a Model 3 P over some mountain roads in track mode. I have and I was very impressed.

I haven’t and will never likely get a chance to due to the lack of Tesla dealer network. When the i4 comes along I’ve a dealer within 30 mins - as I guess do most people. Tesla’s direct sales model is a major disadvantage

Can't disagree with anything there. I guess half of Ireland's population live in the greater Dublin (commuting) area, but if you're in the other half, the dealer location is a problem. Tesla is only small in terms of number of cars sold and even if they grow much bigger, they will never have the same number of dealers as say BMW

Can't disagree with anything there. I guess half of Ireland's population live in the greater Dublin (commuting) area, but if you're in the other half, the dealer location is a problem. Tesla is only small in terms of number of cars sold and even if they grow much bigger, they will never have the same number of dealers as say BMW

Even if your within the greater Dublin area that doesn’t mean you are happy to head out to traffic hell that is Sandyford Industrial Estate - hence why all of all Tesla’s competitors have multiple dealers in the same region.

Not having full service dealer who will retail your trade in and compete against other dealers is another big issue

Tesla sales targets are globally to ship 20m cars a year by 2030. I think BMW do just over 2m a year currently

• Advertisement

Even if your within the greater Dublin area that doesn’t mean you are happy to head out to traffic hell that is Sandyford Industrial Estate

Traffic hell Sandyford Industrial estate has not been seen since pre-COVID times. I get there from my home in Lucan in about 15 minutes typically (25km)

Also surprisingly many repairs can be done by a Tesla ranger coming to you in your home or your place of work
    Not having full service dealer who will retail your trade in

Yeah that's an issue alright. But more of an issue for people to adjust, rather than an issue with the sales model that Tesla is using. I guess times are changing and Tesla is only the first to be like this, all or most others will follow soon enough. No longer any negotiations about the price of the car is the first step. On line sales. No interest in taking trade-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

I guess times are changing and Tesla is only the first to be like this, all or most others will follow soon enough. No longer any negotiations about the price of the car is the first step. On line sales. No interest in taking trade-ins.

I hope that’s never the case. It’s most off putting thing about Tesla IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Whereas I’d just prefer a price than the BS rigmarole that comes with buying cars.

AMGer wrote: »
    I hope that’s never the case. It’s most off putting thing about Tesla IMO.

I remember about 20 years ago Opel tried that game and later on I think Fiat went with it. Didn’t work out for either of them. Tesla buyers are different breed mind you

I remember about 20 years ago Opel tried that game and later on I think Fiat went with it. Didn’t work out for either of them.

You mean the FIAT open plan pricing from the mid 90s? It worked great for them, they sold loads and loads of Puntos and Cinqucentos that way (as the open plan price made them look super cheap)

Not sure why they gave that up mind :p

I prefer the old way of buying as I am a strong negotiator. But I can see more and more companies moving to the online buying model. Sure it would make cars a lot cheaper. What's the point of having a useless car sales person? When I buy a car I know more about them than they do. They don't add value for me (I don't take finance)

• Advertisement

You mean the FIAT open plan pricing from the mid 90s? It worked great for them, they sold loads and loads of Puntos and Cinqucentos that way (as the open plan price made them look super cheap)

Not sure why they gave that up mind :p

I prefer the old way of buying as I am a strong negotiator. But I can see more and more companies moving to the online buying model. Sure it would make cars a lot cheaper. What's the point of having a useless car sales person? When I buy a car I know more about them than they do. They don't add value for me (I don't take finance)

Tesla model might work for those with no trade in, buying without finance and like you only 15mins (at a 100kmph avg???) from the sales office, but with most cars sold new via PCP and people often trading a two/ three year old car it’s a flawed model and I can’t see it working long term if Tesla are to be a mass market high volume car manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭sk8board

Tesla model might work for those with no trade in, buying without finance and like you only 15mins (at a 100kmph avg???) from the sales office, but with most cars sold new via PCP and people often trading a two/ three year old car it’s a flawed model and I can’t see it working long term if Tesla are to be a mass market high volume car manufacturer

I would agree - much of the Tesla sales volume to date have been people who have bought-in to the Tesla/Musk story - which is a compelling one in fairness.
    they’ve saved/waited for a few years, sold their old car, all to have ‘a Tesla’.

From now onwards however, Tesla are relying on the mass market new car buyer. they are a completely different beast, and at the very least they’ll shop the market.
    I wonder how many 3 year old tiguans and golfs are being traded against ID3’s and 4’s, and on 0% pcp on some of them too.
    However, Tesla don’t ever plan to be that type of garage, so it’s hard to see where the sales volumes will come from once people start trading in their 3 year old Tesla, A6, or 5-series and their options in the EV market are much much wider.
    (not to mention how hard it is to sell a €25-40k car privately).

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Made a few enquiries about the i4, first deliveries not expected until next March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

That really looks like the replacement for my G20 330e in a few years !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭carsfan2

i4 up on the Irish BMW configurator.

The M50 model at 78k seems well equipped for a BMW.

the cheaper version starts at about 64k

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

I dunno - it seems to me that Tesla official figures are usually bullcrap. Leaving out the first few yards and all that jazz on the quarter mile times etc. Plus I've driven a Model 3 performance. Had about 86% charge in it and we did a 0-60 test. A few of them actually! All of them close to 4 seconds. Nice dry warm day, so nothing negative against it.

Also the official figures of the Model S cheetah stance look like it'll be way faster than a Taycan S. In reality, the Taycan S not only matches it off the line, but gets ahead almost instantly and beats it to quarter mile too.

There's a lot to be impressed with in Tesla cars, but Musk spouts a lot of crap.

Put my order in for one last week

Some truths in what you are saying and the Tesla 0-60 official times use rollout. Which is a load of bull if you ask me, that shouldn't be allowed. But the newest version of the Model S released this year (plaid) has indeed been clocked by Motortrend magazine as doing 0-60 (from standstill) in 1.98s, that's quicker than any other production car ever made (and quicker than the 1.99s that Musk / Tesla promised), although that was tested on drag strip asphalt which has better traction than the public road would have

Not sure why your results in the Model 3 performance were so slow. Several people have tested them and published the results, which were very close to the paper specs iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

Yeah, the Plaid is a fast car, and if I had the money, I'd likely buy one - but that steering "yoke" is an insult to intelligence. I'd like a Model 3 also, but not sure the Performance model is worth 10k over the LR.

I'd be interested to drive this i4, because to be fair - the 3-series really is a gem to drive. And at least with the i4, you won't have to throw your money at injectors and coil packs for the 6-cylinder petrol!

• Advertisement

The Performance not worth €10k over the LR? Worth every penny in my book. A total bargain. A BMW M3 is €80k more than a 330i 🤣

Obviously if you never want to drive like a lunatic / on a race course, you don't need an M BMW car or a P Tesla car...

Isnt the LR faster in the end? There’s a Carwow video racing them both, Performance wins the 1/4 mile but rolling start from 50 & 70 the LR beats the performance. M3/330i is like comparing apples & oranges, two different machines, unlike the Tesla.

Model 3 P is a very different machine. I guess you haven't driven one in anger in track mode? It beats a BMW M3 around a track. The extra €10k is a steal. There are only a handful of good value for money EVs at the moment imho, MINI, BMW i3, VW ID.4 base model and siblings and the Tesla Model 3 P. That's about it in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

I wonder will they do an “i2” of the forthcoming 2 coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

A quick config of the M50 seems to suggest much better value for money in comparison to the Audi etron GT.

Roughly 85k vs 110k. I’d prefer the look of the etron gt personally.

etron gt is just priced beyond the means of most people where as the i4 while far from cheap, will definitely have a wider market of potential purchasers I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I just did the config for a i4 40 in Portimao blue MSport. Comes in at around €71k .. really sweet price point when you think of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Fair play to you to order eight unseen.

Are dealers able to order at this stage considering it’s so far away?

did you agree a price for next March ?

I specced a 40 model to early 70’s which makes the 50model seem attractive for not much more as it seems to come with a lot more kit as standard. From what I can see metallic, leather, memory seats, Harman kardon, head up display are all standard on the 50 model but extra on the 40

Was able to spec it up two weeks ago with the dealer, they had all the options pricing etc. to hand. Not sure how the ordering on their end works but I guess they’re able to ‘book a production slot’ as it were. You know what you’re getting with BMW so didn’t need to see it in the flesh to be convinced. Standard kit is pretty good on the M50 alright.

Post edited by UhOh on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Interesting how BMW and Audi are taking a conservative approach to their electric offerings. I had to check recently the rear badge to confirm an Audi e-trim GT.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Advertisement