Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investing in Ireland? Is there any point?

• 15-03-2021 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Is there any point in investing outside of a pension?
    Paying 33% on any profits after the allowance?
    And all the hassle around etfs and PRIIPs?
    Is it possible to rollover any losses, or is a case of lose you lose, win they take a chunk?
    Just find it all very disheartening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Is there any point in investing outside of a pension?
    Paying 33% on any profits after the allowance?
    And all the hassle around etfs and PRIIPs?
    Is it possible to rollover any losses, or is a case of lose you lose, win they take a chunk?
    Just find it all very disheartening.

You can carry over losses towards future gains. You need to declare the loss though. I'm very new to investing so it will be this year that I have to get my head around the CGT system for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

cronos wrote: »
    You can carry over losses towards future gains...

If you hold the stock for 4 weeks minimum.

They don't like wealth creation in this country, just an overheated property market and a frontloaded pension scheme they can tax out of existence during the next recession @Jambonjunior.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Is trading options viewed the same as trading stocks?

Is trading options viewed the same as trading stocks?

From a Tax perspective? Yep

CFDs are considering gambling though if you're looking for a 'tax free' approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

pioneerpro wrote: »
    From a Tax perspective? Yep

CFDs are considering gambling though if you're looking for a 'tax free' approach.

No they are not. Only spreadbetting is considered tax free (ie you can't offset your losses against gains etc)

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    No they are not. Only spreadbetting is considered tax free (ie you can't offset your losses against gains etc)

Sorry, I literally thought I'd that posted as part of that comment :confused:

You're right of course, I clearly need coffee this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Spread betting is gambling from revenue perspective which is actually true in most cases. Noobies are lured for tax free income but most will eventually loose it to hedge funds.

Investing in stocks in Ireland comes after maximising pension and paying your mortgage. Investing in property made sense with tracker mortgages but not so much with BTL rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The 33% CGT is fairly steep alright but its still better than leaving all your money in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

In this market yes it's still worth it.

Advertisement