Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online Religious Services/Masses

• 12-03-2021 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Now that we've been experiencing these over the last year I have questions in my mind. I'm wondering if I'll be happy to sit in a crowded church or anywhere else again, even after lockdown, particularly as some people will refuse to have the vaccine. I'm decidedly nervous about it really. Also I wonder what has been your habit, have you stuck with the church you know or have you church-hopped online. I've hopped about a bit and I have to say I've found some wonderful preachers, but also one or two just awful ones and I'm glad to have the opportunity at least of experiencing what other congregations are blessed with, and what some are lumbered with. Its just my own opinion of course.

Comments

Once you get the vaccine I wouldn't worry about what others do too much.

As a Catholic it is incredibly important to understand that watching Mass online is not the same as attending Mass in a spiritual sense. Watching online is not a substitute, it is fundamentally different, even aside from the fact that obviously you have to be there in person to receive the Eucharist. When you are there you are part of it, when you are not you are just watching. I have not watched it online too much because of this, and sitting on my couch watching I found myself slipping and thinking of looking for another Mass with a nicer church or a more dynamic Priest, this demonstrated that my priorities and attention were misplaced. Instead, personal prayer, in the Church if I can (rarely) is far better for me.

As a Catholic, the preaching or the homily of the Priest is very much secondary and not that important, it is the sacrifice of the Mass which is central, the Priest being entertaining or boring has zero impact on this. (Although a great preacher is a wonderful bonus, don't get me wrong). Generally Catholics should avoid "parish hopping" (there are exceptions, if prompted by serious liturgical concerns for example) and this is doubly the case "online" as it further denigrates the Mass as being some sort of show, I have seen some horrible comments giving out about priests, sometimes elderly, not being entertaining enough.

I can't wait until I can go Mass, I will appreciate it all the more. I think many are the same, but parishes will have to have clear "re-engagement" plans to get people to return, but I think most will come back, and appreciate it all the more. Those who don't return clearly were only attending out of habit and did not have any depth to their faith, which is very sad and perhaps evangelical outreach can target this general cohort of people.

A protestant might comment if watching services on a screen vs being there has any spiritual differences in their denomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

ex loco refugii I definitely agree with you, online is not the same as being there. I say that as a member of the CoI. Worship in church with other Christians is vital to focusing on the spiritual centre of the service, and taking away the message that has been delivered and living our lives in service to Christ. However, I can't agree with you that the preaching is secondary. After all surely to preach and teach is what the minister/priest has been 'called' to do, and then 'trained' to do. Or are they trained? I wonder. Church-hopping has helped me immensely to get through during this lockdown, and I find myself going back to the same new favourites that I have 'met' online and dropping more familiar territory which is disappointing. Perhaps I'm the only one who feels like this.

ex loco refugii I definitely agree with you, online is not the same as being there. I say that as a member of the CoI. Worship in church with other Christians is vital to focusing on the spiritual centre of the service, and taking away the message that has been delivered and living our lives in service to Christ. However, I can't agree with you that the preaching is secondary. After all surely to preach and teach is what the minister/priest has been 'called' to do, and then 'trained' to do. Or are they trained? I wonder. Church-hopping has helped me immensely to get through during this lockdown, and I find myself going back to the same new favourites that I have 'met' online and dropping more familiar territory which is disappointing. Perhaps I'm the only one who feels like this.
    Preaching may certainly be the main thing from a protestant perspective, I can understand that. Much different from a catholic perspective though as there are fundamental differences between the Catholic Mass and Protestant Services.

I would say to make sure you go back to somewhere in person, you might find that your regular service is more engaging in person. Nothing wrong with going local in person and keeping an eye on your new favorites online too! Doesn't have to be either or, you could make it a point to watch some of your new favorites throughout the week before going somewhere in person on the Sunday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Watching Mass Online/TV,fulfils the inherent obligation to attend. However, a secondary part of a religious service is to strengthen the bonds that is inherent in building a Christian community. This can best be achieved in the live presence of the ceremony and it is something I'm looking forward to post lockdown.

.....I would say to make sure you go back to somewhere in person, you might find that your regular service is more engaging in person. Nothing wrong with going local in person and keeping an eye on your new favorites online too! Doesn't have to be either or, you could make it a point to watch some of your new favorites throughout the week before going somewhere in person on the Sunday.

Good point. I'll keep it in mind.

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    Watching Mass Online/TV,fulfils the inherent obligation to attend. However, a secondary part of a religious service is to strengthen the bonds that is inherent in building a Christian community. This can best be achieved in the live presence of the ceremony and it is something I'm looking forward to post lockdown.

We started attending a church here a little over twelve months, and whilst we have spoken to people virtually every week, we still feel disconnected from the church. I'm in little doubt that this disconnection would not exist if we were able to meet in-person.
    Once you get the vaccine I wouldn't worry about what others do too much.

Why are the elders, hierarchy, not sure what the correct term is for the RCC, not taking up the issue with your politicians? The vast majority of the country are RCC. Some of the other Christian churches have raised the issue. If the RCC joined forces with them, the politicians would have to take notice. A neighbour of mine, who is RCC, believes that some people are using the pandemic to further their anti-Christian, and anti-RCC, agenda. Is their any truth in that?

tara2k wrote: »
    I've an issue with waiting. Schools are open now. Why can't churches re-open? Why are the elders, hierarchy, not sure what the correct term is for the RCC, not taking up the issue with your politicians? The vast majority of the country are RCC. Some of the other Christian churches have raised the issue. If the RCC joined forces with them, the politicians would have to take notice. A neighbour of mine, who is RCC, believes that some people are using the pandemic to further their anti-Christian, and anti-RCC, agenda. Is their any truth in that?
    The Bishops etc. are lobbying for public worship to be allowed.

In my opinion, certain people have taken delight in categorizing religious worship as a non essential, disposable luxury to be ranked behind skulling pints in beer gardens in terms of necessity and importance.

I do not think that there was a deliberate decision necessarily to attack religion, or that it was a priority to do so, but rather it is just, for some, a happy coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod This thread is drifting away from discussion on Online Religious Services/Masses into the area of Political/Covid regulations. Could it get back on topic please.

tara2k wrote: »
    .....A neighbour of mine, who is RCC, believes that some people are using the pandemic to further their anti-Christian, and anti-RCC, agenda. Is their any truth in that?

Your neighbour is wrong. I would rather stay at home than endanger the health and lives of my church family. That's all I'll say about that.

I am delighted to find a few really good preachers online and when we can attend I will visit their churches but intend returning to my own church eventually. It must have been harrowing for priests/clergy to begin this new journey but they seem to have adjusted quite well and are throwing themselves into now, its just some are more gifted than others at preaching and this is why I originally posted on the subject.

Your neighbour is wrong. I would rather stay at home than endanger the health and lives of my church family. That's all I'll say about that.

I am delighted to find a few really good preachers online and when we can attend I will visit their churches but intend returning to my own church eventually. It must have been harrowing for priests/clergy to begin this new journey but they seem to have adjusted quite well and are throwing themselves into now, its just some are more gifted than others at preaching and this is why I originally posted on the subject.
    Journeying around the country visiting new churches etc. sounds like a nice plan to have to look forward to :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

looksee wrote: »
    Mod This thread is drifting away from discussion on Online Religious Services/Masses into the area of Political/Covid regulations. Could it get back on topic please.

I would note that OP raised how she was nervous that some won't take the jabs.

Anyhow, the priests of Sacred Heart church Limerick, who belong to the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest will be certainly worth visiting for their Mass. They follow the pre-55 Holy Week and moreover will say additional propers, which was unfortunately ended with the rubrics of 1962. People say the Rosary outside during Mass.
    This upset a very strange woman with an English accent, formerly Social Democrats, a Limerick Councillor still.

Monday Low Mass, Feria of Easter, so no homily, but the mainly Francophone priests are fine orators.

Advertisement