Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

€1500 Espresso machine budget

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

donnacha wrote: »
    I'd avoid coffeeitalia. The rocky was my first proper grinder. Never really fell in love with the adjustment options on it.

Now a shameless plug to my ad for a 2nd hand compak k3 touch if that price is your budget range:
    https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/compak-k3-touch-coffee-grinder/22830574

Thanks. I'd be much happier spending that kind of money on a new piece if kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It’s a game changer. I got my Silvia last September and struggled with temp surfing until Christmas when I fitted an Auber PID. Without the PID I found it difficult to pull a consistent shot. With the PID installed the difference is night and day. As the other poster said, the temperature control makes a difference as well, ie, increase the brew temp for lighter beans.
    Same as. Fitted the Auber PID and replaced the eco auto-power off switch, and haven't looked back. I have it plugged into a smart switch and it comes on at 7:30am, and is ready for first coffee at 8am. Stays at 106'C until 2.30pm. I went for the cheaper PID option, so it doesn't control my steam temperature etc.), but I can see exactly what the steam temperature is, so no more waiting around for the thermostat light to turn off - I'm usually steaming after about 30-40 seconds. I bought my Silvia second hand for around €200 and with the addition of the PID I imagine it behaves like a machine costing 2-3x the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Same as. Fitted the Auber PID and replaced the eco auto-power off switch, and haven't looked back. I have it plugged into a smart switch and it comes on at 7:30am, and is ready for first coffee at 8am. Stays at 106'C until 2.30pm. I went for the cheaper PID option, so it doesn't control my steam temperature etc.), but I can see exactly what the steam temperature is, so no more waiting around for the thermostat light to turn off - I'm usually steaming after about 30-40 seconds. I bought my Silvia second hand for around €200 and with the addition of the PID I imagine it behaves like a machine costing 2-3x the cost.

How big a job was it replacing the eco on/off switch?

It was a little trickier than fitting the Auber PID, largely because the instructions are not great and you have to make the cables yourself and do a bit of crimping, but if you can fit the PID, you shouldn't have any problems with replacing the switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Ordered auber pid on sunday night.
    Received it Weds afternoon.
    Installed today.
    Nails the temp alright.

Can I ask what ball park ye setting ye use?

Thanks for the help

• Advertisement

Have mine set to 106'C, which is equivalent to 96'C brew water temperature. Haven't felt the need to tweak it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

I’m the same either 105 or 106. Haven’t tweaked it at all.

Probably a better conversation for the dedicated Rancilio Silvia thread, but when steaming milk, I read a recommendation that you should do your steaming while the machine is still engaged in its steam heating phase. So where I used to wait for the steaming light to turn off, now I flush the steam wand when the temperature is around 130-140'C and start steaming almost immediately afterwards. No more waiting around, which is great and always end up with wonderfully steamed milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Clean out wand tip from time to time.
    Amazing how much milk gets in there and reduces diameter of hole.
    It screws off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Have the Silvia Pro a couple of months now. Fantastic machine. No buyers remorse at all!

It's so good that I just don't bother having coffee when I'm out and about anymore, except when I know I'm in a really good coffee shop. Anything else tastes like crap in comparison to what I can brew at home. I didn't expect such a step up from the Gaggia Classic but I have to say the big outlay was worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

dmigsy wrote: »
    Have the Silvia Pro a couple of months now. Fantastic machine. No buyers remorse at all!

It's so good that I just don't bother having coffee when I'm out and about anymore, except when I know I'm in a really good coffee shop. Anything else tastes like crap in comparison to what I can brew at home. I didn't expect such a step up from the Gaggia Classic but I have to say the big outlay was worth it.

How would that compare to a Sage bean to cup machine, quality wise?

Also wondering how much you'd need to spend on a grinder to complement that Silvia Pro? Ballpark type appropriate grinder.

There's a Sage thread on here and lots of discussion about not getting good coffee, issues with tamping and channelling and all sorts. I'm keen on getting some sort of bean to cup or separate grinder and nice machine, but not sure what direction to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

How would that compare to a Sage bean to cup machine, quality wise?

It is a proper coffee machine , for the starters.
    You couldn't compare it to Sage , really. No coffee snob would buy Sage , unless you are on very tight budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Silvia Pro set up last week and I'm blown away with the quality and consistency of the shots I'm getting. I managed to get a Sette second hand from a work colleague but it doesn't really fit in the coffee nook area so my workflow is a bit haphazard but I'm still really happy. I've never used a Sage machine so I can't comment but I'm more than happy with the Silvia Pro + Sette combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Ended up buying the Lelit Anita above, have it about 3 weeks now and love it. Took a while to arrive from Italy but well worth it. They were great to deal with too.

Hi Folks, unfortunately due to an unforeseen relocation for a new job i will be selling this, PM if interested. Literally a month old!

Advertisement