Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Kia Niro PHEV MY21

  • 08-03-2021 10:38pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭ yannakis


    I'm considering making a move for the MY21 Niro PHEV before the 5k SEAI grant runs out end of March. I've got a phew questions, hoping some of you might know the answers :pac:

    Here, I'll list all the questions I had since the beginning along with the answers I've gathered so far, and further below the ones that are still unanswered.
    • Adaptive cruise control - Yes
    • Paddle "shifters" - Regen levels
    • Headlights LED? - Halogen
    • Auto high beams - Yes
    • Electrically adjustable seats - No
    • Sunroof option - No
    • Option on interior colour - No
    • Wireless phone charger - Yes
    • Heat pump/PTC heater/engine?
    • Remote pre-heating via UVO app?
    • Keyless entry?
    • Wireless Android Auto?

    Cheers guys.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭ graememk


    Well I think the phev uses the ice for heat.

    Also I think the phev grant is in until the end of the year.

    Still wired android auto


  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ mark23


    yannakis wrote: »
    I'm considering making a move for the MY21 Niro PHEV before the 5k SEAI grant runs out end of March. I've got a phew questions, hoping some of you might know the answers :pac:

    Here, I'll list all the questions I had since the beginning along with the answers I've gathered so far, and further below the ones that are still unanswered.
    • Adaptive cruise control - Yes
    • Paddle "shifters" - Regen levels
    • Headlights LED? - Halogen
    • Auto high beams - Yes
    • Electrically adjustable seats - No
    • Sunroof option - No
    • Option on interior colour - No
    • Wireless phone charger - Yes
    • Heat pump/PTC heater/engine?
    • Remote pre-heating via UVO app?
    • Keyless entry?
    • Wireless Android Auto?

    Cheers guys.

    Did you get it?

    The website seems to state electrically adjustable seats but the car I looked at didn't have them. Is there any easy way to differentiate the earlier model with the MY21 from just looking at it?

    Also, the website states lane follow assist? I presume that is correct?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭ yannakis


    I can't edit the first post so let me add the answers to these questions here:
    • Heat pump/PTC heater/engine? - Engine
    • Remote pre-heating via UVO app? - Nope, neither the heated seats/steering wheel.
    • Keyless entry? - Yes
    • Wireless Android Auto? - No
    mark23 wrote: »
    Did you get it?

    The website seems to state electrically adjustable seats but the car I looked at didn't have them. Is there any easy way to differentiate the earlier model with the MY21 from just looking at it?

    Also, the website states lane follow assist? I presume that is correct?

    Yes, I did bite the bullet :) Got a great deal from Kia Dundrum and the car was delivered in less than 3 weeks! Apparently the cars currently being sold are MY20, not MY21 as such.

    The car doesn't come with electrically adjustable seats unfortunately. Also worth noting on the seats topic that there is no tilt adjustment, no lumbar support. But, the headrests move front/back besides the usual up/down.

    The car has both LFA (Lane Following Assist) and LKA (Lane Keeping Assist). There's a beeping warning sound when you cross the line and I'd love to be able to reduce the volume but haven't found a way to do that yet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ mark23


    yannakis wrote: »
    I can't edit the first post so let me add the answers to these questions here:
    • Heat pump/PTC heater/engine? - Engine
    • Remote pre-heating via UVO app? - Nope, neither the heated seats/steering wheel.
    • Keyless entry? - Yes
    • Wireless Android Auto? - No



    Yes, I did bite the bullet :) Got a great deal from Kia Dundrum and the car was delivered in less than 3 weeks! Apparently the cars currently being sold are MY20, not MY21 as such.

    The car doesn't come with electrically adjustable seats unfortunately. Also worth noting on the seats topic that there is no tilt adjustment, no lumbar support. But, the headrests move front/back besides the usual up/down.

    The car has both LFA (Lane Following Assist) and LKA (Lane Keeping Assist). There's a beeping warning sound when you cross the line and I'd love to be able to reduce the volume but haven't found a way to do that yet.

    So what's the deal with MY21 cars? Are they not available yet? Later in the year?

    Are the prices that are quoted online the same for MY20?

    So the LKA doesn't centre the car in the lane? Does it attempt to prevent you crossing the line or just beep?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭ yannakis


    mark23 wrote: »
    So what's the deal with MY21 cars? Are they not available yet? Later in the year?

    Are the prices that are quoted online the same for MY20?

    So the LKA doesn't centre the car in the lane? Does it attempt to prevent you crossing the line or just beep?

    Hold on a second.. The logbook that arrived today has it as NIRO PHEV MY2021 and I was referring to some other documents I saw during the process. There aren't any changes at all between the 20 and the 21 as far as I know.

    I'm really positively impressed with the car. Are you thinking about getting a new one? Not sure what's the story with the 5k SEAI grant at the moment, there was word of that being scraped from 1 Apr.

    Not sure what is the difference between LFA and LKA yet, but in default mode the car keeps you in your lane and if it does cross the line, it will vibrate and beep. I guess the correction would be too aggressive at that stage. It's similar to my older car besides the beeping, I'm just adding extra detail :D


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ Baoithin66


    Hi I am thinking of going from diesel? what mpg do you get? I see one advertised with a 'Trailer Pack'-any idea what that is??


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,865 ✭✭✭✭ Alun


    yannakis wrote: »
    Not sure what is the difference between LFA and LKA yet, but in default mode the car keeps you in your lane and if it does cross the line, it will vibrate and beep. I guess the correction would be too aggressive at that stage. It's similar to my older car besides the beeping, I'm just adding extra detail :D
    LKA is on by default and only gently nudges the steering if you accidentally drift over the white line. LFA is only active when you use the adaptive cruise control and will actively steer the car. It's not quite self driving but is close. You can actually take your hands off the wheel and it will steer itself for a while but then beeps at you to put your hands back on the wheel.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ Cooldrim


    Re the grant, it’s being reduced to €2500 from 1st July 2021 for PHEVs-still €5000 for BEVs. Announced on April fools day!!!
    See https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/9c69a-electric-vehicle-grant-scheme-to-prioritise-fully-electric-cars-as-part-of-drive-to-halve-countrys-carbon-emissions-by-2030/#


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭ yannakis


    Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Hi I am thinking of going from diesel? what mpg do you get? I see one advertised with a 'Trailer Pack'-any idea what that is??

    Can't give you a fair idea yet, still on the first petrol tank :D

    The PHEV as around 135 horses so it will probably be borderline miserable hauling trailers. Haven't heard of the trailer pack before.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭ cee_jay


    I am considering purchasing this car - I am unsure whether to buy new or purchase a 2019 model second hand. I will have never owned a car from new (or even 2 years old).
    Is the advertised price the full price, or are there "delivery and related charges" on top?
    In these Covid times, are test drives still a thing? I see different sites saying nationwide delivery, contact free, but can you actually test drive the car before buying?
    I currently have 2011 Toyota Auris - could I expect pittance for this against a 2019/2021 trade in? Or does it really depend on the dealer?
    TIA!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭ yannakis


    Hiya @cee_jay, I was lucky to have test driven the car during the summer last year (between the lockdowns). Unfortunately test-drives are not allowed at the moment. Now, that said, I know first hand that some used car dealers would let you test-drive..

    I called around, basically I spoke with all Kia dealers inside the "triangle" Drogheda-Kildare-Wicklow. Most were very pleasant to deal with, polite, patient, answering questions, and looking for solutions with the limitations of the pandemic. A couple were unreal.. rude and not bothered someone was interested in shoving 30k+ in their bank account.. :confused::confused:

    Anyway, I went with Kia Dundrum and I'm happy I made this choice :pac: The entire process was done over phone calls/e-mails/whatsapp. Even the valuation of my 2010 Prius was based on photos alone. Around two weeks after I put the deposit down, the person I dealt with all along drove the Niro to my doorstep and drove off in the Prius.

    On top of the list price, you'll have €500 for metallic paint (and all colours are metallic paint), and delivery charge. The latter varies from dealer to dealer and from my research it be anywhere between €500-1,000 but that on it's own doesn't say much. You'll need to add trade-in and discounts in the equation.

    The 2019 model as far as I know has the previous version of the infotainment, analogue gauges and no flappy paddles to adjust the regen levels. I think there might be a few more cosmetic differences in the interior. But engine/battery/electric motor are the same.

    Side note: I tried selling the Prius on my own, but I only got 3.5 ridiculous offers over a period of 3 months so think of that too. You might want to try and put it up on the websites for a couple of months before making a decision. Anyway, all the best, and I'm here if you've got any more questions.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ JPLee


    Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Hi I am thinking of going from diesel? what mpg do you get? I see one advertised with a 'Trailer Pack'-any idea what that is??

    1. Niro has EV and PHEV (HEV+Gasoline).
    If you want a diesel, then C'eed or XCeed can be your choice.

    2. Trailer Pack : When you connect a trailer with your car, you can use the cable from the car. then your trailer's sidelight can be on/off according to your car's one.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ JPLee


    cee_jay wrote: »
    I am considering purchasing this car - I am unsure whether to buy new or purchase a 2019 model second hand. I will have never owned a car from new (or even 2 years old).
    Is the advertised price the full price, or are there "delivery and related charges" on top?
    In these Covid times, are test drives still a thing? I see different sites saying nationwide delivery, contact free, but can you actually test drive the car before buying?
    I currently have 2011 Toyota Auris - could I expect pittance for this against a 2019/2021 trade in? Or does it really depend on the dealer?
    TIA!

    1. Price : You'd better add delivery charge and etc.
    2. Test Drive : You can do a test drive. You can make a call to your nearby dealer directly or you can book it using the website.
    3. Trade-in : It may depend on your car condition and dealer.

    Niro PHEV is really fantastic car. I recommend you do a test drive first.


  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ Stone


    Hi guys,

    I am thinking to get the 2021 Niro PHEV so a quick question: Does it have the possibility to turn off those crazy VESS sounds ?

    Thanks,
    Stone


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,865 ✭✭✭✭ Alun


    You can't turn it off permanently, but there is a button to turn it off every time you start the car. The reversing beep is a bit annoying, but to be honest I've never actually noticed the normal VESS noise. Possibly if I drove with the windows open I might hear it, but it doesn't bother me. It stops above 30km/h anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ Stone


    Alun wrote: »
    You can't turn it off permanently, but there is a button to turn it off every time you start the car. The reversing beep is a bit annoying, but to be honest I've never actually noticed the normal VESS noise. Possibly if I drove with the windows open I might hear it, but it doesn't bother me. It stops above 30km/h anyway.

    Thanks Alun :)
    Just to be sure - this button is also available in the MY21 spec ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,865 ✭✭✭✭ Alun


    Stone wrote: »
    Thanks Alun :)
    Just to be sure - this button is also available in the MY21 spec ?

    I assume so, I didn't think anything significant changed from MY20 to MY21 actually.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭ yannakis


    Stone wrote: »
    Thanks Alun :)
    Just to be sure - this button is also available in the MY21 spec ?

    It is available in the MY21 but as mentioned in a previous post, it turns on every time you turn the car on. Reversing beep is ridiculous - my wife called it the lorry sound in the beginning :rolleyes:

    It's a ritual by now: buckle up, Start button, VESS button :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ Stone


    Thanks guys .... ordered one and will get it next week - looking forward to scoot around in it :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,865 ✭✭✭✭ Alun


    yannakis wrote: »
    It's a ritual by now: buckle up, Start button, VESS button :pac:

    You forgot turn off LKA and turn on Auto Hold :D


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭ yannakis


    Stone wrote: »
    Thanks guys .... ordered one and will get it next week - looking forward to scoot around in it :)

    Awesome, good luck :)

    What colour did you go with?


  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ Stone


    yannakis wrote: »
    Awesome, good luck :)

    What colour did you go with?

    I went for the the Grey color ... dealer only had Grey and Black available unless I wanted to wait 6-7 weeks, which I didn't ....


  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ Stone


    So guys - got it today ... great car tbh :)

    Just one question - Android Auto, I thought in MY21 it was able to connect to Android Auto wirelessly but that seems not to be the case ... is that really true ??


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,865 ✭✭✭✭ Alun


    Only wired I'm afraid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ Stone


    Alun wrote: »
    Only wired I'm afraid.

    Thanks ... t'is sucks, but hey >shrug<


Advertisement