Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lockdown walks ... What do you listen to?

• 07-03-2021 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭

Have been trying to find an option for my lockdown walks, but still struggling to find one which satisfies most of the needs.

I enjoy Absolute radios 70s, 80s and Rock channels but there are too many adverts.

Used to listen to TodayFM app but for some reason some of the channels like XM and 80s stopped working. Tried to reload app but still same.

Enjoy 8radio and also RTE Gold.

Had thought about loading my phone or mp3 player with my own tunes, but I like the idea of hearing songs I haven't in a while, often many many years.

So, what accompanies you on your travels?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It can be anything. The last day it was Blanck Mass and Joy Division, the day before it was Charles Mingus - depends on my mood.

I find spotify's discover weekly to be a good playlist to listen to if you want to hear something new. 30 songs based on what you listen to - I reliably find a couple of new artists thanks to it each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

80's power ballads mainly

get weird looks as i sing to myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

fryup wrote: »
    80's power ballads mainly

How do I geetttt you aloooone :D

^^^^^^^^^^^

that's actually on my playlist and this one

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I like to listen to a lot of Dub reggae. It's great for keeping a mellow pace. I also sometimes just put the whole phone on random. Lots of Hip Hop, Funk, Dub Bass, Drum and Bass and breaks.
    I have a JBL Clip3 that I hang from the strap of my bag back. Don't need to have it too loud for me to enjoy it so it's less of a noise complaint to others. Though tbh I usually walk places where there is fewer people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

How lucky are they to hear us sing for free, in a time when gigs are on hold!

I haven't Spotify, still have an ipod(2005), old and battered, and has survived many a smash.

A lot of 80s classics.
    Sing Hallelujah- Dr Alban.
    Alane- Wes
    Stars on 45

I actually listen to so many genres from the 70s to present day, depending on my mood, but 90s techno is best for me for fast walking.

A lot of 80s classics.
    Sing Hallelujah- Dr Alban.
    Alane- Wes
    Stars on 45

now that's a blast from the past, a mish mash of songs to a disco backbeat iirc

I like to listen to the birds. Where I live, listening to anything else while walking/running is dangerous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

For early morning walks on the beach with the dog, I go for something ambient. Been listening to a lot of David Sylvian recently, his ambient albums more than his "regular" albums (if you could call them that).

I record music so a lot of the time I'm listening to latest mixes to see what I want to change or edit. Takes up the time anyway.

you record music? as in music you play yourself?

• Advertisement

Anything but can find by Gemma Dunleavy. Some voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Have about a dozen Spotify lists of my own I spin through, all sorts of stuff on them.

you record music? as in music you play yourself?

That's right. I'm currently involved in the recording of two albums so am knee deep in mixes! Walking is a great way to listen to stuff that you're working on I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Listening to Grenfell podcasts. Harrowing stuff.

That's right. I'm currently involved in the recording of two albums so am knee deep in mixes! Walking is a great way to listen to stuff that you're working on I find.

well good for you, at least someone being creative out there....is this done on a home PC or are you renting a studio?

well good for you, at least someone being creative out there....is this done on a home PC or are you renting a studio?

Home studio / PC. Recording remotely with others. Modern technology!

and what software are you using and how much does it cost (if you don't mind me asking)

and what software are you using and how much does it cost (if you don't mind me asking)

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

For early morning walks on the beach with the dog, I go for something ambient. Been listening to a lot of David Sylvian recently, his ambient albums more than his "regular" albums (if you could call them that).

I record music so a lot of the time I'm listening to latest mixes to see what I want to change or edit. Takes up the time anyway.

David Sylvian (Batt) has some great solo work - “Gone to earth” stands out for me along with “Secrets of the beehive”

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    David Sylvian (Batt) has some great solo work - “Gone to earth” stands out for me along with “Secrets of the beehive”

I'm diving deep into his earlier work with Japan. Rain Tree Crow too.

• Advertisement

I'm diving deep into his earlier work with Japan. Rain Tree Crow too.

Rain Tree Crow is well worth a listen, have most of their stuff on vinyl [ I mean Japan, Karn, Dalis Car, Sylvian]

Mick Karn [RIP] has some great solo work too - David guests on some of his music for example the song "Bouy" from the album "Dreams of reason create Monsters"

If you like that David then check out Ryuichi Sakamoto of YMO fame - they worked a lot together and it is brilliant and also Sakamotos work - Illustrated Musical Encyclopaedia or Neo Geo are good albums

Saw Sakamoto live in London in late 80's/ early 90's - I was hoping that Sylvian would appear as a guest, he didnt but still a great gig

^ Thanks, will do. I'm loving the albums he made with Holger Czukay; they were repackaged on vinyl recently so they'll be an upcoming purchase.

Will check out Mick Karn, I don't know his stuff, Sakamoto too.

A great morning / chill out / relax your mind album is "Sakura" by Susumu Yokota.

^ Thanks, will do. I'm loving the albums he made with Holger Czukay; they were repackaged on vinyl recently so they'll be an upcoming purchase.

Will check out Mick Karn, I don't know his stuff, Sakamoto too.

A great morning / chill out / relax your mind album is "Sakura" by Susumu Yokota.

I will check out Susumu Yokota thanks for the tip on this artist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Recently on my walks my No1 choice has been "All 80s Jukebox" on the Radio Ireland app.

Some great stuff from my early years (and some muck too).

But thats the perfect type of station, its basically back-to-back music with no chat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 uiolfg

I listen to something like enigma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭dougm1970

elvis :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 uiolfg

dougm1970 wrote: »
    elvis :)
    a good choice:o:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Arghus wrote: »
    I find spotify's discover weekly to be a good playlist to listen to if you want to hear something new.

This. I find I can get into a rut of listening to the same old tunes and find spotify's recommended stuff mixed in with old faves a great way of broadening what I listen to. Some totally random stuff that I would never in a million years pick browsing (Dadi Freyr, Fountains of Wayne, be good Tanyas, Hobo Johnson), that I end up really enjoying.

Advertisement