Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is some peoples health more important than mine?

Options
2»

Comments

Due to covid or with covid?

Edgy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Deaths are reported as from covid only if it is believed to have contributed or likely contributed to the death.

So with covid.

In a normal year, if someone is terminal with xyz and is receiving end of life care and catches influenza, is this recorded as an influenza death? Genuine question. And no i'm not equating the flu and covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Strumms wrote: »
    Since this pandemic started we have experienced 4357 deaths due to covid in the Republic of Ireland.
    Due to covid or with covid?

From mid March 2020 to mid February 2021 the number of people, in Ireland, who died from Covid 19 without any underlying condition was 423.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

Strumms wrote: »
    Since this pandemic started we have experienced 4357 deaths due to covid in the Republic of Ireland.

You can treat mental health issues in the main, remotely... my psychologist girlfriend has been treating people, having consultations with them via zoom and Skype, pretty much the whole industry is following this path...successfully.

A mental health issue is not contagious like covid is... mental health problems while sad and debilitating are not bringing this country to its knees...

My girlfriend is a psychologist, and is also an asthmatic, to the point of taking medication and utilizing a nebulizer yet has had to have it out continuously with a client and the clients partner who are trying to bully her into seeing this client one to one in person... as the client ‘didn’t like‘ remote consultations...

If a traffic light turns red, you don’t like stopping ? Should you just plow through the red light, injuring, making unwell somebody crossing ? on being pulled by the Gardai... “ sorry, I have a mental illness, I can do as I like, irregardless of the consequences for the health and wellbeing of others, thank you”...

If you have a mental illness, you STILL have responsibilities in life, you still have no entitlement to endanger the health and wellbeing of people in the community. Wear a mask or don’t work.

On your points

1. Mental health can be sorted in the main, remotely - absolute rubbish, hard to take your points seriously when you say this. I've a close friend who was almost destroyed by the first lockdown, remote meetings were useless. When the face to face meetings returned it had a huge impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

acequion wrote: »
    I'm detecting a lack of empathy towards the OP.

Now as somebody renowned for lack of patience and more a proponent of tough love and snow flake what???? I still feel more balance and more empathy is required.
      Certain facts are indisputable such as:
    1. People suffer from mental health issues.
    2. Mental ill health can be as debilitating as physical health.
    3. There is a proven connection between mental ill health and suicide.
    4. Just as online schooling doesn't work for everybody for various reasons, likewise with online counselling.
    5. Whether you agree or disagree with the level of restrictions in Ireland there is no doubting that they are harsh and very difficult to live with, especially over such an extended period.
    6. Is one person's health more important than others or should there be more equality in the approach to everyone's physical and mental health? is a very fair question and worthy of debate.

Mind yourself OP.
    Absolutely. And that's simply because "mental health" is largely a spurious reason. A number of posters here have been trying to use mental health as a way to undermine the public health measures, most simply couldn't give a hoot about the topic - it's simply a means to an end.

In fact you'd have the the very same posters before the pandemic complaining about celebrities using MH as a way to further themselves and gain exposure (that grifting is utterly wrong imo) and are now using the same tactics themselves (equally wrong).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Well if your one friend got no benefit from remote/zoom sessions then everyone should stop having their remote session, right ? /S

Its fair to say most people get help from online sessions, as opposed to no help at all. Its also fair to say that all mental health services should be resumed as soon as it is deemed safe to do so.

Absolutely. And that's simply because "mental health" is largely a spurious reason.
    I know someone who died by suicide since the pandemic. She was a fragile soul and the pandemic pushed her over the edge leaving behind a teenage son.
    The people who dismiss mental health concerns are the same ones who will maintain that every death which occurred where someone was diagnosed(rightly or wrongly) with the corona virus was due to the coronavirus rather than due to the underlying illness which they were suffering from.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Edgy:rolleyes:

Asking for a completely legitimate clarification is edgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No one person's health is more important than another. However the collective health of the majority is more important than the health of a minority.

This however seems to be more about mask wearing than really about mental health.

Anyway, look after yourself op, seek out supports that are available, talk to people about how you are feeling and maybe talk to your GP

Incorrect. It is a minority of people who are at any real risk of death from covid (75+ years old).

We have however put the risk of a larger group of people at risk by locking down for so long - both mental health and physical health through missed cancer & heart disease diagnoses for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

In a normal year, if someone is terminal with xyz and is receiving end of life care and catches influenza, is this recorded as an influenza death? Genuine question. And no i'm not equating the flu and covid.

It would be noted, alongside their other illness(es). They have a chain of events, with the "underlying cause" of death noted and reported as the main cause of death.

This particular scenario would be difficult I'd imagine and depends on many factors, as it very well could be that influenza caused the death - but that they may have died a month or two later anyways from their illness.

If it was a case of them dying from their illness, and just so happened to have influenza - it wouldn't be listed as the "underlying cause of death".

The WHO has a good outline of how the reporting works here - it's worth a read: https://www.who.int/classifications/icd/Guidelines_Cause_of_Death_COVID-19.pdf

I would say though that by and large, covid death reporting is accurate. Looking at excess deaths across multiple countries - the large spikes in deaths line up with reported covid deaths (plus some more).

_115533472_optimised-uk_mortality_v_average17nov-nc.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

timmyntc wrote: »
    Incorrect. It is a minority of people who are at any real risk of death from covid (75+ years old).

A minority can be anything from 0.1% to 49.9%. It's nondescript. It may be that a small minority die from covid, a larger but still small minority require hospitalization for it - but it's still a large enough number to put huge stress on our health service and left unchecked without restrictions, it would become unmanageable. Patients like my friend's grandfather have contracted covid in hospital and died because of the huge outbreaks in hospitals. He went into hospital for a broken leg.

I would also say that death isn't the only negative consequence of covid. There are many (including two of my cousins) who are left with very real long-term symptoms. Even an extremely fit UFC fighter who had a very bright future ahead of him has had to retire due to complications from covid on his lungs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,709 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If posters want to discuss mental health and Covid-19, we have a sticky

If people wish to discuss Covid laws we have a dedicated thread

If people wish to discuss relaxing restrictions we have a thread for that as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement