Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UEFA Champions League 21-24: FTA on RTE&VMTV, LiveScore other matches

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

irishfeen wrote: »
    Tbh I’m delighted all games will be available FTA .. the gambling element is irrelevant because sky, BT, RTÉ and all other broadcasters are shoving that down our throats during games and pre and post game.

Don’t think we can just single out LiveScore as the baddies here.

I'd like to see some ban on betting ads introduced in the UK and Ireland like Spain recently brought in.

In Spain, advertising is only between 1:00-5:00am, with no exceptions for sports events, a total ban on gambling sponsorship of sports jerseys, kits and stadiums, and a ban on welcome bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Delta2113 wrote: »
    The app ad free is €1.99 per year.

This is purely to push Gambling and now that I've had all day to think about it I'm not happy that they have won the rights.

I am suprised this hasn't been looked at by regulators.
    This is a blatant gambling push.

How do you get young people to get into gambling?
    Let them have an app for free on their phone in their bedroom streaming their favourite sport and you hook them in without the supervision of their parents.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just to say that there’s other places on Boards to debate the rights and wrongs of gambling, this forum isn’t it. Also give it time. The deal was only announced this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Where can one avail of this sub for ad free? I cant see it anywhere

My sincere apologies. It's actually the Live Soccer App. I was trying them earlier and mistakenly thought it was for LiveScore.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭mike2084

Hopefully we won't get the dreaded '08' message on Sky boxes during BT's Champions League now, but from what I've read today I'm not expecting it to happen. I was mainly watching Champions League on BT anyway so I'll definitely be sticking with it now. The Goals Show is quiet addictive!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dodge wrote: »
    This simply isn’t true for football, and when you don’t have a native app and you have to cast from phone to TV, there’s a further delay

Just to point out that technically casting doesn’t work that way and doesn’t add any extra delay.

When you cast, your not actually streaming the video from your phone to the cast device/TV, instead what happens is the phone sends just the address of the video stream to the casting device and then the casting device directly streams the video from the source.

Your phone is basically just acting as a fancy remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd like to see some ban on betting ads introduced in the UK and Ireland like Spain recently brought in.

In Spain, advertising is only between 1:00-5:00am, with no exceptions for sports events, a total ban on gambling sponsorship of sports jerseys, kits and stadiums, and a ban on welcome bonuses.

I'd prefer to see ads on the telly, don't care what they're for, as long as the content is free to view but perhaps offer a subscription model to remove the ads if people want to avail of it then they can

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

bk wrote: »
    Just to point out that technically casting doesn’t work that way and doesn’t add any extra delay.

When you cast, your not actually streaming the video from your phone to the cast device/TV, instead what happens is the phone sends just the address of the video stream to the casting device and then the casting device directly streams the video from the source.

Your phone is basically just acting as a fancy remote.

Try it. There’s a few seconds delay between your device and how it connects to to the chromecast

I know how it works, and how it’s supposed to work, and casting adds a little delay. The connection is that delay

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Try it. There’s a few seconds delay between your device and how it connects to to the chromecast

I know how it works, and how it’s supposed to work, and casting adds a little delay. The connection is that delay

https://helpdeskgeek.com/product-reviews/hdg-explains-how-does-google-chromecast-work/
    Many people mistakenly believe that their device is streaming the content from the internet, and “sending” that data stream to the Chromecast to display on the TV. This isn’t the case. Devices like mobile phones and laptops that are capable of casting only act as a “remote control” for the Chromecast.

This means when you open a YouTube video and select the Chromecast icon, the following events take place.

Your device sends an HTTP request to the Chromecast, telling it the URL of the content you want to stream.
    The Chromecast uses its own browser to reach out to the internet and retrieve that content.
    The Chromecast will start streaming the content. Your device still has the ability to stop, start, move back or forward, or adjust the volume. However all content streaming is happening directly from the internet through the Chromecast device, and to the TV.

Of course it will take a second for the connection to setup on the cast device, but when it does, the cast device starts streaming directly the same it would on your phone. Once started it doesn't add any extra delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Tried casting from the LiveScore app to chromecast without having any luck, anyone cast its yet successfully for the videos they have up?

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    https://helpdeskgeek.com/product-reviews/hdg-explains-how-does-google-chromecast-work/

Of course it will take a second for the connection to setup on the cast device, but when it does, the cast device starts streaming directly the same it would on your phone. Once started it doesn't add any extra delay.

It’s the “once started” bit that is the delay. It doesn’t catch up

Again, I’ve tested this out loads of times. The more obstacles you put in the way, the longer the delay is. It’s that simple

And for live sport it is an issue

For some it’s acceptable, for me it’s a problem

I think at this stage the tangent involving the technical operation of Chromecast can be brought to a close

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

irishfeen wrote: »
    Tried casting from the LiveScore app to chromecast without having any luck, anyone cast its yet successfully for the videos they have up?

Yes using Android to Android TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

lertsnim wrote: »
    Yes using Android to Android TV.

It won't cast to the Firestick for me from an android phone.

Hopefully they can sort out the cast, otherwise it will be screen mirroring

The cast works fine on other apps

Huawei android to LG Smart Tv and as I say I get a white box on the phone saying select device but no device to select.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Would livescore be interested in selling some of the games to Premier Sport? or could they?

Elmo wrote: »
    Would livescore be interested in selling some of the games to Premier Sport? or could they?

16 Wednesday games will be shown by somebody. My guess is Premier but we don’t know for sure. We know RTE have first choice on Tuesday.

The non-first choice games will be shown by Livescore and only Livescore

16 Wednesday games will be shown by somebody. My guess is Premier but we don’t know for sure. We know RTE have first choice on Tuesday.

The non-first choice games will be shown by Livescore and only Livescore

I really don’t think any pay TV company will be interested in those Wednesday games now, with both LiveScore and BT showing them. They’d be ideal for a FTA broadcaster. Not sure if there’s a possibility of VMTV re-entering the race now. It might have been that they made their bid contingent on winning both packages and won neither but if so who did win that package. Or have UEFA re-opened the tender process?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

This simply isn’t true for football, and when you don’t have a native app and you have to cast from phone to TV, there’s a further delay

I have actually trialled this with livescore’s seria A coverage (compared with Premier on TV) and it was at least 30-60 seconds behind. That’s without casting

Not to go all geeky but this is the broadcasting forum...

That's just the way OTT works, It has more things to go through. In the past you just sent it to an aerial and it was in your house. Off-air in the analog days was instant!
    Then digital came along and all the processing put about 7 seconds of a delay and now you have OTT with about 30 to 1 minute of a delay.

The reason for that is that the encoders need time to encode the video then send it to the CDN and multiply it across the CDN and then transport it to your device. Unlike Sky or IPTV it's not a constant stream it's sending chucks of video which could be anything from 2 seconds to 15 seconds depending on your bitrate available and it won't start until that whole chunk or two is downloaded.

Video providers are catching up tho and the glass-to-glass time is coming down. At the last world cup BBC UHD had a 3 minute delay :pac: They put out a PR saying well done us we saved 30 seconds of time by just making that chuck smaller. Basic stuff lads.

afatbollix wrote: »
    Not to go all geeky but this is the broadcasting forum...

That's just the way OTT works, It has more things to go through. In the past you just sent it to an aerial and it was in your house. Off-air in the analog days was instant!
    Then digital came along and all the processing put about 7 seconds of a delay and now you have OTT with about 30 to 1 minute of a delay.

The reason for that is that the encoders need time to encode the video then send it to the CDN and multiply it across the CDN and then transport it to your device. Unlike Sky or IPTV it's not a constant stream it's sending chucks of video which could be anything from 2 seconds to 15 seconds depending on your bitrate available and it won't start until that whole chunk or two is downloaded.

Video providers are catching up tho and the glass-to-glass time is coming down. At the last world cup BBC UHD had a 3 minute delay :pac: They put out a PR saying well done us we saved 30 seconds of time by just making that chuck smaller. Basic stuff lads.

Okay, I think we can wrap up this tangent now please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

icdg wrote: »
    I really don’t think any pay TV company will be interested in those Wednesday games now, with both LiveScore and BT showing them. They’d be ideal for a FTA broadcaster. Not sure if there’s a possibility of VMTV re-entering the race now. It might have been that they made their bid contingent on winning both packages and won neither but if so who did win that package. Or have UEFA re-opened the tender process?

Why would they not show them FTA, assuming the price is right?

Even the UEFA global feed would be easier to watch than through an app. Casual viewers will flick over to it if it's on RTE 2 or TG4 or whoever has it, whereas they might not bother linking into an app to watch it. BT is pay tv as well, basic Sky + how much, 25/30 pm? Not for everyone. Premier Sport are not on Terrestrial TV either

Depends on the value I suppose......

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Why would they not show them FTA, assuming the price is right?

Even the UEFA global feed would be easier to watch than through an app. Casual viewers will flick over to it if it's on RTE 2 or TG4 or whoever has it, whereas they might not bother linking into an app to watch it. BT is pay tv as well, basic Sky + how much, 25/30 pm? Not for everyone. Premier Sport are not on Terrestrial TV either

Depends on the value I suppose......

Seems a lot of effort for the casual fan messing around with apps and trying to link it up to the TV? Then you also have to have adequate broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I can see it now champion's league on TG4 with Hector on commentary !

TG4 used to show a fair bit of football. La Liga highlights and even the odd big live game included. Lots of LOI coverage too

Their sports coverage(from Tour de France to athletics) is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Elmo wrote: »

How do LiveScore get the Serie A, La Liga and Portuguese pictures?

VMTV back in the picture, having now secured the Wednesday FTA rights plus all rights to the Europa League and Europa Conference League.

I've been saying for awhile now that Virgin Media Sport will be around for the foreseeable future and this deal cements that fact. Others here had it dead and buried.

It’s still not a lot to build a sports channel on, one night a fortnight really. And it won’t be a subscription driver when the matches are available elsewhere.

Now one thing I think they seriously should look at is the Irish FA Cup rights, which don’t appear to have been sold, in a context where half the matches won’t be on their platform.

Would be nice if they picked up these Irish FA Cup rights. I wonder if any games will be shown on ITV3 or ITV4 and if they will be blocked on Virgin Media. Time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If they are to keep the sports station i can see them pushing hard for the gaa rights for the leagues that eir held

Advertisement