Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

New build. Esb and water.

  • 26-02-2021 2:56pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ Stan27


    Hey.

    Got planning permission and want to start at the end of the year, do we need to have esb and water for the builders before they start building, or install that after the house is build.

    Thanks in advance


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ bfclancy


    Stan27 wrote: »
    Hey.

    Got planning permission and want to start at the end of the year, do we need to have esb and water for the builders before they start building, or install that after the house is build.

    Thanks in advance

    you'll need some source of water for wet trades. ESB won't be provided until house is ready for it


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52


    bfclancy wrote: »
    you'll need some source of water for wet trades. ESB won't be provided until house is ready for it

    Not quite re the ESB, they will provide a connection, forget whats its called


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭ JoeA3


    You don’t need either of them in order to start the build. The builders can manage without it in the medium term with generators and barrels of water sourced elsewhere.
    But you should definitely start the application process for both, particularly for Irish water as they’re slow and can be eye watering expensive if your site isn’t near an existing mains.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,919 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52


    JoeA3 wrote: »
    You don’t need either of them in order to start the build. The builders can manage without it in the medium term with generators and barrels of water sourced elsewhere.
    But you should definitely start the application process for both, particularly for Irish water as they’re slow and can be eye watering expensive if your site isn’t near an existing mains.

    And who will run the security lighting CCTV and other stuff at night.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭ JoeA3


    And who will run the security lighting CCTV and other stuff at night.

    I’m in the Wild West. No such requirement for any of the above. Not sure about the feasibility of getting a connection anyway prior to having a substantially built house with meter box fitted etc.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Novice Self-Build


    I just paid 4,000 as part of my application for ESB for a new connection. House is not started yet and wont be ready for at least a year.

    I was told that if I want a construction supply I need to make a separate application which will cost another 2,000.

    It seems strange that you cannot get at least an external socket in advance of the house being finished.

    I plan to stay on the site in temporary accomodation (probably in the garage) as uch as possible as I am worried about theft of machinery and materials.

    Imagine spending 40k on windows and then arriving to find them stolen 😱



Advertisement