Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

Looks like a delay to the start of the womens road race at the euro's. Mass wee break ensues.

Ellen McDermott hanging off the back there already. Hopefully she can get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Tour of Britain: The Ivory Coast chapter of the Dan Martin Fan Club there on the roadside...

Post edited by Melodeon on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I'd say that young lad was chuffed in the tour of Britain today. He flew up the path beside them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

So Bennett is starting the European RR. Can't see him being there at the sharp end of things, surely too lumpy for him and he would be rusty as well. But it antagonised Lefevre all end so every cloud...

Healy in the break at TOB. Little to no hope for the break there, climbs are all coming at the start of the stage

Looks like Teggart trying to go in the break in the Euro's.

Sam out the back already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Morris Garren

Switched on the Euro road race, seems like its a bit bonkers, riders all over the road, lots of groups, ne'er a Paddy nor sight of a green Jersey anywhere. It reminds me a bit of that stage in the 2020 Tour that started in a valley under the giant Viaduct and Bora went bananas 🍌 at the start and distanced Bennett et al. Here, it's the French doing the suicide job on the front, not sure who they are teeing up for victory to be honest

At one point France and Spain had 8 riders between them in a break of 12 or so. Landa and Pinot were there. Sam did manage to get back on to the peloton but the climbs before the circuit did for them and good few others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Good to see MVDP looking fit. Bodes well for the worlds but in this race (Antwerp Port Epic) I would enjoy another win for Taco I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Van Aert already looking worried about the next generation judging by the head on him

• Advertisement

Remco VDP has some engine, if he gets his brain and descending sorted he'll be some operator

The lad really needs to get his head in check. One thing they said in commentary that actually rang true was that he usually wins from solo attacks and just wasn't experienced with having someone sat on him like that, all the gesticulating and shouting for Colbrelli to come through doesn't do the head game much good. I know it was probably infuriating but just made him look a bit immature.

Anyone watch the race in Belgium? I swear that was the same neutral service mechanic that changed Remco's wheel in the Benelux Tour that changed the DSM riders wheel today, he's ditched the drill and looks like he's had a bit of practice!!!!

For a guy with his talent and palmares (even though he is only starting out) it's all about the win. Victory or death type of thing. He needed a fully committed attack on the climb and if that failed be prepared to do absolutely nothing once it's summit was reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think he is still to used to riding at a level where he had it all his own way. Even at pro a lot of races were picked for him. I'm sure he'll get street smart after a while

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Antwerp Port Epic? I just caught the highlights - well I thought I recorded the highlights on Eurosport but they just replayed the last hour of the race...

MVDP is back.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah for sure, Taco looked to have good form too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Is that not just standard Eurosport/ GCN "Highlights"? Repeat the opening of the live coverage with the route map/ cut to the last x minutes of the race.

Even though it was great to have Friebe back on the Cycling Podcast for the Vuelta, I definitely missed the ITV4 highlight show.

If you go back to yesterday on the schedule at 16:00 you can view all of what was aired. The hour long coverage was what was shown later in the evening on ES1 or 2

Curious time trial prologue in the Tour of Slovakia, a very short 1.6 km or approx 2 minutes.

Suited sprinters \ track pursuiters and was won by Aussie sprinter Kaden Groves of Team BikeExchange

Peter Sagan was 10th

Chris Froome wasn't in the Top 50, mightn't even have been even in the Top 100...

• Advertisement

113 at about 12 seconds down was Froome. This might not be a race for Froome as the likes of Archbold can finish 3rd on GC as we saw last year having led the race for a bit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Caught up with a few races the last few mornings as I'm in a recovery week on the turbo...

• Really enjoyed the Antwerp Port Epic - they just need to block the footpaths on some of the cobbled sections.
    • I'd say the euro's was better to watch live than the highlights to be honest. No idea why Remco led that out. Maybe he didn't fancy his chances against Cosnefroy in sprint, but that's probably straw clutching excuses. Camera work was shocking - showing riders going off the back as people were attacking off the front.
    • Enjoyed the Giro Della Toscana. Not sure why, but always liked Valgren even when he was at Astana. Great to see him back. Remco could do with some of the EF DS's in his ear!

I love the Italian racing this time of year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Very emotional winner in Luxemburg and popular too. Does show how much pressure some of these guys are under. Ok over to Sabatini. Last week of holidays so I'm watching any race I can :)

Loving that blue Cinelli

Thought Dan might ride the Worlds. One last hurrah.

My IT background is causing irritation watching the primus classic. The main commentator can't hear Magnus but we can and it sounds like they are trying to figure out what is wrong with Magnus' setup while it seems obvious to me that the problem is probably on the main commentator's end. Anyway...

Ha same, It's infuriating.

• Advertisement

Camera setup poor at the Primus finish also I thought...

Advertisement