Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes-Benz C-Class PHEV

Options
2»

Comments

  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog


    KCross wrote: »
    You're just perpetuating the myths liam! :)

    ...

    The charge speed is the same as early BEV's.... 3.6kW.
    As the PHEV's get larger batteries Im sure 7kW will be more common but as I said its largely irrelevant as the vast majority of the charging is at home by night so who cares.

    AC on street charging is under utilised anyway as they are 22kW and most EV's (inc BEVs) cant go beyond 7kW so its again irrelevant... its about shifting more of the users driving to zero emissions.

    That's not a myth though, it's an accurate reflection of the fact that a PHEV needs to be charged more often than a BEV. I have no issue with PHEV's using the public AC chargers, personally I don't understand the desire to use them by BEV drivers, my charging motto has always been go fast or go home :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    liamog wrote: »
    That's not a myth though, it's an accurate reflection of the fact that a PHEV needs to be charged more often than a BEV.

    Not really... once a day the same as a BEV.
    Possibly twice if you decide to use a destination charge point which BEV drivers also do even when they dont need to, just to get free electricity!

    Its not so much the individual statements though... its the usual myths that are thrown out as a reason why PHEV's just shouldnt exist at all.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog


    KCross wrote: »
    Not really... once a day the same as a BEV.
    Possibly twice if you decide to use a destination charge point which BEV drivers also do even when they dont need to, just to get free electricity!

    Its not so much the individual statements though... its the usual myths that are thrown out as a reason why PHEV's just shouldnt exist at all.

    You charge your car once a day, that's madness :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    liamog wrote: »
    You charge your car once a day, that's madness :D

    Charged the Leaf every day to 100% for years!

    Get home, plug it in, let the timers do their thing.... PHEV's are the same.


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog


    Well 24kW Leaf's are like a PHEV without the ICE backup. I think we're down to charging the Ioniq once a month at this rate. I use the Mini for most trips and only need to plug that in once a week. Can't wait to be able to do proper drives again. I miss congestion!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin


    liamog wrote: »
    Well 24kW Leaf's are like a PHEV without the ICE backup. I think we're down to charging the Ioniq once a month at this rate. I use the Mini for most trips and only need to plug that in once a week. Can't wait to be able to do proper drives again. I miss congestion!


    Yeah I think I'm down to charging once a week with my Leaf24. The ID.4 will probably be once a month (if it ever arrives)



    I see the attraction of PHEVs, and if used well then they're as good as an EV. I'm still unconvinced that the majority of them are regularly charged, there's 3 or 4 PHEVs around me and I'd say they get charged once a month at most.


    I know that's not universal, and there's plenty of folks out there who are using them as intended, but that's been my experience so far

    "The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost



  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    I'm still unconvinced that the majority of them are regularly charged, there's 3 or 4 PHEVs around me and I'd say they get charged once a month at most.


    I know that's not universal, and there's plenty of folks out there who are using them as intended, but that's been my experience so far

    Well, bigger the fools them then... they paid extra to have the PHEV and they are not utilising it.

    I would say the majority who pick a PHEV know what they are buying and how to use it.... its not like you tick a box for mud flaps and pay an extra €100 for it. A PHEV is at least €1k+ premium so anyone spending that and not using its capability has too much money in their pocket!


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati


    KCross wrote: »
    Well, bigger the fools them then... they paid extra to have the PHEV and they are not utilising it.

    I would say the majority who pick a PHEV know what they are buying and how to use it.... its not like you tick a box for mud flaps and pay an extra €100 for it. A PHEV is at least €1k+ premium so anyone spending that and not using its capability has too much money in their pocket!

    Most PHEV’s in that category inc Merc’s / Volvo’s have been 10k dearer than default petrol even after grants and vat not allowable and no BIK benefit I doubt they are bought by somebody who won’t charge them.

    A few new entrants to the market are similar price to equivalent diesel eg Leon or Megane and can be considerably cheaper than a similar spec EV’s (eg high spec ID3) so I expect to see more of them. I’d love an E300de but too rich for my blood but I’ll await keenly the pricing of this new C Class and hope it’s only a grand dearer than say a C200 or C220


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog


    Wouldn't be the first time an Irish person has spent an extra 5k on a car purchase to save €100 a year on motor tax.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭KCross


    The C-class PHEV has a 25kWh battery!

    That’s more than a Gen 1 Leaf!

    https://insideevs.com/news/490752/new-mercedes-c-class-plugin-62-miles/

    It is what every PHEV should be.

    Price will be interesting.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer


    KCross wrote: »
    The C-class PHEV has a 25kWh battery!

    That’s more than a Gen 1 Leaf!

    More power too than a Leaf or Ioniq, in EV mode.


Advertisement