Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ban gambling adverts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

km991148 wrote: »
    Yes but I mean specific rules around what addictive features and persuasive design techniques that are put into games/products and websites.

But we are a million years away from anything like that.

(Also what you said too of course)
    Those technicues are used in a myriad of advertising though. I don't thik the techniques themselves are the issue as such plus the practicalities of "outlawing" them would be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

kippy wrote: »
    Those technicues are used in a myriad of advertising though. I don't thik the techniques themselves are the issue as such plus the practicalities of "outlawing" them would be difficult.

The part I'm taking about is nothing to do with advertising. It's game and product development.
    But you are right, there is no chance of being able to legislate fir it, which is why they can only look towards blunt tools like restricting advertising and cutting them off a bit from that angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would agree with a ban on gambling advertising and I say that as someone who likes the odd punt myself.

I dont think many people realise just how big online gambling has gotten over the last decade mainly because how secretive it is. But I know myself because I made nice sums of money owning shares in Paddy Power at the start of the last decade. Their share price doubled and then doubled again all in the space of about three years. Nowadays they are merged with Betfair and the pair of them are lobbying hard to get gambling restrictions overturned in many US states. These are giants of companies and as another poster said they are using consumer psychology to find out new ways to get people addicted. Just like the tobacco companies they need to be constantly recruiting the next generation to sustain their growth.

Gambling is generally only a problem for about 5% of people who gamble. In Ireland its estimated there are around 40,000 problem gamblers which would be far less than the amount of alcoholics. However the damage these 40,000 people can do to their families is huge and ultimately when they lose their job, house, etc it is the taxpayer and society at large who ends up footing the bill through social welfare.

So I wouldnt have any problems with advertising on it being banned. The UK is already looking at similar and theres a recognition over there now that gambling companies have been allowed to grow out of control over the last 10 years. They're putting a new gambling bill through parliament at the moment to counter act that.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Would agree with a ban on gambling advertising and I say that as someone who likes the odd punt myself.

I dont think many people realise just how big online gambling has gotten over the last decade mainly because how secretive it is. But I know myself because I made nice sums of money owning shares in Paddy Power at the start of the last decade. Their share price doubled and then doubled again all in the space of about three years. Nowadays they are merged with Betfair and the pair of them are lobbying hard to get gambling restrictions overturned in many US states. These are giants of companies and as another poster said they are using consumer psychology to find out new ways to get people addicted. Just like the tobacco companies they need to be constantly recruiting the next generation to sustain their growth.

Gambling is generally only a problem for about 5% of people who gamble. In Ireland its estimated there are around 40,000 problem gamblers which would be far less than the amount of alcoholics. However the damage these 40,000 people can do to their families is huge and ultimately when they lose their job, house, etc it is the taxpayer and society at large who ends up footing the bill through social welfare.

So I wouldnt have any problems with advertising on it being banned. The UK is already looking at similar and theres a recognition over there now that gambling companies have been allowed to grow out of control over the last 10 years. They're putting a new gambling bill through parliament at the moment to counter act that.

yeah - this is the thing - its the depth of damage caused and left unchecked, the companies will suck the absolute life out of anyone who ends up with a problem. Also looks ate the trouble around FOB machines, particularly in the UK from ~2006 until they brought in some level of restriction.

Areas with very few amenities, generally run down but they would have a Hills, Ladbrokes, PP and a Coral and an independent all within 200 years of each other.
    I absolutely don't think gambling should be banned at all (besides, prohibition would just bring back illegal bookies - wouldn't work at all), but its a market that left entirely to its own devices would completely run amok.

Can’t see any reason to ban it. The problem isn’t gambling, it’s problem gamblers. Hit them instead.

• Advertisement

Can’t see any reason to ban it. The problem isn’t gambling, it’s problem gamblers. Hit them instead.

125 posts and not a single reason to ban or restrict advertising? How would you tackle/assist/punish people with a gambling problem out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Muahahaha wrote: »

This all of this.. it destroys families. I have recently been on the recieving end of a secret gambling addiction with my ex. We were saving for a mortgage. He spent and lost the best part of €40 grand over 6 months through gambling. A hell of alot of it online. Constantly chasing the loss waiting for the big win but dwindled everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Lashes28 wrote: »
    This all of this.. it destroys families. I have recently been on the recieving end of a secret gambling addiction with my ex. We were saving for a mortgage. He spent and lost the best part of €40 grand over 6 months through gambling. A hell of alot of it online. Constantly chasing the loss waiting for the big win but dwindled everything.

If he'd have won 1k his account would have been closed by the bookies. They allow reckless gamblers to keep gambling their money away. They are watching every account closely. They'd have loved seeing a mug losing thousands. Probably gave him refunds and free bets galore. They really are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,355 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I don't think that is the point.
    Normalising gambling as an everyday thing to do is the issue. Kids are getting exposed to more and more direct advertising that is gambling related. It's almost part of watching football now (or you would think it is)

Fully agree with you about gambling.

There's something particularly sad about seeing lads betting on animated horse races on the terminals in the shop - no pretense of it being a sport or related to form. It's just pure random gambling, except that the house ALWAYS wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

km991148 wrote: »
    yeah - this is the thing - its the depth of damage caused and left unchecked, the companies will suck the absolute life out of anyone who ends up with a problem. Also looks ate the trouble around FOB machines, particularly in the UK from ~2006 until they brought in some level of restriction.

The case of the Co.Carlow postman who stole 1.7 million from An Post and gambled it all away with Paddy Power really showed how low the big gambling companies will stoop. His account manager in Paddy Power knew well he was a postman yet they were allowing him place a 40k bet on womens football match in Norway. The account manager was piling him with free tickets to go see Man United play, free tickets for Paddy Powers corporate box in Chelenham, etc because they were making so much money out of him.

But at the end of the day Paddy Power sails off into the sunset with 1.7m in profit despite knowing well this chap couldnt afford it. And as An Post is owned by the taxpayer ultimately we are all on the hook for that 1.7m. Then the chap loses his job so we're on the hook for his dole too. No one is going to employ someone who stole 1.7m so he may never work again. And if he lost his house we'll be on the hook for his rent allowance too. Us taxpayers are treated like mugs while Paddy Power faced no consequences whatsoever and got to keep the 1.7 million.
    Lashes28 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that. I know of a similar situation through my sister of a couple saving up a target of 100k to put two kids through university and the husband gambled 35k of it. He got caught, said he would never do it again and she forgave him. 2 months later she notices he always brings his phone to the toilet at home. She got suspicious and found out that he had burnt another 12k of their savings. That was the end of the marriage so now shes bringing up the kids on her own and has no idea of how she will be able to put them through university.

Like I said in the previous post its only about 5% of gamblers who ever develop into problem gamblers. But the damage they can cause to their families and children is huge and its all done silently behind their partners back. The wife in the above example is now sh1tting either of her kids getting enough points for UCD or Trinity because she just cant afford to pay four years of rent in Dubln for them. If they get the points they cant go so the fathers gambling now effects their education and ultimately their outcome in life. All because of what their father did. Its a horrible situation and now the kids will suffer from the fall out from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

We have three children together, I'm renting now and he is living in his box room in Mammys. He messed up our lives and our children's lives big time.
    The lying,the stealing,the sneaking around to feed the addiction,but unlike a drug addict or alcoholic,it can go undetected for much longer. It doesn't change the persons health like other addictions.
    Something needs to be done to regulate it. There are so many men out there struggling with defining the line between gambling for fun and being consumed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Most of our media comes from the UK which is saturated with advertising for betting so a ban would be more of a virtue signal, with loss of domestic ad revenues, than any consequential reduction in ad exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ramasun wrote: »
    Most of our media comes from the UK which is saturated with advertising for betting so a ban would be more of a virtue signal, with loss of domestic ad revenues, than any consequential reduction in ad exposure.

You gotta start somewhere. A bit like the plastic bags....
    Domestic add revenue is an issue alright but unfortunately there is a greater good that sometimes overshadows these kinds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You gotta start somewhere. A bit like the plastic bags....
    Domestic add revenue is an issue alright but unfortunately there is a greater good that sometimes overshadows these kinds of things.

I am sure Virgin Media TV's green room breaks every BAI rule on this type of advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Potentially positive move in the right direction in the UK. The sheer amount of gambling ads on TV, pitchside and on shirts is incredible, it's incessant while watching any match on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A pox on society, you know a place is going downhill by the proliferation of betting shops and lads with crutches hanging around outside.

Fcukin amoral parasitic organisations. No wonder the Mob loved them in the States.

A nudge in the right direction hopefully (and not a token gesture to make it look like they are doing "something")..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How is woke RTE still allowing the childrens movie on a Saturday night to be interupted by the Lotto, it's as absolute crooked and corrupt as it gets, it's like a brewery sponsoring PE equipment at the local primary school. Those taking this cash should be in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,927 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

• Registered Users Posts: 23,442 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fully agree with banning advertising, not gambling.

If people want to gamble their lives away more power to them but the ads, particularly online, are specifically designed to press certain buttons and target vulnerable audience.

There is a reason the layouts, the graphics, sound...everything is always the same. They have it down to a science and it is relentless. Ad after ad.

I just totally disagree with it.

• Advertisement

Yep agreed. No issue with anyone who wants to gamble, up to each individual but as you say the advertising is targeted and so incessant as to do more harm to those who are at risk as opposed to any positive from it.

I tend to agree but I would go further and look to more heavily regulate the industry.

Limits on things like the number of shops in an areas (or tighter limits if any) and when it comes to online - way tighter controls on the types of games and the time between playing games etc. The amount that can be spent on R&D/UX should also be heavily restricted (although its already a bit late on that one).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is there a major issue with kiddiwinks buying lotto tickets?

I agree interrupting a movie is a pain in the face though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Wonderful job of completely missing the point, congrats.

Making up lies helps no one. I've won amounts over 1k in the past. I think the most was 4,500 and my account wasn't frozen or closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Loads and loads of people banned for gambling responsibly and showing a profit.

Look at Kenny Egan, spent thousands on hookers etc. No outward signs of addiction. Lets ban sex because some people can't control themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Every single advertisement should be forced to have the disclaimer that if you win and gamble responsibly you will be restricted. I'd have no problem with advertising as long as that was put in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Still missing the point. Spectacularly.

Probably deliberately.

Advertisement