Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iMac mid-2010

Options
  • 14-02-2021 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I’ve an iMac mid-2010. It’s really slow. (Maxed RAM a few years back) Haven’t used it much in the last few years as
    I) use work laptop
    Ii) iPhone
    Iii) iPad.

Is there a way to make it faster, change the hard drive perhaps. Is it worth much to sell off.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Replacing the HDD with an SSD should help a lot.
    I have a 2011 MacbookPro that I have upgraded with RAM and SSD and I still use for browsing, watching media, and such light activities.
    However, mine has an i7 CPU which is probably twice as fast as your i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭karlitob

JoyPad wrote: »
    Replacing the HDD with an SSD should help a lot.
    I have a 2011 MacbookPro that I have upgraded with RAM and SSD and I still use for browsing, watching media, and such light activities.
    However, mine has an i7 CPU which is probably twice as fast as your i3.

Any recommendations for SSD?

Would it be worth much if I sold it?

Thanks for your time replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

It will only take SATA SSDs, so you've not much choice anyway.
    I would try something small and cheap, just to see if you can install OSX at all.
    You should try to create an installation USB from your current version of OSX. Do not attempt to install the most recent one, as it will likely choke on that old CPU.

I don't know what it would be worth, if sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd sell it if you could get something for it, won't even update a an iphone anymore, apple killed them off via software.

I'd sell it if you could get something for it, won't even update a an iphone anymore, apple killed them off via software.

Good advice. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Swapping to an SSD would make it a lot faster, obviously a first gen i3 is pretty slow as well, but with 4GB of RAM and an SSD it should be still fine for casual use like web browsing, music, documents, etc.

It's worth doing as these days you will get a small 120GB SSD that's plenty for the operating system and document storage for €25.

Homelander wrote: »
    Swapping to an SSD would make it a lot faster, obviously a first gen i3 is pretty slow as well, but with 4GB of RAM and an SSD it should be still fine for casual use like web browsing, music, documents, etc.

It's worth doing as these days you will get a small 120GB SSD that's plenty for the operating system and document storage for €25.

It does seem too good to get rid of considering that I use my work laptop for most home stuff - documents etc (all on external hard drive and backed up).

But the iMac for purchasing, browsing and tv.

I have 350GB used - god knows with what. Would that inc the price a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not really, you can get a 500GB SSD for about £50.

350GB is a lot of space to have taken up if you are not sure what it is. That would be a lot of video/audio files. Which is fine of course, but make sure you need the space rather than it's cluttered up with all kinds of ancient stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

I did this on a friends mac last year. Probably same age too.
    Maxed out the RAM and inserted a SanDisk SSD, installed the latest OS at the time.

He was happy with the performance improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Wrap it in an air tight bag and chuck it in the attic for 10 years. Some Apple fanboy will pay a fortune for it then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement