Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Pistol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭SVI40

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    BIGLY!!! Should cost not much more than 100 euros just on shipping.
    Use this www.waffentaxi.de and it is 125 euros collected from Germany to your door or gun dealer. Who did he send it with?That sounds like DHL/Deutsche post prices.:eek:
    The std fee FIK is the police processing the export cert and that's 50 euros.

Now you tell me!! :pac:

Here's the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I remember when the pistols came back, a dealer telling me he ordered four pistols from Germany, and not really knowing the form waited until a securicor or similar to pull up in a van and deliver them.

He came home one morning and the postman had just left four boxes in his porch, The German dealer had just popped them in the post :eek:.

tudderone wrote: »
    I remember when the pistols came back, a dealer telling me he ordered four pistols from Germany, and not really knowing the form waited until a securicor or similar to pull up in a van and deliver them.

He came home one morning and the postman had just left four boxes in his porch, The German dealer had just popped them in the post :eek:.

Yep, when I bought my SV pistol, it was sent standard post, back in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

MKIII Target is a very good deal at £350 however if for target shooting I'd receommend a Volquarsten upgrade of the internals about €150.00, all steel and a very good balance for target shooting, have the MKIV equivalent in SS and it is a fantastic pistol. VQ also do great magazine bases that allow positive insertion and extraction for target shooting events.
    MKIII is a good deal would I prefer the MKIV absolutley
    Some small issues with MKIII
    Loaded Chamber indicator, needs removal and blanking
    Bolt Stop does not have auto release, means you have to depress the bolt stop to allow the bolt to go forward, VQ do an auto release replacement.
    MKIII has the akward disasembly and assembly process, really not difficult but when you have field stripped a MKIV once you will not tend to want a MKIII
    Biggest advantage of the MKIII as advertised: You can buy it tomorrow, licence it and arrange transfer to a dealer down south once licensed..............

Last but not least Ruger MKIV pistols have become very expensive if you look at the German dealers sites, looking for about €995 for the Target MKIV SS
    Reload Shop associated with NITSA just North of Newry is worth a call for a price on new units. Prices usually better than importing from Germany as they source them from the UK I believe

SVI40 wrote: »
    Yep, when I bought my SV pistol, it was sent standard post, back in 2008.

Whats an SV, never heard of one of them?

• Advertisement

smmember20 wrote: »
    MKIII Target is a very good deal at £350 however if for target shooting I'd receommend a Volquarsten upgrade of the internals about €150.00, all steel and a very good balance for target shooting, have the MKIV equivalent in SS and it is a fantastic pistol. VQ also do great magazine bases that allow positive insertion and extraction for target shooting events.
    MKIII is a good deal would I prefer the MKIV absolutley
    Some small issues with MKIII
    Loaded Chamber indicator, needs removal and blanking
    Bolt Stop does not have auto release, means you have to depress the bolt stop to allow the bolt to go forward, VQ do an auto release replacement.
    MKIII has the akward disasembly and assembly process, really not difficult but when you have field stripped a MKIV once you will not tend to want a MKIII
    Biggest advantage of the MKIII as advertised: You can buy it tomorrow, licence it and arrange transfer to a dealer down south once licensed..............

Last but not least Ruger MKIV pistols have become very expensive if you look at the German dealers sites, looking for about €995 for the Target MKIV SS
    Reload Shop associated with NITSA just North of Newry is worth a call for a price on new units.

Ruger make great firearms. I have had a few ruger rifles, one ruger revolver, and one of their pistols, all excellent. But i have to say i find the Ruger .22 semi-auto pistols heavy, especially if long barreled.

Ruger make great firearms. I have had a few ruger rifles, one ruger revolver, and one of their pistols, all excellent. But i have to say i find the Ruger .22 semi-auto pistols heavy, especially if long barreled.

5.5" target all steel, are well balanced, not the 22/45

22/45 tend to be barrel heavy because pistol grip and body is composite/aluminium and not steel

This one ? Never seen one here, all either hunter or target variants.

https://www.ruger.com/products/markIVStandard/models.html

This one ? Never seen one here, all either hunter or target variants.

https://www.ruger.com/products/markIVStandard/models.html

https://www.ruger.com/products/markIVTarget/specSheets/40103.html

This is what I have!

Whats an SV, never heard of one of them?

Custom 1911/2011 pistols manufactured in Texas. Probably the best made 1911/2011 there are.

https://www.sviguns.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Did they just go straight through customs or was there paperwork? What I mean is did revenue know they were imported?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Franktonia charge €300-400 because they use freight companies to ship. Don't buy from them.

Shipping from German has never taken long at all. I always get it via a Irish RFD.

Go to a decent RFD here and let them sort it for you. Thats the easiest way.

Who’s on your list of decent RFD’s?

Thanks

Did they just go straight through customs or was there paperwork? What I mean is did revenue know they were imported?

Yes as far as i know it was perfectly legal. The pistols had licences and article 7 import permits. The German end was satisfied, and just sent them out by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Yes as far as i know it was perfectly legal. The pistols had licences and article 7 import permits. The German end was satisfied, and just sent them out by post.

Oh I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't legal, I just wasn't sure if the importation procedure was and different 15 years ago. Still though, its very interesting to see revenue stop a wooden stock but let handguns go through, very interesting priorities :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Who’s on your list of decent RFD’s?

Thanks

Any dealer that will get you what you want and not try sell you want they have.

5.5" target all steel, are well balanced, not the 22/45

22/45 tend to be barrel heavy because pistol grip and body is composite/aluminium and not steel

Not exactly true, there are more 22/45 Lite models than 22/45. This is an upgraded MK IV 22/44 Lite, a super gun and no way barrel heavy.

Not exactly true, there are more 22/45 Lite models than 22/45. This is an upgraded MK IV 22/44 Lite, a super gun and no way barrel heavy.

True, thanks overlooked that version my opinion was based on a mkiii 22/45 target that I have.

Personally for target shooting with any timed practices I prefer a heavier gun as it helps recover the sight picture faster in my view!!

Mkiv target as is about 1.2kg
    Mkiii target 22/45 just under .95kg
    Mag adds .1kg to either

Just adding a pic of my VI the mag has a VQ base plate bought in packs of 5 they are numbered which is handy

MkIV has full VQ upgrade including SS trigger, factory original is black and not in keeping with the rest of the gun. 🙂

True, thanks overlooked that version my opinion was based on a mkiii 22/45 target that I have.

Personally for target shooting with any timed practices I prefer a heavier gun as it helps recover the sight picture faster in my view!!

Mkiv target as is about 1.2kg
    Mkiii target 22/45 just under .95kg
    Mag adds .1kg to either

I haven't used a 22/45 Lite in competition. I use (like you said) the heavier pistols for that. This is the MK IV Competition that I'd use, but the 22/45 Lite will be used for competition also this year.

Picture show the 22/45 Lite before any upgrades and my MK IV Competition, you can see the difference in grip angle, different but equally nice to hold.

I haven't used a 22/45 Lite in competition. I use (like you said) the heavier pistols for that. This is the MK IV Competition that I'd use, but the 22/45 Lite will be used for competition also this year.

Picture show the 22/45 Lite before any upgrades and my MK IV Competition, you can see the difference in grip angle, different but equally nice to hold.

Look great:

I can highly recommend the VQ bases for the competition MKIV makes mag changes very easy and improves handling between mag changes

https://volquartsen.com/products/1346-magazine-base-pads-for-ruger-mk-iv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nice Ruger MKIII with 4 mags, hard case, holster and 2 mag holsters for sale in the for sale/wanted section here on Boards.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058116782

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Now you tell me!! :pac:

Here's the breakdown.

2 and 3 are legit govt fee of a 100 euros for the paperwork.
    230 for uninsured postage is off the scales.
    Reckon that's Deutsche post/DHL throwing their weight about with a near-monopoly on moving firearms.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Having a MK 2 target bull barrel,I have to say they are a super accurate, once in a lifetime-buy pistol.But disassembly and reassembly is ONE major PITFA to do right. Can see why its probably easier to take the grips off and dunk the whole thing in a flat box tray of Hoppes No 9 bore solvent, blast off any excess with an airline and re-lube essential points.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

2 and 3 are legit govt fee of a 100 euros for the paperwork.
    230 for uninsured postage is off the scales.
    Reckon that's Deutsche post/DHL throwing their weight about with a near-monopoly on moving firearms.

Agreed. I'll know for the next time. I could have flown over and collected it for less. When it did arrive, the just handed to the kids when they answered the door. No id, no asking for me, nothing. Not a very secure shipment, considering the fee.

Great pistol though, circa 1979 High Standard Victor. Up there with the older S&W 41's.

Having a MK 2 target bull barrel,I have to say they are a super accurate, once in a lifetime-buy pistol.But disassembly and reassembly is ONE major PITFA to do right. Can see why its probably easier to take the grips off and dunk the whole thing in a flat box tray of Hoppes No 9 bore solvent, blast off any excess with an airline and re-lube essential points.

Thats all gone with the new ones, but you can get a kit for the older models, remove one screw and thats it.

https://www.eabco.net/Speed-Strip-Kits-for-Ruger-Mk-I-II-III-and-2245-_p_13702.html

PERPETUALLY out of stock that unit on that website.:eek:

Agreed. I'll know for the next time. I could have flown over and collected it for less. When it did arrive, the just handed to the kids when they answered the door. No id, no asking for me, nothing. Not a very secure shipment, considering the fee.

Great pistol though, circa 1979 High Standard Victor. Up there with the older S&W 41's.

Yup,how my Mk 2 arrived as well. The Victor is a lovely pistol
    , the only drawback is you have to feed it a particular brand of ammo that you have formed the mag feeding lips to, it is a bit of a fussy eater on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

PERPETUALLY out of stock that unit on that website.:eek:

Thats my hopes raised and dashed in minutes,

1874 wrote: »
    Thats my hopes raised and dashed in minutes,

Probably out of production with the Chinese Lurgy !

• Advertisement

Yup,how my Mk 2 arrived as well. The Victor is a lovely pistol
    , the only drawback is you have to feed it a particular brand of ammo that you have formed the mag feeding lips to, it is a bit of a fussy eater on that point.

Not had that issue with it, shoots SK, Eley, CCI, Blaser, Geco. If you get the original mags, they are fine, but some of the KKK mags just will not work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement