Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I wire my house for Satellite TV

• 13-02-2021 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

Hi

Building a house at the moment and I am just wondering should I install coax cable for satellite TV. I will be getting FTTH and I will be running CAT6 all over the place, but should I also run some coax?? My kids mostly watch Netflix, YouTube etc

I suppose its no harm running some to the main TV point or to the IT cabinet. I have Sky where I am now and I'm not impressed, is IPTV taking over. I had Eir TV as well before and that wasn't great either.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Hi

Building a house at the moment and I am just wondering should I install coax cable for satellite TV. I will be getting FTTH and I will be running CAT6 all over the place, but should I also run some coax?? My kids mostly watch Netflix, YouTube etc

I suppose its no harm running some to the main TV point or to the IT cabinet. I have Sky where I am now and I'm not impressed, is IPTV taking over. I had Eir TV as well before and that wasn't great either.

Simply put I did and its never used haha.

Seriously with the likes of firesticks and cable free multiroom these days I haven't found a good use for the coax, just looks crap hanging out of the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Hi

Personally I would run a coaxial cable to each room that your planning to put a television and put five where your planning to fit the main distribution,
    A break down of the five,
    1 X feed from cabinet to attic,
    1x feed from aerial
    1x feedback to attic
    2 X feed from sattelite,

You will be glad did, if you ever fit a CCTV system you can keep the main storage hidden and loop it to all televisions using an edision HDMi modulator,
    A dvd or Blu-ray player can also be shared throughout the house in the same fashion,
    Virgin media also uses RG6 cable if there's ever a chance of you having the option to go with them.
    That's how I've done my setup and can show pictures if required.

poBRvWHIj

pnZibmWwj

poZUUYcVj

pnTmkAbcj

Linked up to main distribution panel in my attic
    Fitted 75x75 maxi trunking along the Apex where the cables then tee off under the insulation in to the partition walls to the relevant locations.

pmFRTMi4j

Bedrooms have floating box's fitted tight to ceiling containing a sky DRX595 multiroom box with UK card for Freeview, and a virgin media multiroom box, all network connections are hard wired cat7, terrestrial feed directly to televisions containing additional broadcast from two Edison HDMI modulators.

poZs5Y2nj

pmt3vtx8j

poP2ptmhj

pmLKwFzsj

pm9yNXHgj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Coax is relatively cheap to install at this stage. Who knows what tech might come along in a few years time and you could be kicking yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Hi

We got FTTH. 3 4K TV’s in the house and everything is streamed. IPTV

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Co-ax plug and play is still the ubiquitous tech for TVs, Sky, Freesat, FTA sat etc. and will be for many years to come.

A reel of CT100 sat grade cable is relatively cheap and would recommend installing it during the build. Chased into the wall, never to be seen again and terminated with appropriate wallplates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Simply put I did and its never used haha.

Seriously with the likes of firesticks and cable free multiroom these days I haven't found a good use for the coax, just looks crap hanging out of the wall

Who is providing cable free multiroom in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Who is providing cable free multiroom in Ireland?

Sky Q? Still need cabling for main box though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I ran satellite and cat 7 duplex to all the rooms when I built 8 years ago. Satellite still gets some use, picking up signals from 2 different satellites and some of the channels are not online or behind pay subscriptions when accessing over internet. Modern TVs have in-built DVB-S tuners, so it is handy. Plus you will notice that live events are up to 30 seconds ahead of the internet equivalent. One thing I regret was not installing more CAT cable, didn't consider putting points in ceilings for cameras, APs, etc If I was doing it again today, I would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,987 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I distribute all Sat and terrestrial channels throughout the house on Cat 5e cable.
    It is also available via wifi for those devices without ethernet socket.
    I stripped out most of the coax when refurbishing, and doubled up on the ethernet cable runs ...... with multiple sockets in each room.

All cables returned to a media press, where I have both satellite and terrestrial tuners, and a small device to manage the tuners and look after EPG recordings and other media ....... all available to all devices connected.
    The only coax needed is two runs ..... one from aerial and another from the Unicable LNB on the sat dish, into the media press tuners.

This is FTA only.
    Some extra arrangements would need to be put in place for the likes of Sky ..... but I did, at one time, have a Sky HD box in the mix and that was also distributed along with the other channels.

My only regret is that I did not know how to do this many years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

From reading the posts I think I will put in at least one run to the attic or external wall for Satellite and then to my my IT cabinet and then have one run to the main TV point. I don't think there is any need to run coax to every room and I can always transmit over my Cat6 cabling. Sky now anyway use Ethernet/WiFi to run their SkyQ boxes. I building out in the country side so no Virgin media for me.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

From reading the posts I think I will put in at least one run to the attic or external wall for Satellite and then to my my IT cabinet and then have one run to the main TV point. I don't think there is any need to run coax to every room and I can always transmit over my Cat6 cabling. Sky now anyway use Ethernet/WiFi to run their SkyQ boxes. I building out in the country side so no Virgin media for me.

Sky's main box needs coax, FYI. Any additional boxes don't.

dulpit wrote: »
    Sky's main box needs coax, FYI. Any additional boxes don't.

Could it not use a HDMI to DVB-T device and be treated the same as the Sky HD box?
    In this way it can reside with the other tuners in a media press/cabinet.

Could it not use a HDMI to DVB-T device and be treated the same as the Sky HD box?
    In this way it can reside with the other tuners in a media press/cabinet.

I think they mean it needs coaxial cable to link the sattelite dish to the box, webro wf100 twin sat
    Is a good choice of cable

You will also need coax if you want to go without a satellite box, just plug directly into a TV that supports DVB-S. That's how I currently do it on my LG CX. I don't have a sky sub here, but the TV also takes Sky's cam module if I wanted to go that route.

jester77 wrote: »
    You will also need coax if you want to go without a satellite box, just plug directly into a TV that supports DVB-S. That's how I currently do it on my LG CX. I don't have a sky sub here, but the TV also takes Sky's cam module if I wanted to go that route.

Sky channel reception can only work with a Sky box I believe, so it seems that idea is a non-runner.

Sky channel reception can only work with a Sky box I believe, so it seems that idea is a non-runner.

I'm in Germany and Sky definitely have it here.

jester77 wrote: »
    I'm in Germany and Sky definitely have it here.

Not possible for Sky UK service as far as I am aware.
    I have never seen a reference to it for the UK service. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

LenWoods wrote: »

Bedrooms have floating box's fitted tight to ceiling containing a sky DRX595 multiroom box with UK card for Freeview,

Not possible. Freeview is a terrestrial service through an aerial, not a satellite service.

winston_1 wrote: »
    Not possible. Freeview is a terrestrial service through an aerial, not a satellite service.

What's it called when I get saoirview through the terrestrial aerial,
    And I have a sky Drx595 with an unsubscribed UK card fitted in it providing loads of BBC channels, Dave and channel 4 etc. All for free ?
    I always declared that to be Freeview,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭dubrov

LenWoods wrote:
    What's it called when I get saoirview through the terrestrial aerial, And I have a sky Drx595 with an unsubscribed UK card fitted in it providing loads of BBC channels, Dave and channel 4 etc. All for free ? I always declared that to be Freeview,

Freeview comes in over an aerial and is basically the UK's equivalent of Saorview.

The uk channels you are getting are coming in over satellite. The free satellite channels are broadcast unencrypted and generally called "free-to-air".

Freesat is an ordering of the main free to air channels into easy too use groups (entertainment, news etc.) with a 7 day programming guide.

I think the sky freesat card you are using basically gives you freesat on an old sky box.

Note, the Irish channels are broadcast over satellite but are encrypted so you'd need a sky subscription to watch those

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    Freeview comes in over an aerial and is basically the UK's equivalent of Saorview.

The uk channels you are getting are coming in over satellite. The free satellite channels are broadcast unencrypted and generally called "free-to-air".

Freesat is an ordering of the main free to air channels into easy too use groups (entertainment, news etc.) with a 7 day programming guide.

I think the sky freesat card you are using basically gives you freesat on an old sky box.

Note, the Irish channels are broadcast over satellite but are encrypted so you'd need a sky subscription to watch those

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain that for me, and yeah I can't get Irish channels on the sky box using the UK card but I use the terrestrial aerial for those.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Its all going wireless - never hurts to have something there - did the same. Maybe work out a way to hide it though in case its never used

Advertisement