Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Tie Or Not To Tie?

Options
  • 10-02-2021 7:07pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭

When I'm roasting a chicken I throw it into the oven with its legs akimbo. However I've realised recently that some people tie the legs together to keep the legs snug to the chicken.

So, do you tie - and if so does the chicken take a lot longer to cook? Does it make for more succulent legs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Untied. How do you get the lemon and herbs into the cavity otherwise?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Never tied myself, not sure it would add to the cook time, rather it might just stop the legs from overcooking compared to the rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Untied. How do you get the lemon and herbs into the cavity otherwise?!

You would tie after inserting?

PARlance wrote: »
    You would tie after inserting?

That seems like a pointless repetition of work for very little value-add that I can see, considering I've already cut the tie that came on the chicken in the first place.

I'll give yis a laugh, my sister's partner was making a chicken pot roast recipe of mine the other day. She spotted him with a big knife cutting a hole in the front of the chicken and was like "What are you doing?" and he goes "I'm cutting a hole to put the lemon in". She howled laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I do not tie. I find you get much more crispy skin that way (rather than flabby, gag)!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oliver Dunne recommends pulling the legs away from the body to decrease cooking time.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKPMpipA-so/?igshid=1qvu901xi0hl5

And no fancy salt needed when cooking! Only for finishing. Table salt for cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I do not tie. I find you get much more crispy skin that way (rather than flabby, gag)!

This.
    I deliberated much over this, I think I may have even had a thread here on it and the crispy skin is better, untied.

I actually can't find any logical reason to truss at all. Legs take longer to cook than the breast - you want to cook faster.

I think it's just that a trussed chicken looks neater and more like what we have been conditioned to expect a roast chicken to look like.

I go one further now and use an upright roaster. Crispy skin even on the bottom and I can cook a medium chicken in around 35 - 40 minutes in a hot oven.

#FreeTheLegs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I go one further now and use an upright roaster. Crispy skin even on the bottom and I can cook a medium chicken in around 35 - 40 minutes in a hot oven.

#FreeTheLegs

Tell me more. This sounds like an all-round winner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Well that's all very reassuring - I was beginning to think I'd been doing it the wrong way for decades :pac:

I couldn't stand flabby skin either, and I'd imagine it would take a lot longer to cook so by the time the legs and thighs were done the breasts would be sawdust.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Tell me more. This sounds like an all-round winner.

Haven't read the article but this is like my yoke.

https://images.app.goo.gl/KDa5c5bS1DK3ARNi6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Comerman

Comerman wrote: »

No.
    This is putting a big cold thermal mass into the chicken, slowing down the cooking and, it turns out, that the beer doesn't even steam and do anything.
    It's like the opposite of what I am doing which directs the heat into the inside of the chicken, sorry.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/beer-can-chicken-is-a-hoax-article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Comerman

No.
    This is putting a big cold thermal mass into the chicken, slowing down the cooking and, it turns out, that the beer doesn't even steam and do anything.
    It's like the opposite of what I am doing which directs the heat into the inside of the chicken, sorry.

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/beer-can-chicken-is-a-hoax-article

I have and honestly use the gadget like yours beer revolu and it's great.
    I never considered cold thermal mass when I was shoving the can up its ass :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Spatchcock the chicken.

trashcan wrote: »
    Spatchcock the chicken.

Also good for speed and crispy skin.

I find chicken cooks better if you spatchcock the "wrong way". I cut through the breast bone and spread it out that way. Ends up with the legs in the middle and each breast at the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Also good for speed and crispy skin.

I find chicken cooks better if you spatchcock the "wrong way". I cut through the breast bone and spread it out that way. Ends up with the legs in the middle and each breast at the edges.

Is there anything you do tbr that is the same as someone else? :);):)

Is there anything you do tbr that is the same as someone else? :);):)

Are you calling me contraaaaary?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Are you calling me contraaaaary?

That's the word :pac:

That's the word :pac:

I love it.
    Very useful and that pronunciation has a particular meaning. Usually preceeded by, fierce.
    Makes me think of my dad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement