Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing a car that hasn’t been on the road in 40+ years

• 10-02-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon gents,

I have a 1965 car at home that hasn’t been on the road (or taxed at least) since 1980. It’s an original Irish car with the original brown logbook.

I want to go about taxing and insuring it now. It has had a lot of recommissioning work done to it over the last 6 months and is more or less ready for the road.

But how do I tax it? I had my father on to the tax office in Dublin a few days ago (I’m not in the country) and just today they’ve sent out a form for a new logbook (specifically the form one fills out when applying for a logbook for a car not in their name) along with an RF100A to tax it.

Can I just fill have this form stamped by a solicitor (and main dealer for a now defunct brand!?) and add a note to the form to say that I do have the logbook, I just need to have the details re-added to the system?

Has anyone been through this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

afaik assuming it's not in your name, sending that form will generate a new logbook in your name and then you you'll be able to tax it with no arrears. I'd think you could just use the old logbook to do this without the form, just send it in for a new owner and they'll change it and return it. (again no arrears)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Isambard wrote: »
    afaik assuming it's not in your name, sending that form will generate a new logbook in your name and then you you'll be able to tax it with no arrears. I'd think you could just use the old logbook to do this without the form, just send it in for a new owner and they'll change it and return it. (again no arrears)

Perfect, yeah that’s sort of what I expected to be the case but the tax office did say that they have no record of the registration number and they’d have to put it back on the system or something like that.

I might ring myself and get another opinion and suggest this. Hard to know what to do when dealing with this indirectly.

wont be on the Computer but you have the Tax Book, I' d have thought that's all they would need.

(what is it? nose nose

I was on to the tax office myself. They want to know that the car actually exists (not sure why I’d want to be taxing it if it didn’t exist?) and so I need a form stamped by a solicitor or peace commissioner, but your man said I won’t need to present it to a garage for inspection or get an engineer’s stamp on the form. I have no idea what a solicitors stamp is going to prove but there you go!

Just have to include a note explaining the situation in with the form, and a completed RF100A, and he said they’ll transfer ownership and tax it for me and send me out the book in my name.

It’s a Wolseley 16/60, picked it up there before Christmas. I haven’t even seen the car in person yet! I’m stuck in the UK for a while yet. But all going well I’ll get to smoke around in it this summer.

nice find!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've to do this some time in the future, was chatting to one of the chaps in the vintage club and he told me don't give up the brown book, he said go to the tax office myself with the book and make sure to come home with it.

I've to do this some time in the future, was chatting to one of the chaps in the vintage club and he told me don't give up the brown book, he said go to the tax office myself with the book and make sure to come home with it.

Yeah, that’s what I would do ordinarily myself but with no sign of the tax offices opening any time soon I’m going this route. I have the original book, which has some interesting ownership history on it, so I’ll be printing PLEASE DO NOT REPLACE in big red letters on a piece of paper attached to the book when I send the paperwork off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Isambard wrote: »
    afaik assuming it's not in your name, sending that form will generate a new logbook in your name and then you you'll be able to tax it with no arrears.

Jaysus. 30 year of arrears would make your teeth itch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

I did it recently Duke went into my local tax office in Navan forms you need .. change of ownership form RF200 .. change of particulars RF111 and just add your name to the brown tax book and make sure you get it back 😉

noelf wrote: »
    I did it recently Duke went into my local tax office in Navan forms you need .. change of ownership form RF200 .. change of particulars RF111 and just add your name to the brown tax book and make sure you get it back 😉

Excellent! Do you mind me asking how recently? And was the car taxed at all in the last 30 years? I think the issue for me is that the reg yields no results on their system as it hasn’t been taxed in so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

I did it last December for the Citroen 2CV I had restored car was last taxed in 2018 but never had a NCT done so mileometer for the test was only 80 miles :) . The only problem for the NCT was the chassis plate had been forgotten to be reapplied and they insisted on a Garda PSV sign off . Hopefully with the brown tax book you have and the change of ownership form you wont have any problems ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

...I think the issue for me is that the reg yields no results on their system as it hasn’t been taxed in so long.

They went electronic around '91 or '92, so any registrations that weren't being taxed at that stage were not transferred to the new system (won't show up in a search), but can still be added manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I was on to the tax office myself. They want to know that the car actually exists (not sure why I’d want to be taxing it if it didn’t exist?) and so I need a form stamped by a solicitor or peace commissioner, but your man said I won’t need to present it to a garage for inspection or get an engineer’s stamp on the form. I have no idea what a solicitors stamp is going to prove but there you go!

Just have to include a note explaining the situation in with the form, and a completed RF100A, and he said they’ll transfer ownership and tax it for me and send me out the book in my name.

It’s a Wolseley 16/60, picked it up there before Christmas. I haven’t even seen the car in person yet! I’m stuck in the UK for a while yet. But all going well I’ll get to smoke around in it this summer.

I've had a 16/60 for c. 14 years. Fine car. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

THIS!

I'd be very wary of posting in the old logbook.

So, a quick update to this - I got a phone call today from a very nice lady in the Dublin tax office to say that she has put the car back onto “the system”, put it into my name and processed the tax, and she has sent the original tax book back out to me by registered post.

I only got around to sending off all the forms (statutory declaration, RF111, RF100A, the tax book and a letter explaining the circumstances) on Tuesday, so I’m very happy with that turnaround. Couldn’t ask for better or smoother service tbf. A great result.

Advertisement