Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top Young Wingers in Ireland

Options
  • 10-02-2021 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

23 and under

1. Jordan Larmour(23/Leinster)
    2. Robert Balacoune(23/Ulster)
    3. Tommy O'Brien(22/Leinster)
    4. Ethan McIlroy(20/Ulster)
    5. Aaron Sexton(20/Ulster)

Other wingers considered:
    Calvin Nash(23/Munster)
    Liam Coombes(23/Munster)
    Andrew Smith(20/Leinster)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Would put Lyttle ahead of 3 -5 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Would put Lyttle ahead of 3 -5 there.

Lyttle is 24.

bayern wrote: »
    Lyttle is 24.

Ah! Well then, I wouldn't.

Ah! Well then, I wouldn't.

if he was eligible i'd probably have him 4th.

if he was eligible i'd probably have him 4th.

For me he edges out O'Brien - his issues have been long periods of injury but when he gets a run and turns it on - like the semi-final against Edinburgh, where he was MOTM - he's very, very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

For me he edges out O'Brien - his issues have been long periods of injury but when he gets a run and turns it on - like the semi-final against Edinburgh, where he was MOTM - he's very, very good.

I'm not sure Lyttle has the injury profile to ever fulfil his potential. He hasn't managed more than 10 appearances in a season yet. And it can't be because he's not getting picked. He's been one of the better options for Ulster on the wing for 3 seasons now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

It's hilarious to me that Larmour is 23. Like I know he is young. He broke out so early.

But I still get surprised to see how young he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I'd put Calvin Nash in the mix also,

It's hilarious to me that Larmour is 23. Like I know he is young. He broke out so early.

But I still get surprised to see how young he is

Agreed on both your posts. Larmour feels like he's been about forever. I hope Lyttle does fulfil his potential. But even if he doesn't, I'd still rather have him than O'Brien, McIlroy, Nash in a crunch match tomorrow.

If it's about potential, I'd think McIlroy and Sexton are at 2 and 3.

Agreed on both your posts. Larmour feels like he's been about forever. I hope Lyttle does fulfil his potential. But even if he doesn't, I'd still rather have him than O'Brien, McIlroy, Nash in a crunch match tomorrow.

O'Brien is excellent and once he gets a run injury free will push for 1st choice in Leinster backline IMO.

• Advertisement

McIlroy would be higher but not convinced about his pace on the wing, hope to see more of him in his natural position of 15.

McIlroy would be higher but not convinced about his pace on the wing, hope to see more of him in his natural position of 15.

Definitely agreed.

Lowry absolutely has the talent for ten, but we do have to ask ourselves if his size is an issue, where it isn't so much at 15. If we're to try him at ten and give him a stretch to prove himself - and I hope we do - I'd like to see the same; McIlroy at FB. I'd rather keep Stockdale on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wren from Munster?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Baloucoune

I don't think I've ever seen anyone spell it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I could see McIlroy ending up at 15. He has all the skills for it from what I can see. Good in the air, reads the game well, good defender, good footballing skills and a good runner, don't think I've seen him kick a lot yet, so we will have to see about that aspect of the game...regular readers of the Ulster thread (all 4 of them!) will know that I rate him very highly. He doesn't have Balocoune's body of work yet, but in the long run I could see him going a bit further than than Fermanagh man...but we will see.

The good thing from an Irish perspective is that we have lots of talent in the back three, and a lot of it is young (Stockdale and Keenan aren't that long out of this age group themselves)...we just need to get the selection right in an Ireland context.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alanb92

Sean French is a serious talent. I have seen people say that it is his lack of defensive skills which have held him back, but if he can address that he will be some player. Tore up the AIL for Cork Con at 19/20.

Andrew Smith looks to me like he will have the highest ceiling of the others (Larmour aside). Big fan of Tommy O'Brien, but with his skillset I wouldn't be surprised if he plays more at 13 in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

alanb92 wrote: »
    Sean French is a serious talent. I have seen people say that it is his lack of defensive skills which have held him back, but if he can address that he will be some player. Tore up the AIL for Cork Con at 19/20.

Andrew Smith looks to me like he will have the highest ceiling of the others (Larmour aside). Big fan of Tommy O'Brien, but with his skillset I wouldn't be surprised if he plays more at 13 in time.

I've been seriously impressed by TOB every time I've seen him play. He's a skilled footballer who can pass and kick well, but also has an outside break and pace. Can conceivably play to high standard in an outside back position. Such a shame he got injured as he was pushing for a spot in Leinsters strongest 23.

Advertisement