Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Couriers to UK

Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭ VG31

Anyone have experience of shipping to the UK since Brexit with UPS, TNT, An Post or any other courier? Were there any significant delays or customs issues?

I normally use UPS but they seem to have a lot of Brexit related delays in the UK at present, at least from UK to Ireland.

Comments

• you need to know how to trade with the UK. Delays are not the delivery companies. its the senders who think nothing has changed and send packages as if the UK were still in the EU and likewise people here doing the same thing.

I know I looked at continuing to deal with the UK, then looked at the paperwork and said feck that.

I think that no matter what your turnover, you have to register for UK vat and make UK vat returns on all sales to the UK. Each parcel then must have the relevant declarations and your UK vat number on it.

• It's just semi-frequent private eBay sales, mostly for about €50 to €150 per item. I'd hardly need to be VAT registered as a private seller?

Most of my sales came from the UK but not many will probably be willing the pay import charges anyway. I might have to stick with EU sales.

• What is the cheapest way to send a parcel to the UK these days? I used to use parcel motel in the past but sending a parcel to UK is no longer an option - it's Ireland only in the send menu. I have Addresspal but I think that is just for receiving parcels. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I have to return an item to an ebay seller.

• Danick wrote: »
    What is the cheapest way to send a parcel to the UK these days? I used to use parcel motel in the past but sending a parcel to UK is no longer an option - it's Ireland only in the send menu. I have Addresspal but I think that is just for receiving parcels. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I have to return an item to an ebay seller.

https://www.parcel2go.com/ie/ Used them before and found them ok.

• con747 wrote: »
    https://www.parcel2go.com/ie/ Used them before and found them ok.

Tried them recently for a 5kg parcel to UK (50x40x30)..

Approx €25 IIRC..

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

• TomOnBoard wrote: »

Approx €25 IIRC..

So who did you use? post the name if it was cheaper so the OP know's.

Approx €25 IIRC..

Parcel2Go is just a booking site for couriers.

UPS is €18 for a parcel of that size and weight. I doubt you'll find anywhere cheaper than that.

So who did you use? post the name if it was cheaper so the OP know's.

Eeeasy on there!

Didn't send it in the end! Customs Duty/added VAT over there made it non-viable.

Eeeasy on there!

Didn't send it in the end! Customs Duty/added VAT over there made it non-viable.

Wasn't being smart or anything, just meant if you sent it cheaper to post it!:)

Wasn't being smart or anything, just meant if you sent it cheaper to post it!:)

No probs..

• Advertisement

• Danick wrote: »
    What is the cheapest way to send a parcel to the UK these days? I used to use parcel motel in the past but sending a parcel to UK is no longer an option - it's Ireland only in the send menu. I have Addresspal but I think that is just for receiving parcels. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I have to return an item to an ebay seller.

if its under 2kg and you can fit it in the size of a shoe box (small packet rate - length, width and depth no more than 90cm combined) - An Post will charge €14. A 5kg parcel will be €23

Make sure the contents have a stated value of under £39 and stated as a gift so that it does not attract extra uk charges

From gov.co.uk

The Gift allowance is £39 in value, gifts above this amount are liable to Import VAT. Customs Duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135.

To qualify as a gift:

the customs declaration must be completed correctly
    the gift must be sent from a private person outside the UK to a private person(s) in the UK
    there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly by anyone in the UK
    the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement