Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Athletics 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Roisin Willis, daughter of Breda Dennehy Willis clocked 2.41 1000m indoor recently.
    Puts her 2nd overall on High school list. She is also a 2.03 800m.

Here's hoping she will declare for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Ceepo wrote: »
    Roisin Willis, daughter of Breda Dennehy Willis clocked 2.41 1000m indoor recently.
    Puts her 2nd overall on High school list. She is also a 2.03 800m.

Here's hoping she will declare for Ireland

She does seem to be progressing very well. Is it on the cards that she may declare for Ireland? I’ve never heard any mention of that.

Given the incredible depth of US middle distance running right now, it would be a prudent move for sure..

Hamachi wrote: »
    She does seem to be progressing very well. Is it on the cards that she may declare for Ireland? I’ve never heard any mention of that.

Given the incredible depth of US middle distance running right now, it would be a prudent move for sure..

I haven't heard anything about her intentions.
    Just purely wishful thinking on my behalf.

2.03 800m wouldn't make the US team as there is a number of athletes under that time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Good run by Phil Healy over 400, 51.99.

Can't see Willis representing Ireland. She's only 16 and has run 2:03. She's well on her way to elite status. She won't be in Tokyo, too young, but watch out for her in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Womens 800 didn't dissapoint. I lost count how many have got the euro standard at this stage.

• Advertisement

jamule wrote: »
    Womens 800 didn't dissapoint. I lost count how many have got the euro standard at this stage.

Just about to post about that. Four different women beat the old record this week alone, 3 in that race! And none were Ciara Mageean.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Just about to post about that. Four different women beat the old record this week alone, 3 in that race! And none were Ciara Mageean.

I’m out and can’t watch it. Would you mind posting the 800m result here?

Georgie HARTIGAN 2:01.48
    Louise SHANAHAN 2:01.67
    Iseult O'DONNELL 2:02.29
    Claire MOONEY 2:04.29
    Katie KIRK 2:05.37
    Jenna BROMELL 2:05.63

Georgie HARTIGAN 2:01.48
    Louise SHANAHAN 2:01.67
    Iseult O'DONNELL 2:02.29
    Claire MOONEY 2:04.29
    Katie KIRK 2:05.37
    Jenna BROMELL 2:05.63

Impressive depth. We could field a competitive 4x800m team at the world relays.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

sprinters finish the day in style. Thats gonna be big team in the plane next week

• Advertisement

Another good run from Luke McCann 3.40.06.
    Great progression

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Wottle

Siofra has only just gone and run a new NR 2:00:58.
    What depth we have in the 800M, some day!

Four different women beat the old record this week alone...

Make that 5. Sensational stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Make that 5. Sensational stuff.

From Jon Mulkeen yesterday:
    The six fastest indoor 800m times in history by Irish women have all been set in the past 23 days.

Four of them were recorded today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Euro Indoors will be a good test to see has our standard improved, or is it just down to the recent advancements of spikes. PBs and records are bring broken left right and centre in middle distance right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Hamachi wrote: »
    Impressive depth. We could field a competitive 4x800m team at the world relays.

The world indoor record for the 4x800m is 8:05.89. The times achieved by Ireland's top four women this year add up to 8:04.71 - @Statman_Jon

-those times don't include Ciara Mageean who has gone even faster outdoors :eek:

And according to GSM: "No Irish athlete has access to plate spikes yet..."

dna_leri wrote: »
    The world indoor record for the 4x800m is 8:05.89. The times achieved by Ireland's top four women this year add up to 8:04.71 - @Statman_Jon

-those times don't include Ciara Mageean who has gone even faster outdoors :eek:

I don't believe that last bit.

The 15th fastest person in Europe this indoor season is 2:02.07. 15th fastest last indoor season 2:03.16, a differential of 1.09. Go down to 40th best in each year, and this season is 1.24 better. And not all of the best runners have even run this year given the relative lack of competitions. Definitely something going on.

Still impressive to see so many Irish ranked highly though. They should all be targeting semi final places in Torun, with Power targeting a final. If Siofra goes, she should be targeting a final too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The 15th fastest person in Europe this indoor season is 2:02.07. 15th fastest last indoor season 2:03.16, a differential of 1.09. Go down to 40th best in each year, and this season is 1.24 better. And not all of the best runners have even run this year given the relative lack of competitions. Definitely something going on.

Still impressive to see so many Irish ranked highly though. They should all be targeting semi final places in Torun, with Power targeting a final. If Siofra goes, she should be targeting a final too.

Definetly agree. The magic spikes definitely showing improvements. The New Balance spike now matching the Nike ones. Dutch athletes on fire at the moment Femke Bol especially all wearing New Balance. Elliot Giles run last week 1.43 beating seb Coes indoor record really shows the effect of this shoe technology.
    According to Jamie Webb second to Giles running 1.44 in an ordinary Addidas shoe he wont have access to the new Addidas version for another couple of months so exspect more records to be broken in the summer. Interesting to see how much quicker Nadia power and Mark English will run if they decide to use them when launched. Few nice nike and new balance spikes on display in Abbotstown and the states over the weekend.. That said great displays by Athletes over the last few weeks . Most had clean solo races this weekend Euros will be different rounds... lane draws.. tactics. Irish athletes can struggle with all this.. overcoached the lead up and repeated in following championshios not learning abd rolling out excuses afterwards.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

dna_leri wrote: »

I don’t believe that. NB has been supplying athletes.

I’d be surprised if SCB doesn’t have them being US based and sponsored by NB. Not knocking on her because I’m glad to see her kicking on. She was ranked when in Villanova and it felt like we never got to see the best of her in international events.

EDIT: Any teenage athlete could do a lot worse than look to Nadia Power as well as a means to not giving up. I feel like she’s only really started kicking on in the last 2/3 years? Was she this good as Junior level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Some great performances over the last week or so for the 800 but unfortunately I don't think we will be anywhere near the medals in Torun.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

Faugheen wrote: »
    I don’t believe that. NB has been supplying athletes.

I’d be surprised if SCB doesn’t have them being US based and sponsored by NB. Not knocking on her because I’m glad to see her kicking on. She was ranked when in Villanova and it felt like we never got to see the best of her in international events.

EDIT: Any teenage athlete could do a lot worse than look to Nadia Power as well as a means to not giving up. I feel like she’s only really started kicking on in the last 2/3 years? Was she this good as Junior level?
    Fully agree on SCB
    Nadia was a good youth and junior also ( just didn't medal internationally).
    She made the European junior final over 1500m. Great to see her make the transition from junior to senior so many don't

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Madrid indoors live on TG4 on Wednesday!

https://twitter.com/Cathal_Dennehy/status/1363877390586363907

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/bumper-irish-team-selected-for-european-indoors

Don't think I've seen such a talented team in Irish athletics if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

How many medals do we think is achievable?

• Advertisement

TeaTotal wrote: »
    How many medals do we think is achievable?

English and Mageean always have a shout when it comes to European medals.

Advertisement