Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Athletics 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Other countries don't have to deal with the conservatism that is NPHET.

Torun could have up to 500 people in that huge arena at any one time. We on the other hand have around 30 athletes per day spread out across several hours.

Even if Athletics Ireland had the imagination to showcase the sport right now, their hands would be fairly tied due to all the bureaucracy right now.

The live stream will be something to dip in and out of. Not sure how they'll kill 15-20 minute gaps.

Thats a fair point - was thinking afterwards, if AI was down on its hands and knees just to hold the event then they were in no position to start arguing over timetables.

Its a lot more than 20 minute gaps, couple of hours in some cases.

Still though, its something to consider for when restrictions relax. There is definitely an appetite there for it.

Kind of poignant looking at the Sean Tobin article saying one of his biggest challenges is worrying about rent and worrying about getting proper food.

Whatever about the rent - if its one thing the GAA seems to do well (at the elite level), and I dont think its something that costs huge money, its feeding its players properly before and especially after training sessions. I would imagine the olympic boxing team is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Kind of poignant looking at the Sean Tobin article saying one of his biggest challenges is worrying about rent and worrying about getting proper food.

Whatever about the rent - if its one thing the GAA seems to do well (at the elite level), and I dont think its something that costs huge money, its feeding its players properly before and especially after training sessions. I would imagine the olympic boxing team is similar.

GAA comunnity will get behind its members. For example GAA clubs aren't asking for membership right now while its not open.

GAA comunnity will get behind its members. For example GAA clubs aren't asking for membership right now while its not open.

Really? Not been my experience.

Anyway - to some extent thats immaterial, because GAA club revenues go to GAA clubs. Elite funding is a seperate pot that comes from Head Office which in turn is government funded directly and indirectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ceepo

These are the basics things in life, and if it wasn't for the generosity of Richard O Donovan, Sean would not be in a position to even be at the level he is at. While I fully appreciate the level Sean is at, it is very hard to progress when you're looking at (and worrying) about where the next few pound will come from, when you're making decisions around buying your running gear, food and accommodation.

• Advertisement

Ceepo wrote: »
    These are the basics things in life, and if it wasn't for the generosity of Richard O Donovan, Sean would not be in a position to even be at the level he is at. While I fully appreciate the level Sean is at, it is very hard to progress when you're looking at (and worrying) about where the next few pound will come from, when you're making decisions around buying your running gear, food and accommodation.

They were my thoughts also - its an added stress.

When you read about cycling in Europe - its very clear that, apart from the cyclists, the more important people are the sponsors. It doesnt happen without the sponsors.

The GAA here is probably setting the bar in terms of both tapping into community and tapping into the bigger corporate market for money.

Funny enough, in response to an earlier comment - I logged on to Facebook earlier today and there was a sponsored ad from Limerick GAA looking for people to subscribe to its monthly draw for a tenner a month.

It was interesting to read the Guardian article a few days back saying that Nike have stepped away from big boot sponsorship deals (Messi, Neymar) etc because quite simply not that many people are playing soccer. Way more people are running, and thats the market Nike is now concentrating on.

And thats certainly the case here. Lots of people run, way more adults run than play adult GAA or rugby. Ironically, if a GAA club wanted to raise funds - they are more likely to do it through a Club 5k than through a Club GAA match.

And at the other end, our elite runners are worrying about buying food?

To go back to the original point - we've watched a lot of athletics this winter at home, really its the only sport that the kids will all sit around and watch. And the main reason they do it is because there is an Irish person in the race, and they are cheering them on, thats what holds their interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

They were my thoughts also - its an added stress.

When you read about cycling in Europe - its very clear that, apart from the cyclists, the more important people are the sponsors. It doesnt happen without the sponsors.

The GAA here is probably setting the bar in terms of both tapping into community and tapping into the bigger corporate market for money.

Funny enough, in response to an earlier comment - I logged on to Facebook earlier today and there was a sponsored ad from Limerick GAA looking for people to subscribe to its monthly draw for a tenner a month.

It was interesting to read the Guardian article a few days back saying that Nike have stepped away from big boot sponsorship deals (Messi, Neymar) etc because quite simply not that many people are playing soccer. Way more people are running, and thats the market Nike is now concentrating on.

And thats certainly the case here. Lots of people run, way more adults run than play adult GAA or rugby. Ironically, if a GAA club wanted to raise funds - they are more likely to do it through a Club 5k than through a Club GAA match.

And at the other end, our elite runners are worrying about buying food?

To go back to the original point - we've watched a lot of athletics this winter at home, really its the only sport that the kids will all sit around and watch. And the main reason they do it is because there is an Irish person in the race, and they are cheering them on, thats what holds their interest.

Why anybody would donate money to a county board bankrolled by a lad with a net worth of 2.1 billion is beyond me!

Why doesn't Athletic Ireland run a lotto or a monthly draw where the funds can go to the elite athletes to support them?

Why anybody would donate money to a county board bankrolled by a lad with a net worth of 2.1 billion is beyond me!

To feel a part of the club, to help the club. Alot of Dublin clubs would have a lotto draw etc and loads would enter each week.

Our gaa club runs a last man standing in the soccer for fund raising also.

Doesn't generate alot but the club will at least get 400 euro out of this run

Why doesn't Athletic Ireland run a lotto or a monthly draw where the funds can go to the elite athletes to support them?

Absolutely - I'm not for a second criticising the GAA, I couldnt speak highly enough of it from personal experience.

Maybe a different way to look at it is that there is a lack of connect between the elite and the club runner, or even more so the non-club runner.

With GAA as you know - if you have a county player in your club, then he or she will most likely be a regular feature locally.

But bottom line is that its not good enough to read about elite athletes worrying about getting the right food. The support structures need to be better, and that requires money, and the most likely source is tapping into the wider running community in whatever way possible.

• Advertisement

To feel a part of the club, to help the club. Alot of Dublin clubs would have a lotto draw etc and loads would enter each week.

Our gaa club runs a last man standing in the soccer for fund raising also.

Doesn't generate alot but the club will at least get 400 euro out of this run

Bit hard to part with my hard earned money when the cause doesn't really need my money.

World of difference between Glennon Brothers sponsoring Longford and JP McManus bankrolling Limerick.

Would you donate money to Chelsea FC?

Absolutely - I'm not for a second criticising the GAA, I couldnt speak highly enough of it from personal experience.

Maybe a different way to look at it is that there is a lack of connect between the elite and the club runner, or even more so the non-club runner.

With GAA as you know - if you have a county player in your club, then he or she will most likely be a regular feature locally.

But bottom line is that its not good enough to read about elite athletes worrying about getting the right food. The support structures need to be better, and that requires money, and the most likely source is tapping into the wider running community in whatever way possible.

AAI are fairly strapped for cash. Their only income source is Sport Ireland funding. They tried to milk the fun running/recreational running side of things with mass participation races, but that's all gone now for obvious reasons.

Why don't they do a raffle? No idea to be honest. There's not a lot of imagination in there it seems. Feidhlim not working there anymore doesn't help in that regard.

Not defending them at all, but the financial situation of AAI and GAA would be a world of difference.

Bit hard to part with my hard earned money when the cause doesn't really need my money.

World of difference between Glennon Brothers sponsoring Longford and JP McManus bankrolling Limerick.

Would you donate money to Chelsea FC?

But Dublin has a massive sponsor deal also and people donate to the clubs.
    How much money is going to the bog standard club, we don't know.
    I don't like Chelsea :)

AAI are fairly strapped for cash. Their only income source is Sport Ireland funding. They tried to milk the fun running/recreational running side of things with mass participation races, but that's all gone now for obvious reasons.

Why don't they do a raffle? No idea to be honest. There's not a lot of imagination in there it seems. Feidhlim not working there anymore doesn't help in that regard.

Not defending them at all, but the financial situation of AAI and GAA would be a world of difference.

Yeah they are miles apart but they could do better.

I think a draw thing could work well. One of the prizes could be a top athlete visiting the kids in your club for a session

There is a top athlete living in where I am now, only for his twitter, I would of never known.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

People do donate to Chelsea, United, Liverpool etc. by buying shirts and subscribing to Sky Sports. Indirect, but it’s still a revenue flow.

Murph_D wrote: »
    People do donate to Chelsea, United, Liverpool etc. by buying shirts and subscribing to Sky Sports. Indirect, but it’s still a revenue flow.

Consumers. They get something in return. Couldn't call that a donation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

Incredible 800 with English and McPhillips.
    1.46.1 - English ( Senior record)
    1.46.13 - McPhillips (Junior Record)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TeaTotal wrote: »
    Incredible 800 with English and McPhillips.
    1.46.1 - English ( Senior record)
    1.46.13 - McPhillips (Junior Record)
    Fab race. Completely out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I didn't see mcphilips coming back and finishing like that. 1.46s thought i was seeing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Wottle

Wottle wrote: »
    https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/02/18/torun-on-the-mind-with-tokyo-in-view-as-mark-english-returns-to-action/

Really looking forward to seeing Mark English open his season, I've seen him in a few Instagram clips flyin around Abbotts Town. Would love to see some of the DTC magic happen for him. Feighlim Kelly doing a smashing job.

What a run from the two guys, full race below.
    DTC magic!
    https://twitter.com/Dee_Bee79/status/1363169069197897728?s=19

• Advertisement

Both should do well at the Euro indoors now. Fitzsimons in 3rd also got the standard

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

McPhillips’ time is the the 6th fastest indoor 800m by an U20 athlete ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Faugheen wrote: »

Wow. What a race. Can’t believe I’ve never heard of Cian McPhillips before. He looks like an incredibly exciting prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hamachi wrote: »
    Wow. What a race. Can’t believe I’ve never heard of Cian McPhillips before. He looks like an incredibly exciting prospect.

https://www.facebook.com/863058313816169/videos/980861508974719/

Strong 3k
    Travers -7.50

4 lads under 8mins, 3k looks a bit short for mcilhenny,

fay or mcilhenny for the euros?

Depends on the selection policy, McIlhenny has ran faster.
    Not often Ireland has 7 athletes under the qualifying time

Yep, a little short for him for sure. I heard him saying recently on a podcast he was considering stepping up to 10k as well

Faugheen wrote: »

some bunch of nobodies ahead of him on that list

Borzakivskiy at the top,
    Kaki (****e in german),
    Aman,
    Brazier (who)
    Kiptum then Mc Phillips.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s great to see so many athletes coming through across a broad range of events all the same. Of top quality as well with the ability to challenge for NRs.

Advertisement