Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Athletics 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

2.04ish for iseult o donnell. winner in 1.56ish. results and start list are hard to come by

• Registered Users Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭Trampas

OOnegative wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/dyj2SQ6BtFY

Beatrice Chepkoech broke Women’s Road 5k WR this morning in Monaco, races above.

It was awful coverage of women’s race. The cameras weren’t even with Chepkoech but other women

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Chepkoech beating a record set by Hassan, didn't see that coming wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Brian Fay and Luke McCann booking there seat for Torun

DTC now with a full complement

EuM9Ln7XYAQphfx?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

KSU wrote: »

Make that 4, Robinson with a 3.39.

When is the last time we had 2 sub 3.40s in a single year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

KSU wrote: »

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/planes-trains-and-automobiles-get-kellys-crew-in-euro-frame-40088542.html

Not all champagne & skittles for them either. Some dedication that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ceepo

The glitter of being elite athlete.
    Sean had the highest of praise for his pacing in the Rome Diamond league race, Sean then planned to raced in Kenya last autumn, shortly after racing a 3k in Spain, after the 3k he flew home for 24hrs, had a another covid test, before taking a flight to Amsterdam, there was a delay with his covid results which resulted in him missing his connecting flight to Kenya, had to wait in the airport for 24hrs for the next flight. Landed in Nairobi at 10pm, got to the hotel at 12.30 am, raced that day, rushed out of the stadium back to the hotel, quick shower and had to be back at the airport for 9.30pm to check in for his flight home.

Sometimes we the public don't take any of these circumstances into the equation when we critique how some athletes has performed..

Might be worth remembering that the vast majority of athletics have to endure these trial and tribulations to try earn a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Given his extensive contacts with meet directors across Europe, Bideau has been able to secure slots for DTC members at meetings. The only hitch has been they have been classified as GB runners. “I noticed it when I was checking in before the race,” says Tobin. “I assured them we were Irish, and they promised to change it. But the GB label still came up on television. I don’t know why it happened

That explains the flag I saw on the stream last week and then the French commentator constantly referring to Tobin as "Le Britanique".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/watchlive/5462

Live Athletics tonight from Orlen, Poland. Links above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Trampas wrote: »
    It was awful coverage of women’s race. The cameras weren’t even with Chepkoech but other women

They didnt even know she was leading till she crossed the line.

Coe and Paula were a disgrace though. Wouldn't address why Bahta was suspended, instead said she was off for the year.

Coe also mentioning the hotel, oh that is where we have our big meetings with a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Youtube is great for the indoor athletics. Just watch it at your own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

https://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/watchlive/5462

Live Athletics tonight from Orlen, Poland. Links above.
    Any Irish running tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

TeaTotal wrote: »

Nadia Power listed for the 800.

Men's 800 will see a GB smackdown between Giles, Langford and Webb.
    Giles looks to be in great form.

It's also live on BBC RB for those who get it. 5pm GMT

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

TeaTotal wrote: »

Yes, Nadia Power in the 800m. Here are the startlists.

We'll also see Genzebe Dibaba vs Chepkoech in the women's 3000, as well as Hailu who beat both Chepkoech and Hassan in Lievin.

Youtube is great for the indoor athletics. Just watch it at your own pace.
    If the live broadcast has already started can I watch from the start? Or do I have to wait until it's finished??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Yes, Nadia Power in the 800m. Here are the startlists.

We'll also see Genzebe Dibaba vs Chepkoech in the women's 3000, as well as Hailu who beat both Chepkoech and Hassan in Lievin.

Dibaba can't have many Kms left in the legs.

Itziger wrote: »
    Dibaba can't have many Kms left in the legs.

Well she didn't look too sharp today anyway, dropping out after requesting world record pace!

Another win for Hailu.

If the live broadcast has already started can I watch from the start? Or do I have to wait until it's finished??

You can pull the bar back to the start, I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Nadia Power - 3rd 2:00.98 (PB) in TORUŃ

Great time, she's making steady progress. Hopefully get the sub 2 soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Itziger wrote: »
    Great time, she's making steady progress. Hopefully get the sub 2 soon.

Giles with the fastest indoor 800 time in history by a European born athlete. Looked like he had more in the tank as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭4Ad

Brilliant run, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Irish Life Health Elite Micro Meet Sat 20th & Sun 21st. Athletes will compete for European qualifications & Cat E World ranking points towards Tokyo qualification.

Live Stream via Athletics Ireland YouTube Channel from 11.40am Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st February https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCopwh9YJuhQw0tyrNlFXXhA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Whats the deal with the new running spikes from Nike, having not looked into it much.

Am looking at Eliot Gilles yesterday, runs a stunning career PB aged 26. Records and PBs are being broken left right and centre at these indoor meets.

I amnt necessarily giving out about; but if you are New Balance athlete like Ciara Mageean, then are you now at a big disadvantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Irish Life Health Elite Micro Meet Sat 20th & Sun 21st. Athletes will compete for European qualifications & Cat E World ranking points towards Tokyo qualification.

Live Stream via Athletics Ireland YouTube Channel from 11.40am Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st February https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCopwh9YJuhQw0tyrNlFXXhA

These should be run over a two hour period on Saturday evening.

The general public is crying out for live sport at the moment. Have watched a lot of the indoor meets recently in Europe; and one thing Ive noticed is that they are snappy, one race finishes, another race starts, which is fantastic for the TV viewer. And they are at 8pm.

There is a definite opportunity for athletics here to get a TV audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Wottle

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/02/18/torun-on-the-mind-with-tokyo-in-view-as-mark-english-returns-to-action/

Really looking forward to seeing Mark English open his season, I've seen him in a few Instagram clips flyin around Abbotts Town. Would love to see some of the DTC magic happen for him. Feighlim Kelly doing a smashing job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Wottle wrote: »
    https://www.donegaldaily.com/2021/02/18/torun-on-the-mind-with-tokyo-in-view-as-mark-english-returns-to-action/

Really looking forward to seeing Mark English open his season, I've seen him in a few Instagram clips flyin around Abbotts Town. Would love to see some of the DTC magic happen for him. Feighlim Kelly doing a smashing job.

I'd say his move to DTC was a shock to his system.. Good to see he is sticking with it though.

Rumours that Mr Kelly has been appointed high performance coach at AI.....
    Na only joking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Whats the deal with the new running spikes from Nike, having not looked into it much.

Am looking at Eliot Gilles yesterday, runs a stunning career PB aged 26. Records and PBs are being broken left right and centre at these indoor meets.

I amnt necessarily giving out about; but if you are New Balance athlete like Ciara Mageean, then are you now at a big disadvantage?

I'm pretty sure Mageean was benefiting from advanced footwear last year too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    These should be run over a two hour period on Saturday evening.

The general public is crying out for live sport at the moment. Have watched a lot of the indoor meets recently in Europe; and one thing Ive noticed is that they are snappy, one race finishes, another race starts, which is fantastic for the TV viewer. And they are at 8pm.

There is a definite opportunity for athletics here to get a TV audience.

Other countries don't have to deal with the conservatism that is NPHET.

Torun could have up to 500 people in that huge arena at any one time. We on the other hand have around 30 athletes per day spread out across several hours.

Even if Athletics Ireland had the imagination to showcase the sport right now, their hands would be fairly tied due to all the bureaucracy right now.

The live stream will be something to dip in and out of. Not sure how they'll kill 15-20 minute gaps.

Advertisement